Missing game in MLB EI schedule tonight

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

laman400

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
I just got up this morning and went to check the MLB Extra Inning schedule for tonights games (Thursday, 4/8). I cannot find tonights Angel/Twins game listed anywhere on DirecTV. It is not listed in the 720-749 regular MLB Extra Inning locations, nor can I find it in the RNA areas either, even though I have the Sports Pack also. It was my understanding that ALL games are carried in the MLB EI package. IT is listed as part of the MLBTV package, but that doesn't help me since I only have the EI and Sports packages on DirecTV. Can anyone find it listed tonight anywhere on DirecTV? Thanks for any help.

The game will not be on DirecTV tonight because each team is providing an over the air (OTA) feed, the Twins with WFTC, and the Angels with KCOP. With the exception of a few OTA signals, DirecTV does not carry feeds of games from OTA signals. This has been the case since I first started getting the EI package in 2000. That first year, MSG had the satellite rights to about 100 Yankee games, but the remaining were on Fox 5 out of New York. None of the Fox 5 games were shown in the package. Now WWOR, channel 9 in Secaucus, NJ has the rights to 20 OTA games and the YES Network has the remaining games not nationally shown. For some reason, DirecTV has the rights to broadcast the WWOR feed so virtually all the Yankees games are shown. This is true for a few other OTA broadcasts, such as WPIX, channel 11 in New York for the Mets, and WPHL, channel 17 in Philadelphia for the Phillies. However, to the best of my knowledge, no other OTA feeds are allowed into the DirecTV EI package. There have been some simulcasts of OTA feeds on some of the Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) over the past few years, such as KTXH channel 20 in Houston being simulcast on Fox Sports Southwest, but these do not qualify as true OTA broadcasts. It must be a matter of written consent, because cable's InDemand EI package is similar, but MLB.TV from Major League Baseball is not. Whereas InDemand is not showing tonight's Twins-Angels game for similar reasons to DirecTV, MLB.TV is showing both OTA feeds. This is not fair and equitable, and I've voiced my displeasure in the past, but apparently nothing is going to be done about it so expect to see more games deleted from the EI schedule on DirecTV in the future.

The game will not be on DirecTV tonight because each team is providing an over the air (OTA) feed, the Twins with WFTC, and the Angels with KCOP. With the exception of a few OTA signals, DirecTV does not carry feeds of games from OTA signals.

you're partially right.
Here in Minnesota (normally) FSN North simulcasts the WFTC games. If you live in the Minneapolis DMA you get WFTC OTA or on cable/sat. If you live outside that DMA it is normally simulcasted on FSN North. Monday's game was on 657. My "location" is Mankato, MN which is its own DMA so I saw the game on 657.

The issue is the MN Wild game is on FSN North tonight so they can't use the simulcast option. Normally WFTC only does Sunday games. So tonight is one of those rare nights where folks in outstate MN/the Dakotas and MLB EI folks cant get the Twins game on TV

What sucks even more for us here in the LA market, is that after a few years the Angels still don't broadcast games in HD on KCOP.

you're partially right.
Here in Minnesota (normally) FSN North simulcasts the WFTC games. If you live in the Minneapolis DMA you get WFTC OTA or on cable/sat. If you live outside that DMA it is normally simulcasted on FSN North. Monday's game was on 657. My "location" is Mankato, MN which is its own DMA so I saw the game on 657.

The issue is the MN Wild game is on FSN North tonight so they can't use the simulcast option. Normally WFTC only does Sunday games. So tonight is one of those rare nights where folks in outstate MN/the Dakotas and MLB EI folks cant get the Twins game on TV
I didn't know that Iceberg, I stand corrected. I do recall in the past that the WFTC games were simulcast on Fox Sports North, but I just thought that the agreement had since expired. Thanks for the heads up.

The game will not be on DirecTV tonight because each team is providing an over the air (OTA) feed, the Twins with WFTC, and the Angels with KCOP. With the exception of a few OTA signals, DirecTV does not carry feeds of games from OTA signals. This has been the case since I first started getting the EI package in 2000. That first year, MSG had the satellite rights to about 100 Yankee games, but the remaining were on Fox 5 out of New York. None of the Fox 5 games were shown in the package. Now WWOR, channel 9 in Secaucus, NJ has the rights to 20 OTA games and the YES Network has the remaining games not nationally shown. For some reason, DirecTV has the rights to broadcast the WWOR feed so virtually all the Yankees games are shown. This is true for a few other OTA broadcasts, such as WPIX, channel 11 in New York for the Mets, and WPHL, channel 17 in Philadelphia for the Phillies. However, to the best of my knowledge, no other OTA feeds are allowed into the DirecTV EI package. There have been some simulcasts of OTA feeds on some of the Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) over the past few years, such as KTXH channel 20 in Houston being simulcast on Fox Sports Southwest, but these do not qualify as true OTA broadcasts. It must be a matter of written consent, because cable's InDemand EI package is similar, but MLB.TV from Major League Baseball is not. Whereas InDemand is not showing tonight's Twins-Angels game for similar reasons to DirecTV, MLB.TV is showing both OTA feeds. This is not fair and equitable, and I've voiced my displeasure in the past, but apparently nothing is going to be done about it so expect to see more games deleted from the EI schedule on DirecTV in the future.

