MLB 2010 Season

If the Giants, Padres and Braves all finish with the same record after Sunday's games, I know the Giants would play the tie-breaker game against the Padres on Monday in SD for the NL west title. But what about the NL wild card game? Would the loser of that game play the Braves for the NL wild card? And when and where would that tie-breaker game be played? Or since the 2nd place NL west team would now have a extra loss because of the tie-breaker this game is never played and the Braves are in the playoffs. :confused:

If both the Padres and Braves win Sunday, San Francisco would play at San Diego on Monday to determine the West champion and the loser would play at Atlanta on Tuesday for the wild card.

If the Padres and Braves lose tomorrow, there would be a one-game tiebreaker in Atlanta on Monday night for the wild card.

I did find this (and read it a few times) but I'm still :confused:

Scenario #4: If three Clubs are tied for first place in a Division (or Wild Card) with an identical winning percentage at the conclusion of the championship season and the tied Clubs do not have identical records against one another in the championship season, the tie for the Division Championship (or Wild Card) shall be broken as follows:

If the three tied Clubs have identical records against one another in the championship season, the Office of the Commissioner shall supervise a draw that results in the Clubs' being designated Club "A," "B," and "C."

If the tied Clubs do not have identical records against one another in the champoinship season, they will be designated Club "A,""B," and "C" based on their records in head-to- head competition during the championship season as follows:

If Club 1 has a better record against each of Clubs 2 and 3, and Club 2 has a better record against Club 3, then Club 1 shall choose a designation as Club "A," "B," or "C," and Club 2 shall choose a designation from the remaining two designations. Club 3 shall be assigned the remaining designation.

If Club 1 has a better record against each of Clubs 2 and 3, and Club 2 and Club 3 have the same record against each other, then Club 1 shall choose a designation as Club "A," "B," or "C," and the Office of the Commissioner shall supervise a draw between Clubs 2 and 3, the winner of which shall choose one of the remaining two designations. The remaining Club shall be assigned the remaining designation.

If Club 1 and Club 2 have the same record against each other but each has a better record against Club 3, then the Office of the Commissioner shall supervise a draw between Clubs 1 and 2, the winner of which shall choose a designation as Club "A," "B," or "C." The Club losing the draw shall choose a designation from the remaining two designations. Club 3 shall be assigned the remaining designation.

If Club 1 has a better record against Club 2, Club 2 has a better record against Club 3, and Club 3 has a better record against Club 1, then the three Clubs shall be ranked on the basis of overall winning percentage within that three-Club group, and the Club with the highest winning percentage from among that three-Club group shall have first choice among designations as Club"A," "B," or "C," the Club with the next highest winning percentage from among that three-Club group shall have the next choice between the two remaining designations, and the Club with the lowest winning percentage from among that three-Club group shall be assigned the remaining designation. If two or more of the Clubs within such three-Club group have the same winning percentage among the group, the Office of the Commissioner shall supervise a draw between the Clubs so tied to determine priority of selection among the designations.

Club"A" shall play Club "B" at the ballpark of Club "A" on Monday, September 29. The following day (Tuesday, September 30), the winner of the first game shall be the home Club in a second game, against Club "C." The winner of the game between Club"C" and the Club that won the game between Club"A" and Club"B" shall be declared the Division Champion.

Example of Scenario #4: The Chicago White Sox, Kansas City Royals and Minnesota Twins tie for the AL Central Division Championship. The Seattle Mariners have a better record than all three tied Clubs and would be the Wild Card. Based on their head-to-head records through games of September 7 (CWS 7-5 over each Minnesota and KC; KC 11-8 over Minnesota), the White Sox would choose their designation as Club "A," "B," or "C," and Kansas City would choose a designation from the remaining two designations. Minnesota would be assigned the remaining designation.

The big winners if there was a three way tie after tomorrow (or even a two way tie) would be the Phillies and Reds.

If both the Padres and Braves win Sunday, San Francisco would play at San Diego on Monday to determine the West champion and the loser would play at Atlanta on Tuesday for the wild card.

If the Padres and Braves lose tomorrow, there would be a one-game tiebreaker in Atlanta on Monday night for the wild card.

Thanks Bill. I'm no longer :confused: :)

I know that unlike NFL and the NBA that there were ties (same season record) and then you would look at head to head records with the lesser team eliminated with the same record.

Because the other teams have to play another day instead of getting a break.

Exactly.

Let's say hypothetically, there's a three way tie after tomorrow.

Monday night the Giants and Padres would play for the NL West title. What if that game goes extra innings?

Then Tuesday night the loser of Padres-Giants would have to play the Braves for the Wild Card. What if THAT game goes extra innings?

Now Wednesday you have to open up the NLDS with a tired pitching staff against a rested Phillies and Reds staff.

BTW, there is one other scenario for tomorrow:

IF the Padres WIN AND the Braves LOSE.............The Padres would be NL West champs (based on head to head with the Giants) and the Giants would be the Wild Card.

One thing is certain: the Giants are GUARANTEED that their season does not end tomorrow.

Last edited:
The Giants season can't end Monday either. Wild Card winner if Braves lose and Padres win or tie breaker game against the Braves should they both win.

Yes the loser would play Atlanta in Atlanta on Tuesday.

I can't believe TBS is on Sunday is not airing neither the Braves/Philly or Padres/Giants. Really the only games with playoff compilations. Nope it's another Yankees/Red Sox game.

I can't believe TBS is on Sunday is not airing neither the Braves/Philly or Padres/Giants. Really the only games with playoff compilations. Nope it's another Yankees/Red Sox game.

That's ridiculous, and I'm a Red Sox fan!

Yes, the Yankees are in a battle for the AL East, but they're in the playoffs anyway. Padres-Giants should have been the TBS game, it's a no-brainer!

The only good thing to come out this whole FOX vs Dish thing for me on E* was before (on Thursday) Sunday's game on my HD RSN had the Padres @ Giants game at sometime after 2pm because it was a JIP game. Now since many Fox RSN have left I now get at 12:30 with the half hour pregame. :)

Red Sox just tied the Yankees, 6-6 bottom of 8th. The bases are loaded with one out.

If the Yankees lose, they will be tied with the Rays with 1 game left.

Red Sox win in extras.What does that do for the AL East scenarios tomorrow?

Rays win OR Yankees lose:

Rays win the AL East, #1 seed and would host Texas starting Wednesday. Yankees would be #4 seed and play at Minnesota starting Wednesday.

Yankees win AND Rays lose:

Yankees win AL East, #1 seed and would host Texas starting Wednesday.
Rays would be #4 seed and play at Minnesota starting Wednesday.

Braves ahead of Phillies, 7-2 bottom of 5th.

It looks like the Padres will have to win today, to extend their season until at least tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts