Mike Lowell to Yankees?

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
With all the attention being paid to the ARod situation few people seem to notice that the Yankees are apparently still talking to Mike Lowell. Some reports have them intending to move him to first others seem to think he may still wind up playing third there.

Personally I want him to stay with Boston. But if they won't offera four year deal he might be tempted.

Why would he play third if A-Rod is coming back? I heard first base and that makes more sense now with the latest A-Rod story.

That is certainly the more plausible of the two scenarios. I am just reporting that it has been reported that he may play third---and perhaps such rumors are just to throw the fear of God into ARod---after all the signing is not official.

Last edited:
Move A-Rod to first, that way he would not have to throw anymore.

Personally, I don't see this move being made, (Lowell to NY) I think it's to see if Boston will budge on thier offer.
How old is Lowell ?

Jimbo

Move A-Rod to first, that way he would not have to throw anymore.

Personally, I don't see this move being made, (Lowell to NY) I think it's to see if Boston will budge on thier offer.
How old is Lowell ?

Jimbo

33 almost 34. But he just had a good post seson and his team won the championship so he must be worth more than ARod right?

33 almost 34. But he just had a good post seson and his team won the championship so he must be worth more than ARod right?

At 34, would you really give this guy a 4 year contact, this past year was his best year, I think he's normally a .280 hitter.

I think the BoSox 3 year offer was waht he should expect.

That said, the BoSox have a way of getting rid of people at the right time.

(Damon, Martinez ect.)

Jimbo

At 34, would you really give this guy a 4 year contact, this past year was his best year, I think he's normally a .280 hitter.

I think the BoSox 3 year offer was waht he should expect.

That said, the BoSox have a way of getting rid of people at the right time.

(Damon, Martinez ect.)

Jimbo

But a CONSISTANT performer! When he was traded from a pitcher friendly stadium in Miami to hitter friendly Fenway...EVERYONE down here knew he was going to have monster numbers. As a COMPLETE 3rd basemen(hitting AND fielding), TO ME, there is NONE better in the American League....period!
The Red Sox would be making a HUGE mistake NOT to re-sign him. PLUS, he is a VERY POSITIVE influence in the clubhouse AND he will NOT cause OFF FIELD distactions....

Jimbo has correctly captured the Sox viewpoint on this. Current management would rather cuta player loose too early than too late and they are willing to take fan heat for doing so (Damon, Garciaparra). The Sox have only offered three years the other offers are apparently for 4. I have no idea if the Sox will sweeten the pot for the 3 to at least be equal to 3/4 of the other deals but they do not seem to want to budge on 3 years vs. 4.

Persaonlly I would hate to see him go. I don't think that we are in the running for Cbrear so I wonder who we will wind up witha t third.

But a CONSISTANT performer! When he was traded from a pitcher friendly stadium in Miami to hitter friendly Fenway...EVERYONE down here knew he was going to have monster numbers. As a COMPLETE 3rd basemen(hitting AND fielding), TO ME, there is NONE better in the American League....period!
The Red Sox would be making a HUGE mistake NOT to re-sign him. PLUS, he is a VERY POSITIVE influence in the clubhouse AND he will NOT cause OFF FIELD distactions....

Actually I HOPE he stays in Boston.
As for over all 3B Yes you are correct.
To me Brandon Inge is as good or better (probably a little better) fielder, but Lowell is much better hitter.
JMO

Jimbo

Actually I HOPE he stays in Boston.
As for over all 3B Yes you are correct.
To me Brandon Inge is as good or better (probably a little better) fielder, but Lowell is much better hitter.
JMO

Jimbo

Well, Lowell is not the flashy type....he just ALWAYS make the routine plays and makes difficult ones easy. I really hope he does NOT go to the Yankees to play 1b. I mean he is a better 3rd baseman than A-Rod...and A-Rod was a better shortstop than Jeter....go figure...:rolleyes:

so where would you put Jeter?

IF Lowell went to NY to play 3rd, and A-Rod is a SS then Jeter would move to 2B, but he would not accept such a thing ...
Jeter should have moved to 3B when A-Rod got there as A-Rod was the better SS, but would have nothing of doing that.

Jimbo

IF Lowell went to NY to play 3rd, and A-Rod is a SS then Jeter would move to 2B, but he would not accept such a thing ...
Jeter should have moved to 3B when A-Rod got there as A-Rod was the better SS, but would have nothing of doing that.

Jimbo

You hit it RIGHT ON THE BUTTON....as much as I am NOT a A-Rod fan, people would be surprised how much an ego Jeter has. Think of this.....since A-Rod came to the Yankees, he sacrified and went to 3rd and now, though he WILL BE the highest paid baseball player of all time...he had to eat humble pie to COME BACK to the Yankees AND PAY the Yankees the $27 million that the Yankees had to eat for the Texas deal....I doubt Jeter would EVER do that. I have not heard him ever say ANYTHING about "restructering his contract" to sign a pitcher or anything of that nature.

You hit it RIGHT ON THE BUTTON....as much as I am NOT a A-Rod fan, people would be surprised how much an ego Jeter has. Think of this.....since A-Rod came to the Yankees, he sacrified and went to 3rd and now, though he WILL BE the highest paid baseball player of all time...he had to eat humble pie to COME BACK to the Yankees AND PAY the Yankees the $27 million that the Yankees had to eat for the Texas deal....I doubt Jeter would EVER do that. I have not heard him ever say ANYTHING about "restructering his contract" to sign a pitcher or anything of that nature.

Actually, I want to adjust my statement from previous.
IF Lowell were to come to NY they should move A-Rod to 1b and lowell to 3rd and leave mr perfect alone (Jeter) that said, I rally do like both Jeter and A-Rod.
Unfortunatly, they play for the Yankees.

Jimbo

Actually, I want to adjust my statement from previous.
IF Lowell were to come to NY they should move A-Rod to 1b and lowell to 3rd and leave mr perfect alone (Jeter) that said, I rally do like both Jeter and A-Rod.
Unfortunatly, they play for the Yankees.

Jimbo

I commend you...but I won't take mine back...LOL...I don't like either and Jeter less because of the wanna-be goodie-goodie roll he tries to pull over everyone.

As a long time Yankee fan I would love to see Mike Lowell playing for them. As good as ARod is I have to admit that I have gotten tired of hearing about him. ARod this and ARod that. It takes 9 players to play the game, but all we hear is ARod.

As a long time Yankee fan I would love to see Mike Lowell playing for them. As good as ARod is I have to admit that I have gotten tired of hearing about him. ARod this and ARod that. It takes 9 players to play the game, but all we hear is ARod.

But here is the problem....you Yankees fans don't use that argument, you use the 'A-Rod never lead us to a championship'....and truth be told, IF IT WEREN'T for A-Rod, you guys would have NEVER made the playoffs....he CARRIED that team COMPLETELY!