MLB 2008 Season

While this was a rumor for a while, it appears that the speculation has come true.

Per the Columbus Dispatch, the Cleveland Indians will officially have their Triple-A affiliate located within the state of Ohio in the form of the Columbus Clippers - formerly the affiliate of the Washington Nationals. The Indians former Triple-A affiliate was previously known as the Buffalo Bison, located in upstate NY. (Sorry Sabres. No more baseball for you!)

This is great news for fans of the Indians, as well as residents of Columbus, as this now places the Triple-A rung not all too far from the big boys, and within another major city in Ohio - a state in dire need of income. With the Double-A Aeros in Akron and the Single-A Captains in Eastlake, most Tribe fans will now be within spitting distance of some Cleveland baseball!

Indians, Clippers. Clippers, Indians. | WaitingForNextYear

HD, When did the Yankees leave Columbus ?
I thought they were still there.....

Are they building the new place down by Nationwide Arena ?

Jimbo

HD, When did the Yankees leave Columbus ?
I thought they were still there.....

Are they building the new place down by Nationwide Arena ?

Jimbo

I think the Yankees contract with Columbus ran out this year, which was the same year the Indians contract with Buffalo ran up. The timing was perfect and the decision was obvious.

The new stadium (Huntington Park), will be located in the Arena District and will replace the old Cooper Stadium. Huntington Park is located in the northwest corner of Nationwide Blvd. and Neil Ave. It's within walking distance of Nationwide Arena. Construction on the stadium is ahead of schedule and may be open for opening day in '09

BTW, this now opens the door for STO to broadcast Clipper games!

Here's a map of what the Arena District is to look like....

arena_district_map.jpg

No Boston Glee Party Just Yet!

Indians win their 7th in a row! This time, against the Red Sox in Fenway Park, which prevented them from clinching until another day....

IMO, experimental closer Jenson Lewis earned his stripes yesterday. In the bottom of the 9th, with the score at 4-3, Lewis had to go through the heart of the BoSox order (Pedroia, Ortiz, Youkilis, Bay and Lowrie) to earn his 12th save in 13 opportunities since the Indians moved him into the role.

It figueres the Indians are the hottest team in baseball right now and we finally get a win off Beckett when it doesn't matter towards post season ambitions....

Who'll finish with more losses: Seattle or Washington?

They have 99 and 98, respectively.

It was pointed out a few months earlier that Seattle could be the first team in history to have a $100 million payroll and lose 100 games in a year.

The Tigers may have just capped the most disappointing season I've ever experienced, by falling to last in our division. These guys should be ashamed.

Paul, I thought the same thing while watching the Tigers/Indians play over the weekend. That series should have meant so much to the AL Central. It didn't mean squat. Shameful.

Are there any series on Sunday that will be considered meaningful?

I have feeling we're going to see that Tigers-White Sox makeup game on Monday. The big question, of course, will be if the Sox are a half game in front of the Twins, or a half game behind the Twins.

Bill, now that Boston's in, how are you going to approach the end of the Red Sox season?

Are you harboring hopes to catch Tampa for the division title, or are you going to focus on a different Boston team (Patriots bye week, Celtics and Bruins training camp)

Bill, now that Boston's in, how are you going to approach the end of the Red Sox season?

Are you harboring hopes to catch Tampa for the division title, or are you going to focus on a different Boston team (Patriots bye week, Celtics and Bruins training camp)

I've pretty much given up hope in catching Tampa Bay, but one thing I'll be keeping an eye on the next five days is the Red Sox health.

Terry Francona announced today that J.D. Drew will be in the starting lineup tonight. Drew has been out since the middle of August with back problems. I'll be interested to see how J.D. does tonight.

Mike Lowell is trying to get back for this weekend's Yankees series (just so he'll have some AB's before the playoffs start).

IMO, having both Drew and Lowell back in the lineup and contributing, could go a long way in determining Boston's fate in the upcoming playoffs.

Finally, Paul Byrd is pitching tonight and this game could determine who the Sox fourth starter (if one is needed) in the playoffs. I personally would rather Byrd over Wakefield at this point so we'll see. A fellow Red Sox fan (on another message board) said it best about the Byrd /Wakefield comparision:

" With Wakefield you're more likely to get a complete game four hit shutout, BUT you're also more likely for Wakefield to last 2 innings while giving up 6/7 runs. OTOH, you're almost guaranteed to get 6 pretty solid innings/ giving up 3 runs from Byrd. With the Sox offense and the revitalized bullpen, I'll take my chances with that. "

I agree.........Go Byrd, make Tito's decision easier and pitch a gem tonight!

Last edited:
I've pretty much given up hope in catching Tampa Bay, but one thing I'll be keeping an eye on the next five days is the Red Sox health.

Terry Francona announced today that J.D. Drew will be in the starting lineup tonight. Drew has been out since the middle of August with back problems. I'll be interested to see how J.D. does tonight.

Mike Lowell is trying to get back for this weekend's Yankees series (just so he'll have some AB's before the playoffs start).

IMO, having both Drew and Lowell back in the lineup and contributing, could go a long way in determining Boston's fate in the upcoming playoffs.

Finally, Paul Byrd is pitching tonight and this game could determine who the Sox fourth starter (if one is needed) in the playoffs. I personally would rather Byrd over Wakefield at this point so we'll see. A fellow Red Sox fan (on another message board) said it best about the Byrd /Wakefield comparision:

" With Wakefield you're more likely to get a complete game four hit shutout, BUT you're also more likely for Wakefield to last 2 innings while giving up 6/7 runs. OTOH, you're almost guaranteed to get 6 pretty solid innings/ giving up 3 runs from Byrd. With the Sox offense and the revitalized bullpen, I'll take my chances with that. "

I agree.........Go Byrd, make Tito's decision easier and pitch a gem tonight!

I agree. Plus, Byrdie has impeccable control, so there is a lot less of a chance for a passed ball that would advance a runner on base.

Tonight's game against the Tribe should be interesting. I wonder if since the Indians know Bryd's tendencies, they will tee off on him or not?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts