Missing satellite signals 99 & 103 and Ironwood

Status
Please reply by conversation.

free-1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
Well, I got the install on Saturday of the 5LNB & H20. What a joke Ironwood is......, the technician went through the entire setup of dish & receiver, but when it came time to search for the satellites, the message read:

"You have selected 5 LNB for your dish and only 4 satellites were detected"
Sat 101 OK
Sat 119 OK
Sat 110 OK
Sat 99 (standard10) Failed!

If you notice satellite 103 is not even listed?????

So I ask the installer about this "failed" satellite and his answer was:

"Oh, that's for future use from D*, they haven't even activated that source".

Huh!!! Okay the phone rings and I have to take a call, 5 minutes later, I come back and 'viola' the channel list is up and ALL local channels are there for HD. Great I thought and we're all set. Off goes the installer and I'm ready to play with my new toy. Wait a minute, upon further review, I notice my off-air antenna sitting in it's usual place (I un-hooked it before the installation began, feeling I won't need this anymore) well low and behold it's re-hooked up again!! After looking at the setup, while I was on the phone, the tech rewired the off-air antenna went to the menu downloaded sat & ant info and made it look like the whole installation was complete and correct.

Immediately, I call D* HD Tech line and walk through all the above info - WRONG! This tech had done nothing correct. So I have D* contact "Ironhead" to locate the tech and have him come back. 5 hours later "Ironhead" calls back and ask me to read the I.D number off of the sheet the tech left behind. I read him the number he tells me to hold on........................, they have no one with that I.D. number working for them>?>?>?>?>?>?>?>? (or they can't find the number in their system. Conference call time - I'm on the phone with D* and "Ironhead" for almost 2hrs ( I refused to let anyone off the line until I was assured another tech would come to correct the problem). Guess what....., they sent another tech out on Sunday morning. And the result????????? He has no clue what is wrong!! He checked the signal with his little meter and confirmed all sats are were they belong, but still no 99 or 103 satellite signal. By now I'm about to stroke out and felt I'd better calm down and get control. Needless to say I still have my off-air antenna hooked up and I am getting all channels that way. Well another tech is scheduled for Dec 10 - boy is he in for a looooooooonnnnnnnnnnngggggg day.

Any suggestions on how to correct this screw-up???:mad: :confused: :eek:

Did the first installer use a Multi-switch!? If so, have the next Tech. check to make sure he's using the right one for the MPEG4 signals, then have him make sure all sats are feed into the proper coax. for each sat. It sounds like the dish is setup properly but the feed is not making it to your receivers. Remember, all 4 coax need to be feed in the Multi-switch if used. Also, check the back of you H20 receiver and make sure the "B Band Converter" is hooked up! This piece look like the old coax connector from the Old NES Nintendo!

Attachments

• DTV-H20_det_zoomB.gif
    DTV-H20_det_zoomB.gif
    49.4 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Smthkd said:
Did the first installer use a Multi-switch!? If so, have the next Tech. check to make sure he's using the right one for the MPEG4 signals, then have him make sure all sats are feed into the proper coax. for each sat. It sounds like the dish is setup properly but the feed is not making it to your receivers. Remember, all 4 coax need to be feed in the Multi-switch if used. Also, check the back of you H20 receiver and make sure the "B Band Converter" is hooked up! This piece look like the old coax connector from the Old NES Nintendo!

Yes, he did install a multi-switch. I believe it is the correct one (after seeing a video of the 5 LNB setup on another site). I'll check the coax feed into the switch (I'm thinking there is only 3 not 4 going in - I'm at work right now, but will check when I get home). The B Band converter is hooked up. Thanks for the reply, as I stated above these guys had no clue..:cool:

Any chance the B Band converter being the cause of the problem?? I remember seing another post where this was the case

Last edited:
Yes, the B Band Converter could be bad but it sounds more like a problem with the multi-switch! Check that first. This dish also have a multi-switch built in, and if your not going to have more than 1 H20 and 3 basic receiver hooked up excluding Tivo's, or any variety of receivers not using more than 4 lines, then the Multi-switch is not needed. For instance, I have 2 H20 hooked up and 1 HDTivo and I didn't need the multi-switch, my receivers are working just fine. So check that out first or as another option for the installer if you don't need it!

