rf modulator

Status
Please reply by conversation.

longwire42

Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
east
i am using a rf modulator to use my openbox s10 on an older tv set. could this cause the dvb s2 channels to freeze?

Simple answer: No. It's not before any S2 detection, it's after. I've been using an RF modulator for years. Think your problem is signal level, What are the TP's Quality? Should have a minimum of 70 (should be similar to my S9, they are pretty much the same box)
BUT: it could be the firmware: I also had KCWY, PBJ and whole lot more channels freezing on my S9. Sometimes hitting Menu twice would get it going again. Sometimes not. That was until I loaded the modified S10 FW from this thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...7-openbox-s9-firmware-working-clock-read.html NOTE: IT DOESN'T WORK FOR EVERYONE. S9 or S10 inclusive. For me, Freezing, Audio sync, Timer recordings(the clock stays set when in standby mode) are fixed. Just sux that it took more than a year since I purchased the S9, and the "fix" didn't come from the manufacturer.

Last edited:
i should have explained that i'm trying somehow to fix the freezing on the rtv channels that are on am,c3@87w sat. will the firmware you suggested work on n america sats?

N.A.. I'm smack dab in the middle. Maybe, maybe not, as noted in my first post. Do you notice freezing on other channels? 99W network channel also froze terribly for me, and a lot of others also, along with audio sync problems on CBC on 107.3W. I guess, all you can do is try it. If your box is programmed with satellites,(controlling a mover) don't forget to save your satellite list (TP_Prog) first.

HI Guys,
I also have the OPenbox S9 with the original software.
What is freezing????
I have been running the unit with the FTA setting = no and seem to get more channels that
way. When I ran with FTA set to yes, I would get scrambled stations where to my
understanding they should not be. Only on some birds.
I am afraid to try this new software you are talking about.
Skydoug at ftasatellite advises against it and says that would void the warrenty.

Freezing video - The picture on the screen will be jerky, or become "frozen". If the firmware works for you, glitches in it operation are not detrimental to your needs or wants, there's no need to update firmware. There are some channels that are not scrambled, but have the 'flag' set to report scrambled on the receivers. Scanning 'ALL' instead of just "FTA" and checking them is the only way to find them. 105°W comes to mind.

i have 85% signal and 85% quality on to 3800 on amc@87w. the dvb s channels work very good without freezing, only when i go to a dvb s2 channel does the freezung start. is it possible to install european firmware and still still scan n america sats?

Yes. The firmware referenced*, and being run here is European, as was my original FW. I just renamed all the satellites and put in the correct geo orbit locations. *this is S10 firmware that will also operate in an S9.
If you already have satellites/channels scanned in. You can export your channel list - Dump by USB>Misc files>TP_Prog - to a usb stick. Load the new firmware, then load your TP_Prog, and all your channels are back. This should work with just about all updates, I have heard there are a few versions that didn't work, but seems rare.
This will also be required, changing the video from PAL to NTSC. Copy and print out.
If FW is PAL Default (no picture)

S9 FW Menu items vertical on left
Step (1):
MENU,
DOWN(Twice),
ENTER,
DOWN(Once),
ENTER,
LEFT(or Right)* until picture appears
.(*Do not hold. Press and release, wait a few seconds, Repeat)

S10 FW (Menu items horizontal across top)
Menu - right 2 times - OK - down - right, wait, repeat until video appears.

Fat Air, can't thank you enough for suggesting DEEP. C2DS2.CMT. 1112130641 FIRMWARE. it works great, not any freezing on rtv channels on amc 3.

AFAIK no. It's, from what I've read/found on the net, S10 FW modified by a polish programmer to fix a lot of glitches in operation. and also operate in the S9 receiver. Stuttering video, audio sync, and a clock that keeps time if the receiver is put in standby.
First - back up your current FW, then load this version. Then check chip Id#(press 8888 in information screen) if chip id# is one of the following(as of 10feb2012)
00D0 00EA 085B 0D0C 98A1 98F2 9CF4 9D1A 1015
0D7E 38EC 1466 10AA 113C 14D5 1474 1466
you should be good, any other numbers are/may be clone.
If your id# is not listed[clone], reload your original FW.
The kill is said to not happen until the 10th power off-on cycle.
(All info above is what I've found on the web so take it for what it's worth)
I have yet to read of a "confirmed kill" so this feature may only be a 'guise(my opinion, no first hand knowledge either)

Fat Air, can't thank you enough for suggesting DEEP. C2DS2.CMT. 1112130641 FIRMWARE. it works great, not any freezing on rtv channels on amc 3.
Great to read it worked for you. Just as Fat Air stated, it may not work for everyone. In my case the audio sync can really get bad, but the colors of that version are really nice on my S9.

fat air, finally i found an rar extractor that was free from zdnet downloads and i now can extract the abs files. yesterday i downloaded the latest s9 software from china for my solomend. well, after about ten minutes of france24 it froze. and kept freezing. so went back to 11-03-21, my old reliable. today i saw your link to deep.c2ds2.cmt.1112130641 and loaded it a bit ago. then loaded my channels and sats and everything is cool so far. different display to get used to and i want to try recording yet. watching france24 and it hasn't locked up yet.... charlie

so far, no lockups or freezing. left it on all last night and still ok. checked my id. 9cf4 is one of the listed good id's. thanks for the info. still haven't recorded yet though. now how do i do a record and playback on the pc? is it ps or ts? charlie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)