MiniBUD on motorized 1.2 m Geosat

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rapidawn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
CA
Drove up to Roseville from central CA and picked this dish up over a year ago to upgrade from my 31" Fortec Star just so I can get a lock on NBC (AMC1) and PBS...and only yesterday was I toying with getting some c-band signals.
A few photos and screenshots when connected to my Viewsat receiver:
satellite1.jpgsatellite2.jpgsatellite2b.jpg
satellite3.jpgsatellite4.jpgsatellite5.jpgsatellite6.jpg

Even with that small blip on I9, I can watch NHK World just fine without breakups.

When connected to my Openbox S9 receiver, I get a good lock on a DVB-S2 signal on Galaxy17 (Reelz!)

When the DMX741U was placed at the center, I was able to lock in a few more signals including the standard def PR/Virgin Island channels on G16, which would only pop up at nighttime with the lnb not positioned at the center. However, my Ku signal/quality dropped somewhat when I had my Invacom lnb (or even a lightweight Ku lnb) switch places with the DMX741.

I have an old 8' BUD laying around in the backyard but unless I obtain a ground mount similar to the one shown near the end of this video, that BUD won't be going up anytime soon. So I'm pleasantly surprised to have added a few more channels to my current motorized Ku setup. :)

You may want to try one of these linear GT-Sat LNBs as a side one like GT-S40 instead of Invacom. They are more sensitive, and lighter, high quality products. Can mount it closer to C-lnb too by boring a side hole in your scalar. There is a straight feed version of this LNB too. The scalar ring just cuts out noise from dish edges, so the side hole you'll make will not degrade signal.

Last edited:
If boring a hole in the scalar for an offset KU LNBF, consider the GEOSATpro SL1 Bullet or SL2 Bullet. These will actually fit through a 40mm+ hole, you won't have to cut out a slot and will be able to be mounted much closer to the C-band feed horn!

The Bullet looks like a good lnb.

You can get a lot of c band on a 1.2 meter dish if you take time to play with it.
The DMX741 appears to be angled back on your dish and if that is the case, water or moisture will collect in it. The DMX741 or any other c band lnb needs to be tilted down in the front so water or moisture cannot collect in it. Sealing the lnb will not help because it will sweat or condensate on the inside.
You may find some satellites or transponders to be stronger without using a scalar ring or any kind of feed for c band. A 1.2 meter dish is a bit small for c band and some combinations work better than others for different satellites.
The 1.2 meter dish pictured below was used to get the ku satellites and it also did a good job of picking up the networks on c band, 99West. Notice the c band lnb does not have any scalar ring or feed.
LNBS such as the DMX741 do not work well on an offset dish for most people. The ku lnb in the 741 has a flat scalar ring that is designed for a prime focus dish, plus you will have an extremely hard time getting both c and ku signals on more than one or two satellites.
Enjoy what you have and make the most of it!!! GregH

DSCF1252.jpg

DSCF1247.jpg

I'm not a proponent of mini-buds, but if you must, here are some ideas that'll make 'em better:
- mount the C-LNBF at the focus
- mount it by it's body and tune it without a scalar.
- add the scalar: flat, conical, or one of special designs you'll see promoted (I gave up and can't recommend)
- tune the scalar for best signal quality, not moving the LNBF
- if you must put a Ku LNBF on board, now would be the time to figure out how/where to mount it.
- use a C-only LNBF, not a C+Ku model.
- note the links above... read 'em! - :eek:

rapidawn

I just noted, you hooked both Linear and Circular ports of the Invacom, so it might be hard for you to find a replacement for it in such config. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)