MINI-NES Classic Edition

I dunno.. it's hard for me to get excited about stuff like this when it's very simple to to get every NES game ever released for free online and play it with an emulator. I remember when I was younger I loaded up my laptop with all the games and 2 USB controllers and I essentially had a portable NES/SNES/GENS/TG-16/N64 device. And it's also harder to get excited by this when you can get a Retron system that'll play numerous system games in both cartridge and ROM form.

Still I do recognize that I'm not the target market. I'm sure though there are quite a few people my age with kids that'll pick this up as a quick and accessible way to play these classics with them again.

I find it to be an excellent addition, since my kids like some of those old games, and I've forbidden them from downloading emulators & roms onto their laptops (too many viruses).

They already have a Retron 3, but this makes a very nice addition, especially with the hdmi port and 30 built in games.

Not to mention downloading the games in ROM form is illegal...most people think they're freeware now, but most aren't.
True, but in some cases ROMs are the only way to play certain games, not to mention it also preserves them. Cartridges fail over time, while ROMs can last forever via direct data copy.

Count me in for this. This was my childhood. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

If the interest on this website is any indication it seems like this will do pretty well with the general public. Too bad they didn't include an SD card slot so they could sell more bundles of games instead of just the 30 that come pre-installed. I wonder if this will be a one time thing or if they will sell additional mini NES consoles with different sets of games on them. What about a mini SNES?

The thing that many people who fell out of gaming sometime after the NES/SNES era might not realize is that these games have been available for about $5 each in Nintendo's virtual console store on the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS for years. Of course, you would spend about $150 to buy all 30 of these games that way instead of $60 for this console.

It's a shame it isn't expandable. I'd be much more interested if I could add additional games at over time.

I do wish Nintendo would have included an expansion slot as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Nah... easier for them to just sell a "Volume 2" if they want to sell more games. Thing is that if this is wildly successful then these other game companies will likely be willing to include their games in subsequent releases. Also, I don't believe any of these "official" units like from Sega and Atari allowed for expansion with the exception of a Genesis that I saw that still took cartridges, and there's no way Nintendo was going to bother with that.

All this talk about this version, I may have to fire up the original tonight for some tecmo bowl:)

they need to come out with a Atari,NES and Sega that includes all games pre installed , that would excite me!
I wouldn't hold my breath on that, but there do already exist Atari and Sega retro game packages on Amazon. They appear to be of mixed quality though.

It's a shame it isn't expandable. I'd be much more interested if I could add additional games at over time.
There's a reason it's not. This way they can sell a version 2 (with more games), and then 3, etc...
Just like is done with the Atari Flashback.

The only "flashback" system I'm aware of that has a cartridge slot, is the one for the Sega Genesis.

I wonder if you can use a Wii classic controller (or better yet, the gamecube version of the classic controller), because I hated the original NES controller. The dogbone was a huge upgrade.

True, but in some cases ROMs are the only way to play certain games, not to mention it also preserves them. Cartridges fail over time, while ROMs can last forever via direct data copy.
I agree with that, so have no problem ripping Dreamcast CD's I already own. Especially since they scratch so easy (thank you dreamcast for not having any copy protection, sega CD as well).

With cartridges though, never went through the effort to get a Flash Cart to put games on. But I would have not problem with getting rom's for games I already own (it's legal to rip copies of your own property).

I wonder if you can use a Wii classic controller (or better yet, the gamecube version of the classic controller), because I hated the original NES controller. The dogbone was a huge upgrade.
It uses the same controller port as the Wii Remote, so you could use those classic controllers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts