MLB 2010 Season

You would figure ALL the teams would wanna do this hype up the interest for the local teams.

I USE to work for Chicago Sportschannel in the 90s and the former Blackhawks owner Dick Wirtz did no put ANY...NONE...ZERO....ZILCH home games on TV. He use to say that "if they are at home and televised, why would they wanna come to the stadium?!"

Wasn't it Bill Wirtz? His antiquated idea about not televising home games cost the Blackhawks some of their immense following, something they are just now recovering from. Unfortunately it took his passing to get the Blackhawks' home games back on TV.

Sandra

Wasn't it Bill Wirtz? His antiquated idea about not televising home games cost the Blackhawks some of their immense following, something they are just now recovering from. Unfortunately it took his passing to get the Blackhawks' home games back on TV.

Sandra

Yes, you could be right it was Bill Wirtz. I knew it was something in that range. The guy was the biggest a$$hole in the world....and that was his business side. As a human being, he was even worse. The way he would publicly embarrass employees of the Blackhawks behind the scenes and badmouth former players and coaches behind the scenes when those folks were gone were stuff of legends in the media circles back in the day.

V. Martinez wants Sox extension

Do the right thing Red Sox and lock this guy up!!

Good hitting catchers, as well as good clubhouse guys don't exactly grow on trees! :cool:

"I don’t want to be jumping around, I don’t want to go somewhere else,” Martinez told the Herald. "First, I didn’t want to go out of the Indians organization. Then I’m out, and now I’m here. I came to the place where a lot of players dream to come and a lot of players wish to play here in Boston. So I’m here, I do really want to stay here and hopefully end my career in Boston."

V. Martinez wants Sox extension

Do the right thing Red Sox and lock this guy up!!

Good hitting catchers, as well as good clubhouse guys don't exactly grow on trees! :cool:

The problem is, he might not be a major league catcher anymore. If he can only throw ouf 5 to 10% of the baserunners, then he becomes just another infield bopper, and those get paid several million dollars a year less than do power hitting catchers.

The problem is, he might not be a major league catcher anymore. If he can only throw ouf 5 to 10% of the baserunners, then he becomes just another infield bopper, and those get paid seeral million dollars a year less than do power hitting catchers.

After watching V-Mart closely for the last couple of months in '09, IMO, his defense is vastly underrated.

Don't get me wrong, he won't make anyone forget Pudge Rodriquez in his prime, but he's not as bad as he was made out to be either. PLUS, he can catch the knuckleball! :up

And even if his catching abilitiies falter, the Sox can move Youks to 3B (Adrian Beltre is only here for a year) and move V-Mart to 1B.

Defensively, he won't make anyone forget Bob Tillman, either. Martinez threw out just 11% of the runners for the Red Sox last year, and only 24% over his career. For that matter, Varitek threw ouf 13% last year versus 24% for his career. Those numbers are unacceptable for an Epstein team.

Martinex averages 20 homers a season with 100 RBI and a .300 batting average when healthy. Those numbers are pedestrian for a power hitter, and make him wirth only half as much when playing those positions as he would be worth if he was a functional catcher.

I remember growing up watching Red Sox-Twins games from "The Met" in Bloomington on TV.

Rod Carew, Larry Hisle, Lyman Bostock, Roy Smalley, etc. :)

I remember going to the Met to watch Killebrew, Oliva, et.al. with my grandfather. I know there will be weather related issues, but I'm really happy to see the Twins moving back outside. Games at the dome were fun, but the stadium just has no character at all.

Now if the Twins just finish the job with Joe, things look pretty bright.

I know there will be weather related issues, but I'm really happy to see the Twins moving back outside.

Oh course there will be weather related issues. Its an outdoor stadium. But sadly some people are saying oh its a bad idea with no roof because what happens when it snows in April or the cold

Hey that never stopped the other northern states teams from playing outdoors :)

Like they didn't play outdoor baseball in the Cities before the dome. :rolleyes:
What outdoor stadium doesn't deal with weather issues?

One thing that amazes me is that the Cubs and Indians have gone decades without winning a World Series, while the Marlins have two titles.

Chicago and Cleveland have some of the most passionate, rabid, and loyal fans, yet a team with low fan support (and I am not aiming this at Salsa- personally, I just wish the Marlins had more fans that cared about the team like he does- people that live and die on every Fish pitch like he does. He is in the minority, one that I wish was a majority. Marlin fans should be more like him) has two championships.

(I have nothing against the Marlin players and organization. I just wish their fans wouls care about the team and do a better job of filling up the stadium)

Beisbol is a funny game.

Last edited:
What outdoor stadium doesn't deal with weather issues?

San Diego & LA I guess ;)

Looking forward to sitting outside at a ball game. Seen some college games and Independent league games outside (froze my ass off at some Duluth-Superior Dukes games at Wade Stadium) ;) but never a Twins game. Seen a couple Brewer games when I was in Milwaukee for a weekend :)

San Diego & LA I guess ;)
Extreme summer heat (a few days during the year, but not as bad as the midwest). Actually, LA deals with heat more than SD since LA is inland and SD is right on the coast.

For the most part it never rains in SoCal during the summer. But they both have rain delays every year at the beginning of the season.

Oh course there will be weather related issues. Its an outdoor stadium. But sadly some people are saying oh its a bad idea with no roof because what happens when it snows in April or the cold

Hey that never stopped the other northern states teams from playing outdoors :)

They could have had the best of both worlds and had a RETRACTABLE roof

They could have had the best of both worlds and had a RETRACTABLE roof

That would have been optimal, but I'll settle for being out of the dome, having a settled future in Minnesota, and playing on REAL grass.

I agree to being out of the dome and outside watching baseball :)

The dome has its positives......wait....I'll find one......oh yeah they can have monster truck races there in the winter :)

But some domes like that will make the decision hours before the game and then dont change. So lets say at 11:00AM they decide oh its gonna rain all day lets close the roof. Then at game time which may be 3:00 its beautiful and sunny out. Then you'll have folks complaining about that ;)

yeah there will be rain delays
yeah there will be cold days in April and September
heck there might even be a snow delay

we'll have to get use to it. But those beautiful summer nights when you can sit in the bleachers and look at the sky will make it better than seeing that dingy white roof ;)

But some domes like that will make the decision hours before the game and then dont change. So lets say at 11:00AM they decide oh its gonna rain all day lets close the roof. Then at game time which may be 3:00 its beautiful and sunny out. Then you'll have folks complaining about that ;)

yeah there will be rain delays
yeah there will be cold days in April and September
heck there might even be a snow delay

we'll have to get use to it. But those beautiful summer nights when you can sit in the bleachers and look at the sky will make it better than seeing that dingy white roof
;)

Amen,
Welcome Ice back to real baseball !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)