Missing Channels, What to do???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mrdeal

Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Hi guys,

I have a problem that no one at Directv seems to understand, so consequently they want to charge me to send someone out to tell me what I think I already know.

System,
My system is first generation at best, dual LNB, one passive 4 room multiswitch, three boxes, one newer, and two old RCA's that came with the system, (10 years ago). I have the two older boxes on the same LNB/multiswitch. The other box is on the other LNB by itself no switch. The switch only has one LNB cable to it the other one is on the other end of the house.

Problem,
When the two boxes attached to the one LNB through the switch I get half of the Channel's I should on both boxes, in both rooms and Vice Versa (have tried each box in different rooms). Now when I unplug one box from the switch, I get all channels, and vice versa, hook it back up and bang, half of the channels, have tried different transponders, cable, everything I can think of and nothing changes. I think it is the boxes, but Directv thinks differently. When I put the new box in the mix I get no channels on either box, but put the two older ones together, I get half the channels. I think I need new boxes. What else could I be missing.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Matt Myers

FIRST OFF - WELCOME!

I kind of wonder if its the switch. Have you tried connecting each box ALONE, directly to the LNB to test each box separately and to eliminate the switch as faulty?

yes, and the boxes work fine individually. I also have put a new multiswitch, and did not make a difference. Maybe the voltage is off, because it only has one LNB pluged into it. I give up???

Extra info, when I say missing channels, I mean a blank screen and searching for signal that comes and goes. The channels are in the menu, but will not "load" on the screen.

Cable may be going bad or the lnbf is failing, it could also be a splice thats built up resistance as well.

Hi guys,

I have a problem that no one at Directv seems to understand, so consequently they want to charge me to send someone out to tell me what I think I already know.

System,
My system is first generation at best, dual LNB, one passive 4 room multiswitch, three boxes, one newer, and two old RCA's that came with the system, (10 years ago). I have the two older boxes on the same LNB/multiswitch. The other box is on the other LNB by itself no switch. The switch only has one LNB cable to it the other one is on the other end of the house.

Problem,
When the two boxes attached to the one LNB through the switch I get half of the Channel's I should on both boxes, in both rooms and Vice Versa (have tried each box in different rooms). Now when I unplug one box from the switch, I get all channels, and vice versa, hook it back up and bang, half of the channels, have tried different transponders, cable, everything I can think of and nothing changes. I think it is the boxes, but Directv thinks differently. When I put the new box in the mix I get no channels on either box, but put the two older ones together, I get half the channels. I think I need new boxes. What else could I be missing.

Matt Myers

What model of multiswitch is it? It sounds more like a splitter than a true multiswitch.

Hi guys,

System,

Problem,

Matt Myers

if it is a splitter, that won't work for DirecTV. If it is a multiswitch (not a splitter) it should have two cables connected from the dish, otherwise it won't work.
Each tuner has to send a signal back to the dish asking for a particular satellite and set of transponders. For an odd transponder, it sets up a 13v signal. For an even transponder, an 18v signal. If you only have one cable from two tuners, you will get odd transponders if both tuners want an odd numbered one, and even transponders if EITHER of the tuners want an even one. The two tuners signals back to the dish interfere with each other. Which is exactly what you are seeing.

So your problem is entirely a cabling/multiswitch issue, nothing to do with the receivers.
I'm going to assume you have four receivers, no DVRs, so four tuners in total. You need to take both cables from the dish to a 2x4 multiswitch (2x8, 3x4, 3x8, any of those will work). Then connect all four tuners to the multiswitch through separate cables.

Although you may not have HD today, to go to HD you will need a new 5-lnb dish that will connect up to four tuners via separate cables. To go to more than four tuners, you will need to connect the dish to a WB68 multiswitch vis four cables and then you can connect up to eight tuners.
If you need to get a multiswitch (i.e. if you have been trying to use a splitter) then it's probably worth getting a WB68 now, to "future proof" the system. You can still connect the WB68 to the old dish using two cables and it will behave like a 2x8 switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)