I sure hope you're wrong about that (bold)!

Why doesn't DTV carry more OTA games? Cost?

I didn't know that Iceberg, I stand corrected.
no problem :)

I do recall in the past that the WFTC games were simulcast on Fox Sports North, but I just thought that the agreement had since expired. Thanks for the heads up.

I think as long as the Twins are on WFTC 29 and both are still owned by the same folks the agreement will stay. Normally WFTC only carried the home & season opener and Sunday games (unless its on ESPN then they get another game) for 26 games total. This is weird as they have 3 games in 6 days on WFTC. Looking at the schedule they dont get May 30 (ESPN2 game) or August 22nd.

Sundays game is OK and should be in the guide somewhere in the RSN alt. Its on 29 in Minneapolis and FSN outstate. There actually is 2 feeds of FSN
1. Metro Minneapolis (on 668)
2. Outstate

The only difference really is the Twins games

White Sox feed on CSN+ Chicago is blacked out here for tonight White Sox-Indians game. Also not listed in the EI package. Only thing I can figure is a bandwidth issue. Watching it on STO. Also, because I live in Braves territory I can only see the SD feed on Peachtree on 651.

Mostly likely because of legalities that prevent them.

It's not legal reasons. It is costs.

They need to have an agreement with the OTA station to use it and a feed from that station that they can get on a national beam. Remember locals are spotbeamed, so they may not easily have the capability to get a feed to the national broadcast easily.

It is certainely possible, however, to air it. Cable has it tonight via In Demand (just SD), and Bell Canada has it as well (just SD).

Not sure if it is cost or just technicial limitations that they haven't put the money/effort to fixing, or agreement related, but they could have all OTA games if they really wanted to.

White Sox feed on CSN+ Chicago is blacked out here for tonight White Sox-Indians game. Also not listed in the EI package. Only thing I can figure is a bandwidth issue. Watching it on STO. Also, because I live in Braves territory I can only see the SD feed on Peachtree on 651.

Not sure what is up with the blackout on 666 tonight.

CSN Plus is usually available for EI. Even the guide and scoreguide indicate the game is only available on the STO feed, so it isn't an error. Hopefully it is not something that continues this season. In the past they have used the CSN Plus feeds with no problems.

Not sure what is up with the blackout on 666 tonight.

CSN Plus is usually available for EI. Even the guide and scoreguide indicate the game is only available on the STO feed, so it isn't an error. Hopefully it is not something that continues this season. In the past they have used the CSN Plus feeds with no problems.

I'd bet it has to do with the Masters coverage and taking up 4 extra channels, so they cut some of the duplicate feeds.

I'd bet it has to do with the Masters coverage and taking up 4 extra channels, so they cut some of the duplicate feeds.

Could be, good point. Also still have NHL & NBA going on. Bandwith is very tight in April, every year.

I think they already have the game nationally on 666-1 though, so it wouldn't be any extra bandwith, unless they were selectively running 666-1 on a spotbeam tonight, but that is very doubtful.

What sucks even more for us here in the LA market, is that after a few years the Angels still don't broadcast games in HD on KCOP.
It actually is in HD, even though it is not listed as HD in the guide. This is the first year they have shown the Angels in HD on KCOP

I was just going to post where the Twins game is! I got SLowely on my team and wanted to see it! WTF!!! Cmon, I paid $200 to see every game. I understand if its on my local channel, but to say "Check my local stations" and its not there is not fair.

So DirecTV really should warn potential customers that they DO NOT broadcast every game..even if its not in your area. Trash..

I was just going to post where the Twins game is! I got SLowely on my team and wanted to see it! WTF!!! Cmon, I paid $200 to see every game. I understand if its on my local channel, but to say "Check my local stations" and its not there is not fair.

So DirecTV really should warn potential customers that they DO NOT broadcast every game..even if its not in your area. Trash..

There are games that are not going to be on there. This was one of them quirks where The Twins are not simulcasting the OTA game on FSN North (due to the MN Wild game) and the opponent is OTA too

No where does it say "every game" It says up to 80 games a week
DIRECTV: MLB EXTRA INNINGS : The Most Baseball on TV

I hope they are not many more of these 'rare quirks'.. Being its only the first week of the season and this happened,. Im not getting my hopes up.

But..needless to say..Its a dream come true to finally have access to almost all the games..I could not live without it! I guess Ill have to go to bed early./.

even though the Twins (and my pitcher Slowley) are winning.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts