MicroHD: Pre-programmed scan vs Blind scan

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Yesterday I reaimed and rewired the Ku dish setup. Had to use a S10 receiver for the aiming due to the lcd screen not having HDMI.
Once adjusted... S10 blind scan resulted in 423 channels (58w-125w).
After I finished the wiring inside, the MicroHD blindscan(normal) picked up 240 channels. Deleted the channels and rescaned using
Blind Scan-detailed... only picked up 3 sats (87w, 97w and 101w). Deleted and tried pre-programmed scan, resulted in just over 320 channels.

Any suggestions/ideas as to why the blind scan would pick up less channels than the pre-set scan?

Cheers, K

Set-up:

39" offset, MicroHD receiver, geosat sl1pll lnb.

I am somewhat disappointed with the blind scanning of the MicroHD. It is my impression that it misses more channels than my old Pansat 2700A did. I'm not talking about a sensitivity problem here but channels that are missed on blind scan but lock when you put in the same TP info yourself. It's better than nothing though.

DRCars

I am somewhat disappointed with the blind scanning of the MicroHD. It is my impression that it misses more channels than my old Pansat 2700A did. I'm not talking about a sensitivity problem here but channels that are missed on blind scan but lock when you put in the same TP info yourself. It's better than nothing though.

DRCars

Funny you mention this as I just got a new Micro HD in the mail yesterday and I'm getting the same thing. The Openbox S9 that's also connected to this system will find more channels/TPs than this Micro? I've found that I can enter those missing TPs manually and the Micro will lock them then but it misses quite a few when scanning in both scan modes.

I'm wondering if it's the firmware?? Mine has the 2013-06-26 firmware in it out of the box.

My dealer suggested I do the preprogrammed blind scan edit my findings and then do the detailed blind scan and edit. This seems to pick up the most. I have not tried the normal scan though.

My Micro is slaved and I have a feedhorn with lnb's so not using USALS.

My dealer suggested I do the preprogrammed blind scan edit my findings and then do the detailed blind scan and edit.

And it takes how long to do that??

I've timed the "detailed" blind scan on mine and average for that is around 8/9 minutes, and that's with zero TPs saved at the start. Average scan time for a normal scan is about 4 minutes. Haven't done a preprogrammed scan as I delete all existing TPs on each satellite before I scan it.

Here's an example on 87w. After deleting everything and performing a blind scan, it only picks up the MTA channels. Pre-Programmed scan picked up MTA, PBS and more.

Last edited:
Here's an example on 87w. After deleting everything and performing a blind scan, it only picks up the MTA channels. Pre-Programmed scan picked up MTA, PBS and more.

According to the Micro HD's user manual on page 35 the "pre programmed" scan function only scans TPs that are already stored. If there are no TPs stored for the satellite scanned then it doesn't find anything so it's basically just for refreshing the channel list from existing TPs. And BTW, I did confirm this with my Micro also.

On another note, 37W is one satellite that had missing TPs on my previous scans, ie, "Normal" scan and "Detailed" scan so this morning I went to 37W, deleted the 2 TPs that I had entered manually and did a "Normal" scan that gave me nothing. So I then did a "Detailed" scan and the Micro did find 3 TPs so it seems to be working better than it did Saturday when I first scanned that satellite. That's odd too as Saturday it was sunny and clear and this morning it's overcast with rain in the forecast?? Oh well. At least it's working better now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)