GEOSATpro MicroHD feature request: addressable remote capabiity

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
Any chance on adding addressable remote capability to the MicroHD firmware, so you can have multiple receivers next to each other and not have them all respond to a single remote?

If this isn't possible, is there another way to accomplish this task without going to the extreme that Scott is doing by using a Slingplayer setup to his second MicroHD? That's quite elegant, but too much work and cost if you don't already have a Slingplayer.

A lot of what I watch is SD video, and I already have an X2 as backup which is the same as the SatAv 1200. They don't match the high video quality of the MicroHD. The X2 while very nice for $56, still has some firmware tweaking needed to be done to it.

The ultimate for WAF is to have a second MicroHD, without having to go through hoops with "dueling remote" commands. I found a device that possibly can handle this for around $40~ dollars ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C1Z0HA/?tag=satell01-20 ), but why spend more money if there's any chance Brian can somehow do something in firmware?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure he's just going to say "no", but what about this...?
?And support to receiver firmware, for some generally available and inexpensive IR remote.
Something from the 99-cent store. ;)
(even if it only had user-controls, not programming capability, it might help many)

User selectable IR command setting was something that we considered early on, but found there to be minimal requests and a ton of programming. We may be able to eventually release the IR memory block to allow the end user to load their own IR dB profiles. Have had an open request for 8 months with ALI to allow this option. We will see if this is approved and implemented in the ALI Editor.

Sorry, but here is the brutal truth without any marketing spin... At this point it just doesn't make much business sense to increase the cost of the product and also to invest in R&D, a new RCU mold and product testing to provide an official remote with this function.

User selectable IR codes would require a new upgraded and redesigned remote with user selectable output. The factory minimum order quantity of the remote is 3000 units at double the RCU cost. At this stage of the product lifecycle (estimated to be 1 - 1.5 remaining years), I wouldn't forecast a market demand increase by including an addressable remote or selling 3000 addressable remotes ala carte. It is unlikely that we could increase the suggested retail price as competing STB prices continue to decrease in order to include the upgraded remote as a standard accessory. The COG (Cost Of Goods) would increase with likely minimal potential of a sales increase.

FYI: I modified my STBs with a SPST switch to disable/enable the IR. This allows me to program each receiver independently and not have my daily scanner microHD interfere with programming of the DVR units.

Last edited:
FYI: I modified my STBs with a SPST switch to disable/enable the IR. This allows me to program each receiver independently and not have my daily scanner microHD interfere with programming of the DVR units.

Well, I sure have to admit I NEVER thought of this one! lol. That could work...

I don't use the remote, I program my own.
I wonder if you can still support two remotes by checking for Protocol, Device, Subdevice and 2 HEX values
so Power is for example.
#define Power_1 NEC1 Device 64 Hex 0x10
#define Power_2 NEC1 Device 64 Hex 0xA0 // 0x10+0x90
if (Power_1 || Power_2) Cycle_Power_Function //"This is an crude example of course"

Or whatever scheme that allows you to use 2 or 3 HEX values for the same Remote Pressed.

You would only sell one remote but people could buy an off the shelf remote and knowing the protocol/device/subdevice and HEX Table could program their second on their own.
There are plenty of HEX values that are not used.
But I agree the percentage of the population that would use this would be limited, If I have 2 receivers connected they are normally different brands.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)