missing HD channels on 103 sat?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

howardgis

Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
north america
I just hooked up a new slimline dish with the latest HD pvr receiver from directv i am getting very strong signals from 101 sat in high 90,s but i get nothing from the 103 sat which carries the HD signal, i have a straight connection from the dish to the receiver any ideas what can be causing this issue, i assume the dish is tweaked properly or i would be in the hi 90's, i have both B-bands in the lines and tried swapping them from tuner 1 to tuner 2 and reset the receiver 2x's already ...could it be the new rg6 cable i used? any ideas?? thanks for all help in advance

I just hooked up a new slimline dish with the latest HD pvr receiver from directv i am getting very strong signals from 101 sat in high 90,s but i get nothing from the 103 sat which carries the HD signal, i have a straight connection from the dish to the receiver any ideas what can be causing this issue, i assume the dish is tweaked properly or i would be in the hi 90's, i have both B-bands in the lines and tried swapping them from tuner 1 to tuner 2 and reset the receiver 2x's already ...could it be the new rg6 cable i used? any ideas?? thanks for all help in advance

Are you pointing the dish at the 101 sat? What are your signal levels on all of the sats?

i did a sweep across the sky hoaning in on the sats and i believe i am pointing at the 101 with all transponders giving me a high signal between 87 to 98 all other sats are pretty good but for the 103 all i get are 0's across the board...i dont understand how that is happening, directv doesnt think its a pointing issue because my signals are stong on everything else

i also should mention that i hooked up an older h10 receiver to the slimline dish just to see what would happen, of course i cant get hd as the h10 in not compatible for that but all sd channels come in fine

The elevation and skew setting should be checked, also The skew is difficult to get right without a proper meter. Why not have Directv set it up for you?

what is tos? i am doing nothing illegal...i pay for my directv subscription

TOS is terms of service. I didn't say you were doing anything illegal, just against the tos. Why can't Directv do the alignment for you if you aren't doing anything wrong?

Actually, I'd rather see that someone faced with either violating TOS or turning to the eye patch crowd actually be encouraged by the folks on this board to continue to PAY for the service regardless of the arbitrary lines drawn in the sand. There is no stealing in that.

H - To line the dish forget about 103 for now. First, make 100% sure the top of the J pole is level along all axis (put a torpedo level on the top). Then preset the AZ/EL to what you think it roughly should be. Focus on the 101 sat - really nail your signal strength both AZ & EL. Lock the settings down. Switch to the 119 sat and adjust JUST the tilt until you peak 119. Lock everything down.

This will bring all the sats in range - unless you happen to be outside of the DMA for your subscribed locals.

PM me if you have problems.

Mike

PS: Really guys, we need to support folks who try to do the right thing - but I agree that all the pirates should walk the plank. JMHO.

The dish beamwidth for Ka signals (101, 110 and 119) are much broader than for Ku (99, 103) so one can get pretty good signal levels on 101 and see nothing on 99 or 103. There is a dithering method to make sure it is centered on 101 (see the Slimline installation manual). That should get you close enough, but peaking on 103(c) or 99(c) can probably increase the signal a bit.

Actually, I'd rather see that someone faced with either violating TOS or turning to the eye patch crowd actually be encouraged by the folks on this board to continue to PAY for the service regardless of the arbitrary lines drawn in the sand. There is no stealing in that.

H - To line the dish forget about 103 for now. First, make 100% sure the top of the J pole is level along all axis (put a torpedo level on the top). Then preset the AZ/EL to what you think it roughly should be. Focus on the 101 sat - really nail your signal strength both AZ & EL. Lock the settings down. Switch to the 119 sat and adjust JUST the tilt until you peak 119. Lock everything down.

This will bring all the sats in range - unless you happen to be outside of the DMA for your subscribed locals.

PM me if you have problems.

Mike

PS: Really guys, we need to support folks who try to do the right thing - but I agree that all the pirates should walk the plank. JMHO.

I agree with you Mike. I might be wrong, and I will apologize if I am, but in this case, why wouldn't he have Directv align the dish? If it smells like a pig......

I agree with you Mike. I might be wrong, and I will apologize if I am, but in this case, why wouldn't he have Directv align the dish? If it smells like a pig......

i agree but i would never ask directv to do anything for me. after my install over a year ago,the very next day i had to get on the roof and realign the dish myself. my reason for not calling D for these things is that i do them better:). in fact the installer barely did anything. i was on the roof with him doing most of the work except aligning the dish which i still had to redo the very next day. he also wasn't up to the task for running a second coax at the time for the 2nd tuner so he left me a roll of coax which really came in handy. i put the boxes in myself while he called to activate them.i really didn't have a problem doing this myself since i would be more careful and do a better job. which is also another reason why I don't pay for the protection plan. i never ran the second coax either since i purchased a swm lnb the following week.:)

Good point, rey...but there is a difference between not wanting to call D* and not being able to call D*.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! :p Seriously, that is the crux of the matter. Why can't Directv fix it for him?

That is strange howardgis. Why did you delete your post where you said you are in Canada?

no guys i deleted it by accident...i dont care about me living in canada...bottom line is that i love directv, canadian programming is garbage and i also think you folks here on this forum arent the friendliest either

i dont care about me living in canada...bottom line is that i love directv, canadian programming is garbage and i also think you folks here on this forum arent the friendliest either

Hey Howie,

You're asking the guys here to help you break the TOS. Perhaps you should go to a Canadian tech support forum for "jailbreaking" help.

Eh?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)