Last edited:
Sat 99 should fail. Spaceway 2 isn't even in geostationary orbit--yet alone in its slot and turned over from Boeing to DirecTV.

GeorgeLV said:
Sat 99 should fail. Spaceway 2 isn't even in geostationary orbit--yet alone in its slot and turned over from Boeing to DirecTV.

Okay, what about sat 103?? It's not even showing as a satellite source........:confused:

Missing 103 Sat

Setup on the H-20 is peculiar.
Also the list is a scroll down and lower elements can easily be missed.
I did a self install and got error messages on all 4 Ka band "networks" initally.
After the receiver was activated and after D* ACTIVATED local HD feeds the test then showed one of the 103 sat feeds ok.
The error message in Guided setup stills comes up and requires the "i'll fix later" prompt to continue. You should see 3 channels of the 4 networks if OTA is connected and scanned for in setup. Otherwise the 2 network channels you see are 1st SD then 2nd HD and has the network logo with HD channel #as I recall.
J

Free-1, I also have had the same problem that you have been having. :mad: I got the 5-LNB upgrade with the H-20 in early November. I've had 5 techs (Michigan Microtech) come out to figure out what the heck is going on. During my guide setup, I get the 4 satellites (99 of course is failed and the other 3 says OK) but I do not get the 103 and none of the techs know what is wrong. The first tech told me that I have a bad receiver. I then proceed to call D* and they send me another receiver. I go ahead and swithch out receivers and get the same problem. :mad: I then have another tech come out and he said that my problem is that some trees may be in the way (the HD locals are picilating and the sound is breaking up) which I think is total crap (because when I check my signal strengh on the H-20 receiver, I DO get a signal from the 103 sat)! The signal reading is the same signal strengh that some others have posted on this site via their pics. I've taken way to many days off and wasted my lunch hours with these fools trying to get the HD locals working! I've gotten so pissed off, that right now, I'm using the OTA but what's the use of me having the 5-LNB dish with the H-20 if it's not being used correctly? Right now I have 2 H-20 receivers (one is just sitting and due to be shipped back to D*) but I'm tempted to just keep it for all the trouble I've been having and it's still not working properly!!!!!!!! :mad: :confused:

Free-1, let us know how it goes on Saturday to figure out what the problem is. Hopefully, it might help me out. :D

Rubinl said:
Free-1, I also have had the same problem that you have been having. :mad: I got the 5-LNB upgrade with the H-20 in early November. I've had 5 techs (Michigan Microtech) come out to figure out what the heck is going on. During my guide setup, I get the 4 satellites (99 of course is failed and the other 3 says OK) but I do not get the 103 and none of the techs know what is wrong. The first tech told me that I have a bad receiver. I then proceed to call D* and they send me another receiver. I go ahead and swithch out receivers and get the same problem. :mad: I then have another tech come out and he said that my problem is that some trees may be in the way (the HD locals are picilating and the sound is breaking up) which I think is total crap (because when I check my signal strengh on the H-20 receiver, I DO get a signal from the 103 sat)! The signal reading is the same signal strengh that some others have posted on this site via their pics. I've taken way to many days off and wasted my lunch hours with these fools trying to get the HD locals working! I've gotten so pissed off, that right now, I'm using the OTA but what's the use of me having the 5-LNB dish with the H-20 if it's not being used correctly? Right now I have 2 H-20 receivers (one is just sitting and due to be shipped back to D*) but I'm tempted to just keep it for all the trouble I've been having and it's still not working properly!!!!!!!! :mad: :confused:
Free-1, let us know how it goes on Saturday to figure out what the problem is. Hopefully, it might help me out. :D

