Mini TV with Mini SAT receiver for pointing dishes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

polgyver

Creative Tinkerer
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 21, 2010
Toronto
Usually, for pointing a dish, small TV and receiver is helpful close to the tuned dish. The biggest problem is the extension cord. The best solution is specialized satellite meter, but it is rather expensive. As an alternative, I assembled on a piece of plywood small TV and very small sat receiver. This receiver was bought from e-bay, for around $17. TV cost me much more, but it is not dedicated only for dish pointing. Green batteries have been salvaged from damaged Makita drill. Probably, instead of mini TV, a small DVD player also could be used... Four photographs follow. Cheers, polgyver
IMG_0852.JPGIMG_0859.JPGIMG_0846.JPGIMG_0848.JPG

I use the KISS principle. Yeah, I'm lazy. Receiver in the house with audio & video sent to a ntsc modulator. Channel sent to dish location on spare coax. Portable 7 in television.
Think if there's no spare coax, temporarily using a diplexer???? Have a few left over from:
Back in the days of installing the 'first generation' DTV, USSB. I had a small 12v B&W television in a homemade box with a 7 amp gel cel and an inverter to power the customers receiver at the dish. Good thing they had the beep function as sometimes the video was 'trashed' for some reason. Manufacturing tolerances of the receivers????

I've considered using a coax run from the inside receiver out to the dish. It's a good idea, but you do lose the ability to control the receiver. I was considering a Slingbox until I heard of the lag issue.

You could still control the receiver with a remote control extender but only if 'in range'. For true wireless, one would have to battery power it. But for general tune ups I rarely have to run in to change tp.

To solve this I got a birdog. I know they're expensive but OMG did it make a difference. I can find and fine tune in a mater of minutes.

Congrats on the ingenuity though!

Using a pro meter kind of takes the fun out of the countless hours spent trying to location the sat, not to mention the hair pulling, cursing, yell at wife and maybe even kick the dog!

Gonna have to seek out an anger management program.. :D:D

Polgyver,
How well does the TV work for ATSC reception? I am looking for a meter for aiming TV antennas, and a small TV like that might work ok if it has a signal meter built in...

satellite receiver and tv ON and in the signal menu. Take laptop and point webcam at TV. Skype call to my android phone on the same WIFI network. Mobile signal meter! No wires or batteries or purchases.

Polgyver,
How well does the TV work for ATSC reception? I am looking for a meter for aiming TV antennas, and a small TV like that might work ok if it has a signal meter built in...
The TV can show a white-yellow bar which length depends on signal strength, there is also a word displayed (Bad, Normal and Good). However, this display lasts only a few seconds. It can be recalled by pressing "menu" and left arrow. See following pictures
IMG_0864.jpgIMG_0866.jpgIMG_0868.JPGIMG_0873.JPGIMG_0877.JPGIMG_0878.JPGIMG_0879.jpg

satellite receiver and tv ON and in the signal menu. Take laptop and point webcam at TV. Skype call to my android phone on the same WIFI network. Mobile signal meter! No wires or batteries or purchases.
Not feasible in some cases, like :
I am visiting a friend, who asked to move his Ku dish from 101 W to 97 W and to scan this new sat. So, there is no TV with screen and menu, no laptop, no Android phone (just an old Nokia C3)...:).
I hang my "poor man's first strike" on the dish's J-pipe, using a piece of # 14 or #12 AWG solid wire bent on hooks, move the dish and max the signal, reattach the original RG6.
Takes about 3-5 minutes.
Next, we go to receiver and scan. That's all... Cheers, polgyver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts