Microsoft Surface Pro

I just got the 8.1 invite too, but would be afraid wiping out the surface to load it on.

I am still unsure if I am going to keep the surface or not. I am still not getting use to it.

Pro supports java and flash if you need that.

Probably the best reason for you is your work. Wether one likes it or not, going to have to learn it because as the years go by, microsoft will be pushing corporate in this dirrection.

The version of 8.1 that I could download is the TechNet preview. It was just a full ISO. I am sure there is a way to do an upgrade but didn't want to go through that process. If they are sending out the update via the Windows Store then that is an interesting way of pushing it out.

Just by going here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-download

I was able to download an update, restart, and then it was displayed prominently in the store for me to complete the update.

Doing the same now on my desktop.

Edit: about 50 minutes later and it's done. Already love the new search and the more functional and useful store UI. Wow.

Also, run the windows updates, Steam for example wouldn't work until I did.

Last edited:
Been testing the 3D capabilities of my Surface Pro lately.

I can report that it fully supports 3D video from installed Vegas Pro v12. All that is needed is plugging in a 3D monitor ( I used a passive 32" Vizio) using the mini display port output to HDMI cable adapter. While my initial tests used Vegas Pro as a playback software of some MVC 3D video, I do have a 3D BluRay USB powered optical drive I will soon be testing as well. But the video output from the Surface Pro does support Line Alternate video signals which surprised me.

The test of 3D BluRay Playback on the Surface Pro worked great. Smooth and high quality. I was not able to get the audio to transfer through the HDMI to the 3D TV but it played fine from the Surface Pro, so for high quality stereo, I just connected a pair of headphones. A single charge on the battery played for 3 hours and 30 minutes using a total USB powered BluRay Player connected to the single USB port on the Surface Pro. I used the following 3D Blu Ray Player:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00632RJJY/?tag=satell01-20

The drive comes with player software for regular DVD but you need to buy the 3D player software, not cheap.

http://www.cyberlink.com/store/index_en_US.html?r=1

I don't "need" a laptop. So far this Surface Pro does everything I "Need" and wanted in a new windows machine for travel. I stopped traveling with my laptop a couple years ago due to airport security harassment. The Surface and ipad gets no special attention in security. You wouldn't understand this if you don't get harassed because you don't have medical implants.
At one time I felt I needed an optical drive and this is why I never got a netbook or new air book, Mac. But with so little use of it recently, having the USB portable drive I described works out great. The optical drive is not a need, it is just testing now to show what the system is capable of doing. The idea is that when traveling, I can do just about anything I can do here in the office.

There is a limit of only microSD cards for storage expansion and just one USB connection but there is now a 3rd party device that expands the single USB port to two and it also has several slots for large capacity standard SD cards and a micro USB port. It is designed with a slanted side so it plugs into the Surface matching the Surface case design.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7AQXQQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I realize the part about airport security being a hassle, but if I'm going to have to haul a bunch of accessories around to get by with my tablet, I would rather just take my laptop.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

To each his own. Been there done both. I know what is easier. Tablets rule! I take what I will use. My ipad and Surface Pro stacked in my carry on is less space than my old Dell XPS 1210. If I need a Blu Ray 3D player, I have that. What laptop has a 3D Blu Ray Player?

I use my tablet for 80% of work. Not a big deal, just one of convenience. Why carry a bunch of accessories for a tablet when my laptop has it all built in and takes up the same space in my bag. As to a bluray player. I dont see the need for one at home let alone in a laptop or on a tablet. You are that .001% that would have a need for that

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Only time for that is when at the hotel and I want to watch a movie on disk. I do carry a collection of accessories, even with the laptop. Like headphones, USB speakers, mouse, ink jet printer/scanner, even a cable to connect to the room TV. I also have a small projector and a foldup 4x7' screen that fits in my suitcase. One year I brought the projector and screen on the cruise ship and we watched movies in our room. My go bag of stuff is not that big but I enjoy setting up on the road. I'm sure I am in that .0001% but it is what I like to do.

Only time for that is when at the hotel and I want to watch a movie on disk. I do carry a collection of accessories, even with the laptop. Like headphones, USB speakers, mouse, ink jet printer/scanner, even a cable to connect to the room TV. I also have a small projector and a foldup 4x7' screen that fits in my suitcase. One year I brought the projector and screen on the cruise ship and we watched movies in our room. My go bag of stuff is not that big but I enjoy setting up on the road. I'm sure I am in that .0001% but it is what I like to do.

Hey enjoying hobbies and such is good. If I am going to be gone more than a couple of days, I take a few things like that with me, mainly my wdtv live hub.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)