Oh yes, my friend I will take my laptop home this weekend and be giving everyone a play-by-play as it is happening. I know this may p$ss off the tech, but SO WHAT:mad: :mad: As the old saying used to go.......... (paraphrasing)

I WANT MY DIRECTV:idea: :idea: :idea:

newsposter said:
You must have had someone from philly ironwood there ;)

Unfortunately, you're right. I've noticed that Ironwood is hiring a lot of tech's in the Philly area..........., maybe they should screen their process better. Some of these guys are barely out of there teens:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ironwood Install

Was skd for 5LNB dish & H20 for today 12/9/05 between 8am & 12
Got call from IRONWOOD on Thursday PM that they will resched for
12/14/05..reason I was told they donot have any any 5LNB's in stock...

And I got..............., NOTHING!!!!!

Well, they did it again. Ironwood 'aka' Ironhead, stiffed me again this weekend. I'm starting to think someone from this company is monitoring this site for comments about their work. Okay, here goes: I got the call Friday evening confirming Ironwood/head would be out Sat morning btwn 8-12pm. Waiting Sat morning and............, nothing. No call about being late, no call whatsoever. I receive a call at 11:22am from a very lovely young lady saying she was from "Directv" and was doing a check up on my installation, (you see I was elevated to "special severe statis" after last weeks screwup - see original post in this thread). After telling her that Ironwood/head has yet to show up, she apologized over and over and said she will call tomorrow to get the info about the completion of this job. After hanging up with her I gave them an additional 1 hr. It's now 1:15pm, I call D* and after being sent from place to place I finally landed with a dept manager who again apologized about the service (after I reminded her that my checks are made out to D* not Ironwood/head she gauranteed me that this problem will be resolved because she will put in an emergency statis report concerning my situation. Okay, I said but will that help me today>? Sat>?. No unfortunately it won't - but she can (and did) deduct the $99 charge for the upgrade (I know, this was supposed to be free for existing HD subs) so as long as I don't have to pay anything that's great. It's now 2:45pm, I'm still on the line with the dept manager who it trying to contact Ironwood/head local dept. Oh, I can help you with that my dear, I say as I have the local office number. Great she says, I call them right now! Snickering on the other end, I hold from another 1-3 minutes (that's D* classic line when they can't do anything else). When she comes back on line and starts to say she coul......., I interrupt her in mid sentence and finish the statement for her. Wow, she say 'you must be a mind reader', no I say I've been on the phone with these clowns before. After some more back and forth apologies from her she insists someone from Ironwood/head would definately call me to fix this problem immediately. I'm still waiting for that call. A poster from this site was kind enough to get me a direct (not sure I should use that word) number for a manager with Ironwood/head and I plan to contact them shortly. And, oh by the way....., that call about the survey to check up on the problem I received at 11:22am from D*............, it was IRONWOOD/HEAD!!!!:mad: :mad:

THE STRUGGLE CONTINUES.............

I had a similar issue with my 3LNB dish, wasn't able to pick up the 110 sat in my situation I think. I had just installed a multiswitch. I messed around with the coax going into the multiswitch, I think they need to be in some sort of order based on which lines are coming off the LNBs. When I rearranged the coax hookups to my switch I was able to receive signals from all sats again. Not sure if this is the case with the new 6x8 multiswitch.

*edit* Oops, should have bothered to read a few posts down and notice that someone else already suggested this. Nevermind, heh *edit*

Last edited:
And to think that I get Ironwood work from out of the Philly office. Joy Joy....

Str8poolbanger <~~~~~~~~Proud to be a certified installer and takes pride in his work...lol.........

5 LNB Dish.....install what>???? hahaha.....u should see the number of tech that turn the jobs down cause they dont know how.....i even made the dvd training video for some of the other installers....lol oh well i must be off to sleep...the wind is whipping here in bethlehem, pa and i have 3 installs tomorrow.....wonder if they will get done in the weather....hehe :confused: :confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)