Micro HD and IR not in sink

jibaro29

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Lake Worth FL
This started happening a couple of weeks ago. I no longer can operate this unit using the IR. I have changed batteries, took the cover off and whipped it clean and nothing. I'm guessing I may have a dead remote. Any thoughts before I order a new remote?

I have had outside IR interference mess up my microHD remote signals. When I shaded the unit from other signal sources and used the remote up close it was fine. I found the source of the interference and all was good. Is it under warranty?

Use a digital camera to see if the IR emitter is flashing when a button is pressed on the remote control. The human eye cannot see the IR pulses, but a digital camera viewfinder screen will display the IR bursts.

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

I am a little bit embarrassed. I went back and replaced the new batteries with an old set I keep around and presto the remote started working again. I guess the new batteries weren't new after all.

Been there, done that. Store your 'spares' in the freezer to extend their shelf life.
Better yet, switch to rechargeable. (not suggesting any particular 'source', just linked one) ?Saves $$ ITLR.

Also glad to hear how to test one of these IR remotes as I've never heard of using a digital camera to do that. I guess you can teach an old dog a new trick, hey!

Also glad to hear how to test one of these IR remotes as I've never heard of using a digital camera to do that. I guess you can teach an old dog a new trick, hey!

Yep any IR remote you can check that way. Give it a try you can see it but the camera can.

I have had outside IR interference mess up my microHD remote signals. When I shaded the unit from other signal sources and used the remote up close it was fine. I found the source of the interference and all was good. Is it under warranty?

The same happens with mine, only with mine it doesn't work if I'm right up close to the Micro, there's a florescent light almost right above it on the ceiling causing the interference. Farther away, sitting in my chair, it's fine, except if I go too fast through the menus, then it gets mixed up and shuts itself off. Haven't yet tried to shield the sensor to see if that issue is interference from the light or not yet, hasn't quite annoyed me enough yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)