MLB 2012 Off Season News, Notes & Transactions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
The Indians have declined the option on Grady Sizemore's contract for 2012, but have picked up the option for Fausto Carmona for 2012.

Sizemore's option was for $9 million. Question is, what do the Indians do with that $9 million? Who will they spend it on, if anybody? Carmona will make $7 million in 2012 for the Tribe.

From the Twitter: Braves Pitcher, Derek Lowe is being informed as we speak that he has been traded to the Indians

And? Is it GOOD for the Tribe...BAD...what do you think?

Early word is that the Braves are eating $10 million of his $15 million contract and we didn't give up much of anything to get him. As a #5 starter, I guess he's ok. Don't expect much of him at this stage of his career though.

Last edited:
I just looked at Lowe's numbers. Yeah, he had a statistical stinker of a season this year, going 9-17 with an ERA of five, but the three seasons preceeding it were good enough to be a third or even a second starter, and he has been the most durable pitcher in baseball over the last decade, averaging 33-34 starts per season and nearly 200 innings.

I don't think a sinkerball pitcher's career goes off a cliff like a fastball pitchers might, as long as he is physically sound. I think he is a good gamble, even for twice the price.

I just looked at Lowe's numbers. Yeah, he had a statistical stinker of a season this year, going 9-17 with an ERA of five, but the three seasons preceeding it were good enough to be a third or even a second starter, and he has been the most durable pitcher in baseball over the last decade, averaging 33-34 starts per season and nearly 200 innings.

I don't think a sinkerball pitcher's career goes off a cliff like a fastball pitchers might, as long as he is physically sound. I think he is a good gamble, even for twice the price.

I couldn't agree more. He's won many big games in his career, and if I'm not mistaken, is still the only pitcher to win the deciding games of an LDS, LCS and WS in the same season. I'd take back D-Lowe in a heartbeat!

Good perspective Bill and Mike. You can never have enough good pitching. I also like that D-Lowe is durable. Sometimes, that value alone is priceless.

Good perspective Bill and Mike. You can never have enough good pitching. I also like that D-Lowe is durable. Sometimes, that value alone is priceless.

It's funny, but the Red Sox called up a pitcher in the summer of 2007 that reminded me a lot of D-Lowe.

That pitcher's name? Justin Masterson ;)

The fences are coming in at Citi Field next year.

The Mets announced Monday they are moving the walls in by as much as 12 feet next season, lowering the height to 8 feet and changing the color to blue.

According to STATS LLC, Citi Field was last in the major leagues in home runs during its first three seasons with an average of 1.43 per game. The ballpark’s 3.78 ERA was the sixth-lowest in the major leagues.

Mets bring in Citi Field fences, eye power surge

In the late 1960s, I think it was the Dodgers who accomplished the same thing by moving out home plate. It preserved the ballpark aesthetics and seating arrangements better than bringng the walls in.

Last edited:
HD MM,

Since this is your thread do you want season award announcement posted here or should I create a separate thread about awards?

I couldn't agree more. He's won many big games in his career, and if I'm not mistaken, is still the only pitcher to win the deciding games of an LDS, LCS and WS in the same season. I'd take back D-Lowe in a heartbeat!

Me too, I would have LOVED Lowe pitching for the Tigers this year .... we'll give you Brad Penney for NOTHING!

It's funny, but the Red Sox called up a pitcher in the summer of 2007 that reminded me a lot of D-Lowe.

That pitcher's name? Justin Masterson ;)

Bill, I saw some of the free agents for the Red Sox. Do you keep any of them? I mean Bedard stinks and Wakefield is 117 yrs. old. I would just keep Big Poppi. What do you think?

In the late 1960s, I think it was the Dodgers who accomplished the same thing by moving out home plate. It preserved the ballpark asethetics and seating arangements better than bringng the walls in.

THATS why you can fit a football field in the foul territory !

Jimbo, I think Penny is a free agent. Who do you think the Tigers resign?
Thankfully they only signed Penney to a 1 year contract.

They will probably go LATE into the Spring Training before they get serious about a # 5 pitcher, this will give them all spring to re evaluate thier own, Jacob Turner and Andrew Oliver.

We could see one or the other in the rotation OR sent packing to get another pitcher.

As far as other Tigers FA's ...
I would bet that Ordonez is gone, maybe to retire as well, 2 broken ankles in a few years will do that.
Carlos Guillen is probably gone as well.

Thier bullpen is always flexible, so some may be gone there as well.

I think the Tigers will go out and get a serviceable back up catcher.

Bill, I saw some of the free agents for the Red Sox. Do you keep any of them? I mean Bedard stinks and Wakefield is 117 yrs. old. I would just keep Big Poppi. What do you think?

Not Bill, but I would think the Red Sox would keep Wakefield and probably Big Papi as well.

Bedard will be a nice signing to a performance contract. He is worth a lot of money if he holds up physically.

There will be no one bidding against the Red Sox for Wakefield's services. He is the consummate insurance policy. If you get to the point in a season where it is better to have a below average pitcher than no pitcher, then Wakefield is your man, and with the fragility of major league pitching, that happens often. The year before last, at the start of the season, people were saying "What are the Red Sox going to do with eight starting pitchrrs?" but three months later, they had to call up someone named Tazawa or Tawaza to pitch in the fifth spot.

I've been a big Wakefield booster for a long time, but there are a lot of costs associated with keeping him on your roster. For one thing, he dictates who your back-up catcher is. For another, when he is in the rotation, he dictates what off-day your starting catcher has, and quite often, that is inconvenient because the manager likes to be free to use the back-up in a day game following a night game, for example, but if Wakefield is scheduled for the game after that, then the backup catches two games in a row. Also, the Red Sox often have to incur the cost of having one or two knuckleballers pitching in the minors just so they can have a minor league backup knuckleball catcher available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)