MiniBUD for HITS??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
As someone that once worked at Skyvision dispensing advice on this system, I can tell you from experience that anything smaller than a six foot C-band dish would be a mistake. While it may sound like a great idea to take a 3 or a 4-foot offset dish and fool around with an LNBF with an adjustable scalar---and you may get reception on some channels.....there are nearly 80 video services spread out over a bunch of different transponders. Until you go to a size resembling six feet, there will be the danger of not every frequency being received. Strong signals from nearby 103 and 107 West can swamp intended digital signals on 105, and if you do not have a large enough dish to separate satellites (ever heard the term 2 degree spacing, and wondered what it meant?), the results can be disappointing.
My experience on any given C-band satellite using a 3-foot offset/C-band LNBF and conical scalar adapter is that it is highly frequency selective, with or without interference from either adjacent satellite. Not a cost effective system if you are paying for programming and unable to tune all channels because of an undersized dish.

Thanks for the info!
A friend of mine is interested in HITS but is not allowed to have a BUD and I thought the mini might of worked for him. Too bad for his sake the X4 days are over! When they were on X4 I was running a BSC621 C/Ku lnbf on a 10 footer and they came in great! I never did compare the quality/reception on a smaller dish back then when you could of used one.

What's his limitation on the size of the dish? The BUD maybe out but what about other sizes.

I used one of my 6' Prodelin offset dishes fixed on 105W for several years for 4DTV and later converted for HITS last year. It worked flawlessly. I used a conical scalar but it worked almost as well without one.

I tried it with a 4 footer and while the audio only channels worked none of the video channels had enough signal to work (at least here in MN)

I used my 5ft solid C Band on 4DTV with no problems on the ten ala-cart channels I used to subscribe to...
My DSR-410 is on my 5-ft solid and HITS on W5 works real good, signal in the 55-60 range. BabyCG14 009.JPG This dish.

For sometime I was using a 5 foot mesh dish to get Hits and I had no problems with the smaller size and I switched to my 10 footer only because I replaced it with a Prodelin for FTA KU.

a 5 footer seems to work. I know when I had a 5 foot dish I could lock the 105W stuff...lower signal but doable
the 6 footer worked better....so I'm sure a 10 footer would be really good ;)

I will qualify my six foot recommendation by saying that a well-made 5 foot solid such as a Paraclipse Hydro should work just fine. But you might find a 5-foot mesh antenna of unknown origins that is not able to pull off the same.
Not all antennas may be in good shape mechanically, and I would suggest going for a six foot model if you have the opportunity, to increase the chances of success.

If you go for a 5 or 6 foot dish to get C-band will that dish pick up Ku-band too or is it too big? On another thread I read that if its mesh that the mesh must have holes less than 1/4 inch, so assuming this what other problems are there with Ku if the dish is big?

My 6ft sadoun dish works great for ku with the dmx741 lnbf. Its solid not mesh. At my work we have 8 footers and a 12ft dish which i believe is a channel master all solid and they are unbelievable for both C and Ku. I have no experience with mesh but yes if the holes are too big it wont work well as the signal passes through the holes.

I've used a 6 footer with a prime focus KU LNB just fine. Works real good on weaker signals. Strong signals it doesnt show much of a difference ;)

Fact is, I have my eye on a cute little six-foot mesh dish in my neighbourhood. Suppose the holes in the mesh are essentially square. They could not measure more than 1/4 inch from corner to corner for proper Ku performance?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)