Midday outages - due to sun?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

weegmc

Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
I've had no problems with my service for the last 8 months or so - now every day around 11 Am to 3 PM I expereince intermiitant outages. DTV support is of no help and a dispatched technician wasn't much better. Has anyone expereince this before? Is it a case of glare somehow effecting the dish ability to pick up the signal? Thanks.

It sounds like it could be a bad LNB or possibly a mult-switch. Sun spots can give sat reception fits, but the usually take place in the Fall and Spring.

dfergie said:
:welcome to SatelliteGuys, the sun outage's occur around the fall and spring equinoxes, more likely your LNB is going south and the heat is affecting it...
You must have been posting as I was typing. Sorry about that!:)

weegmc said:
I've had no problems with my service for the last 8 months or so - now every day around 11 Am to 3 PM I expereince intermiitant outages. DTV support is of no help and a dispatched technician wasn't much better. Has anyone expereince this before? Is it a case of glare somehow effecting the dish ability to pick up the signal? Thanks.

Before you do anything drastic, I wanted to inform you that my tech support person on Dish told me that my problem, similar to yours, is due to the mid-day sun bearing down on the dish, and that there was nothing that they could do about it...and that it was happening all over the country...and I have a neighbor on Dish that is experiencing the same problems. I have had this unit for over a year, and this problem has been going on for about 2 months now.

warren45840 said:
my tech support person on Dish told me that my problem, similar to yours, is due to the mid-day sun bearing down on the dish, and that there was nothing that they could do about it...and that it was happening all over the country...

They are full of it. YES, it is because of the sun (not a sun outage) BUT its happening because you have a cheap or bad LNB!. I have had mine for YEARS in the PHOENIX sun without these issues; get a new LNB ASAP.

:) sun outages are when the sun is directly behind the sat your on it lasts no longer than 15 to 20 min a day for about 2 weeks late October. no one is experiencing any sun outages any time soon. its a bad lbn when the dish heats up its also reflecting the sun right at the lbn. when the sun goes down and it cools the lbn recovers. this is not normal they are designed to tolerate this. does it work ok at night? is the signal ok when you see the sun at where your dish is pointing (look down the lbn arm behind the dish to see where its pointing) i would call them up and say you have no picture any time get them out to change the lbn. get the warranty to cover it. further Prof ; http://www.panamsat.com/global_network/tools.asp and http://www.spacecom.com/customer_tools/html/body_sun_outage.htm

warren45840 said:
Before you do anything drastic, I wanted to inform you that my tech support person on Dish

Dish Has Tech Support? LOL j/k

I'm with Charper, Bad or Going Bad LNB, in fact LOL like my 3rd service call ever was a woman, whom i thought was crazy when she said " on a beautiful day when the sun is shining it goes out, but it comes on when it's about to rain or when it gets cloudy"

I changed her LNB, poof problem be gone.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)