MLB 2008 Season

Correct, sir. If the Sox lose today they are toast. If they win today they earn the priviledge of a one game play off vs. the Twins tomorrow @ U.S. Cellular.

KCK,
have you heard anything about a starting time for a potential AL Central playoff on Tuesday? Afternoon or Evening?

Bill,

I heard a "prime time" EDT start was proposed for that one which makes no sense to me. That should be as early a start as possible in order to permit the final playoff shoe to drop and let everyone involved in scheduling, traveling, etc. get on with the business@ hand.

Do most one-game playoffs/tiebreakers occur in the day or night?

i know last year's started in the late afternoon and dragged on into the night.

KCK and Bill can attest to one-game playoff daytime starts- thought the outcomes were less than desirable, the teams did eventually exorcise their postseason demons.

Bill,

I heard a "prime time" EDT start was proposed for that one which makes no sense to me. That should be as early a start as possible in order to permit the final playoff shoe to drop and let everyone involved in scheduling, traveling, etc. get on with the business@ hand.

It's all about ratings though. :(

Bill,

Thanks, buddy :up

I agree with you, but I'm happy that it's in primetime.

Go White Sox (at least for today :D). We need something to hold our interest Tuesday, until the main course is served on Wednesday! ;)

Thanks, buddy :up

I agree with you, but I'm happy that it's in primetime.

Go White Sox (at least for today :D). We need something to hold our interest Tuesday, until the main course is served on Wednesday! ;)

Well, don't take my saying it as "etched in stone". It may change. For the many people involved in it's outcome I hope it is done early...although like you I wouldn't mind a game after work tomorrow.

Speaking of that...even as a an Angels fan in SoCal, it is a slap in the face to all fans on the East Coast to have "our" game start @ 10PM EDT on Wednesday!!!! I know MLB wants a full house out here but a 5PM PDT (8PM EDT) would have made the most sense. People would leave work early to attend the game(s). I'm sorry you have to stay up so late for it!

Each game is given a 3.5 hour time slot. If you make LA to early, then every one else is bumped up as well. It's not just the full house they want, but tv ratings as well and a early afternoon game on the east coast would equal not very good ratings due to everyone in the country being at work. Leaving a small fan base that they can count on for ratings. It would have resulted in a 2pm eastern game in philly. MLB lets tbs decided when these games will be and not the teams. Teams on the west coast generally get 10pm eastern start times. The angels are not the Yankees and won't be given a 8pm eastern time start time because of where they are located.

Well, don't take my saying it as "etched in stone". It may change. For the many people involved in it's outcome I hope it is done early...although like you I wouldn't mind a game after work tomorrow.

Speaking of that...even as a an Angels fan in SoCal, it is a slap in the face to all fans on the East Coast to have "our" game start @ 10PM EDT on Wednesday!!!! I know MLB wants a full house out here but a 5PM PDT (8PM EDT) would have made the most sense. People would leave work early to attend the game(s). I'm sorry you have to stay up so late for it!

You guys earned homefield and that's that (I'm used to working all crazy hours anyway). It also wouldn't be fair to you guys if game 3 starts at 12:30pm ET (9:30am PT) on Sunday, which is one of the possibilities if BOTH NLDS series goes to a game 4.

As far as why does TBS/MLB have the game start at 10/7 instead of 8/5, it's because TBS is trying to get away from those weekday 1pm ET/10am PT starts (like ESPN used to have years back).

So when TBS has a PT host team at their disposal (Angels, Dodgers,etc.), they can push back the first game of a playoff tripleheader to 3pm ET/12 noon PT.

Each game is given a 3.5 hour time slot. If you make LA to early, then every one else is bumped up as well. It's not just the full house they want, but tv ratings as well and a early afternoon game on the east coast would equal not very good ratings due to everyone in the country being at work. Leaving a small fan base that they can count on for ratings. It would have resulted in a 2pm eastern game in philly. MLB lets tbs decided when these games will be and not the teams. Teams on the west coast generally get 10pm eastern start times. The angels are not the Yankees and won't be given a 8pm eastern time start time because of where they are located.

Well, I was thinking more of the RED SOX nation and how much pull they might have as far as a prime time game in their time zone. Actually, as an Angels' fan I am thrilled it's a 7PM start out here.

Red sox and cubs fans are probably two groups that would watch a game anytime. Even if it meant getting up to watch a game at 3am in the morning. Red sox, just drew the short straw this time.
Well, I was thinking more of the RED SOX nation and how much pull they might have as far as a prime time game in their time zone. Actually, as an Angels' fan I am thrilled it's a 7PM start out here.

Red sox and cubs fans are probably two groups that would watch a game anytime. Even if it meant getting up to watch a game at 3am in the morning.

MSHAW"S got that right! :up Case in point being the Red Sox-A's opening series in Japan. The two games started at 5 AM here on a Tuesday and Wednesday, and NESN's rating were still through the roof.

Red sox, just drew the short straw this time.

And I'm one that understands:

1. The Angels earned homefield advantage
2. There's the whole country to consider

In 1999 The Mets played a one game playoff at Cincinnati against the Reds and it was a 7 or 7:30pm start, IIRC!!!...

I remember that game. Al Leiter shut the Reds out and the first game of the next season was the start of one of the longest non-shutout streaks in MLB history. I can't remember if it was the longest or not.

In 1999 The Mets played a one game playoff at Cincinnati against the Reds and it was a 7 or 7:30pm start, IIRC!!!...

That game was originally scheduled for 1:05 ET, but the Reds were forced to wait out a multi-hour rain delay in Milwaukee the day before, so MLB pushed the game time back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)