Might switch from Dish. Questions...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AlaJoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
1) I have wired Cat 6 gigabit networking at each tv location with internet access. Does direct allow the boxes to phone home over the internet? I do not have home phone service. Is that an issue?

2)When I price things on line it would appear I can get 1 DVR free, a second for $99, a third for $199 and a fourth plain box for free. Will I be getting 3 of the HR24s. I think this is directs latest DVR. If I am paying $300 for the privilege to rent their boxes I do not want old technology.

3) Is the refer a friend promotion on top of any other promotion? As in if I get my neighbors direct account number will I get an additional $10 a month of for ten months along with my neighbor on top of anything else?

4) Will I be able to watch anything on any of the dvrs from any other location in the house?

5) With whole house dvr service If I set 3 things to record at the same time does the dvr just automatically pick an available tuner from one of the three dvrs to record the third show on or do I have to set up the third show from the other dvr.

6) If I buy the Over The Air module does that give me the ability to record 4 shows at once on one dvr while watching a previously recorded show? Lets take this a step further. If it does can I be recording 4 shows at the same time while watching 3 shows that were recorded on that dvr from the other 3 dvrs in the house?

7) Do the the direct DVR remotes have learning ability to where you can program any remote to it. I have a couple of really oddball components and have to use the learning feature of my Dish 722 remotes but it works great and I get all the remotes combined into one remote.

8) Can I set a recording from the plain non DVR box? IF so what DVR does it choose to record from?

9) How does the responsiveness compare when watching a show from one box on another. For example if I record a show on DVR 1 and watch it on DVR 2 or plain box 4 will it FF and RW as quickly and respond as quickly to remote commands as watching it on the DVR it is recorded on?

Thanks for anyone willing to answer this. I know it is long but If I make this change I want to know what I am getting into. I really appreciate any responses

Joe

1) I have wired Cat 6 gigabit networking at each tv location with internet access. Does direct allow the boxes to phone home over the internet? I do not have home phone service. Is that an issue?

You do not need a phone line. The systems will use ethernet to phone home.

2)When I price things on line it would appear I can get 1 DVR free, a second for $99, a third for $199 and a fourth plain box for free. Will I be getting 3 of the HR24s. I think this is directs latest DVR. If I am paying $300 for the privilege to rent their boxes I do not want old technology.

If the installer comes and tries to give you anything but a H24 or HR24 just say you refuse the install. They will find you the boxes to get you signed up.

4) Will I be able to watch anything on any of the dvrs from any other location in the house?

As long as you sign up for the MRV service

5) With whole house dvr service If I set 3 things to record at the same time does the dvr just automatically pick an available tuner from one of the three dvrs to record the third show on or do I have to set up the third show from the other dvr.

Right now you can only record on the current DVR. You would need to use Driectv.com or just go to the other DVR to schedule something.

6) If I buy the Over The Air module does that give me the ability to record 4 shows at once on one dvr while watching a previously recorded show? Lets take this a step further. If it does can I be recording 4 shows at the same time while watching 3 shows that were recorded on that dvr from the other 3 dvrs in the house?

Only two shows at a time on each DVR. You can record a third item if you are also recording from the On Demand services at the same time.

8) Can I set a recording from the plain non DVR box? IF so what DVR does it choose to record from?

It asks you what DVR you want to record to. This is only with the MRV service.

9) How does the responsiveness compare when watching a show from one box on another. For example if I record a show on DVR 1 and watch it on DVR 2 or plain box 4 will it FF and RW as quickly and respond as quickly to remote commands as watching it on the DVR it is recorded on?

There is a lag if you are watching something from another DVR. It is no big deal to me but others seem to think the lag is a bad thing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)