GEOSATpro MicroHD receiver suddenly refuses to record.

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
I have a bunch of timer recordings every day, and they've always worked fine. The last one that fired was tonight at 6pm, for Metv1, and normally records 1 hour. It only recorded 35:05 and stopped.

Now, if I even manually try to record something, the red light comes on, I can set it for however long I want, but the drive doesn't start up. If you go into the drive and look at where it thinks it's recording, it's like this: 00/00/0000 COZI TV (should be month, day, year at the zeros) and it's not actually recording.

I did see a message come up: "Limit: CAN not record!"

The drive dvr info shows this in the menu:

USB Disk A : 698.63GB
Volume: [uda1]MicroHD
Total Size: 698.63GB
Free Size: 509.54GB
Rec Size: 698.47GB
TMS Size: 0 GB
File System: NTFS

I can play back recordings just fine, just can't record. Any ideas? It acts like the drive is FULL, but it can't be, as it only shows as 27% full.

Ok, I just deleted an old recording, and I was then able to start a new one that is working fine. So, the receiver is convinced that the drive is FULL, even though it is clearly NOT full.

So, I'm going to off-load all the recordings, reformat the drive, and put them back on again. I just hope it doesn't change the date-stamps of the recordings, as a lot of them are keepers, and I want the dates to stay the same.

Formatted as NTFS - I wonder what would happen if you hooked it up to a PC, then just tried running a chkdsk /f /r on the drive. (After copying files off, and before reformatting of course.) Be prepared to wait a while for the process to run if there are bad sectors.

Not sure why it happened, but I finally got all the data (over 100gigs) transferred off, and I'm doing a full format now. I've got 3 of these WD Mybook drives, and this is the first one that the receiver thought it was full when it's not. One on this Micro, one on an X2 HD, and one on my Dish VIP722k that has even more shows on it.

So, unless it's just a fluke, if it filled the index as you say, then I'd say it's some sort of a bug in the MicroHD firmware.

I wonder if the MicroHD does have some sort of hard limit for recordings, or index entries?

Last edited:
It took two hours to copy off the data, 8 hours to do a FULL pc NTFS format, then connect to the MicroHD and do a MicroHD format NTFS, then two more hours to copy the data back.

It DID keep the original time stamps on the files. Hopefully, this will fix it up and it'll go back to properly recording as it should. I just hope the MicroHD doesn't have some sort of limit as to how much it can record, regardless of the size of the drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)