MicroHD freaks out

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
Weird things can happen when you least expect. I get a call that the C-Band dish is no longer moving, ER2 on the VBox. So after a bit of checking with the DVOM I determined the VBox has failed. There is no power to the motor from the VBox. As luck would have it, my buddy has an extra VBox :) Installed it real quick and the dish is moving again. So to complete the job I start to program the sat positions into the replacement VBox. I get to the last sat and programed the position with the VBox remote as I did with all the others. I then go to surf thru a few sats with the microHD remote and the receiver starts to freak out. First it seems to ignore the remote commands and then it won't stop responding to them. IE hit the info button and it continually cycles thru both info screens and then off and repeat and repeat and repeat until you power off the MicroHD. Any remote command is continually repeated over and over by the receiver. Well it's almost useless that way. My buddy says let's try the other MicroHD from upstairs. Well would you believe it's doing the exact same thing, freaking out to the remote commands. I said there is IR interference happening here. I could shade the microHD and it would behave normally. Finally figured it out. When I hit the enter button on the VBox remote to assign the last sat position the enter button stuck down. The MicroHD wouldn't respond to that signal but mix it with the microHD remote signals and it goes crazy. Lesson learned, if the micro does this to you look for a interfering remote :)

Good story I have ran into this before with different remote controlled devices.

My wife is famous for allowing one of the remotes to get squeezed between couch cushions, and to have them happily crank out commands until the batteries go dead. Luckily it rarely results in uncontrollable devices so far.

I do NOT ever leave my MicroHD remote sitting near the couch when I'm out of the room. I also have a couple cats that like nothing better then to walk on my remotes, or my laptop keyboard causing all sorts of havoc! lol.

Wanna hear a funny story about cats.
No
Well here it is anyway.

Ok first of all this is a true story.

A few years ago, I had a few friends over and we were having some beers and such. Well we got around to turning up the stereo and jamming out. We were "partying I guess". It was fun we were trying karaoke, that I had just set up..etc. I didn't drink as much as they did, one guy was way wasted and he fell asleep on the couch(ok he passed out). Anyway we all finally around midnight crashed and went to bed. I remember going around for a final check and making sure I had all car keys and hidden. Then I got on the computer and messed around for awhile and then, finally went to bed myself at around 1 or so.

At exactly 3:13 in the morning I got woke up to loud Metallica Music. The guy on the couch had fell in the floor and was freaking out(again glad I only had a couple beers). I ran into the living room and shut off the stereo. I was scratching my head though for a minute, while he ran off puking. Then I figured it out my cat had decided that laying on the CD changer remote was a good idea, and proceeded to turn on the CD player wide open.

Evidently someone paused or stopped the CD that was playing and did not turn off the stereo. The cat was on the CD Changer remote and was looking pissed. :D

Again True Story....I will never forget that night. The guy on the floor yelling and freaking out was priceless.

A footnote to the failed DMS International VBox 7: I opened it up and found a blown glass fuse F2AL 250V :) Not sure what the fuse is trying to protect with that low of amperage. The relays maybe?