MLB 2012 Off Season News, Notes & Transactions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jackson Robbed from the GG and Miggly CLearly robbed for the SS. Gonzo had a great season but Cabrera's was better across the board. I hate Red Sox and their nation. Markakis? Gordon? Come on?
Not sure why the disdain for RSN about this when it's the MLB managers and coaches you should be mad at. They're the ones who vote for these awards....

hmm....interesting...

Tue Nov 08 07:28am EST

Marlins meeting Reyes and Buehrle

By Mark J. Miller

The Florida Marlins finished in dead last in the National League East last season with a 72-90 record, but the team is looking to make some vast improvement in the offseason and will probably up its payroll in order to do so.

The Miami Herald reports that the team contacted 28-year-old shortstop Jose Reyes(notes) the moment they could do so last Thursday morning at midnight in order to express interest.

The Herald points out that if the four-time All-Star Reyes joins the Marlins, it'll mean Hanley Ramirez(notes) makes the position change that he said in September that he'd be open to.

FOX Sports has it that the team is meeting with Reyes Wednesday, and will meet with another free agent Tuesday: Mark Buehrle(notes). Buehrle has compiled a 161-119 record in his career with the Chicago White Sox. He's been a four-time All-Star, a three-time Gold Glove winner, and pitched a perfect game back in 2009.

On Thursday, the Herald notes, 13 Marlins employees, including the Big Boss Jeffrey Loria, are headed to the Dominican Republic to take a look at 26-year-old Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes, who "is expected to receive clearance to begin talking with major league teams later this month and could command a $30 million figure to sign."

MLB Blog: Scoop Du Jour - Yahoo! Sports Blog

Take Buehrle...skip Reyes.

Sandra

Well...I think they have enough hitting to possibly win the East...IF everyone stays healthy. I think IF they Wilson and a combo of Buehrle/Oswalt...and maybe pick-up a better hitting catcher than Buck...they can be a great shape. They also have a high interest in the Phillies Madson and Papelbon.

There is no doubt the Marlins will be major players. I mean Reyes would not be a bad pick-up if they get him for 5 years at the same price as Hanley...which is about the $15-17 million dollar range, but I doubt he will want anything less than $18 million.

I am VERY interested in this cuban kid, 26-year-old Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes. I have some friends in the D.R. that have been in the workout facility he has been working out at with a bunch of unsigned FA and they say he is the real deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
This kid broke the all time home run record for one season...he would a HUGE "propaganda tool" for the Marlins in a position they deperately need to fill....centerfield.

The Boston Red Sox have reportedly targeted outfielder Carlos Beltran, according to Sports Illustrated’s Jon Heyman. A baseball executive reportedly told Heyman that the All-Star free-agent could get a two-year deal.

The Red Sox are likely eyeing Beltran to serve as the team’s starting right-fielder after previous starter J.D. Drew became a free-agent this fall. If the team signs Beltran, he would join Jacoby Ellsbury and Carl Crawford in Boston’s outfield.

Red Sox Targeting Carlos Beltran | SI Tracking Blog

Looks like the Braves are looking to potentially deal Jurjiins and one other ....

I wonder if Dombrowski and the Tigers would be interested in Jir, seeing he started in Detroit...
He's been often injured, but he would fit the bill for a #3 pitcher, much better than that if he's healthy.

BillD1984 said:
One thing we know for sure: As long as Papelbon is okay physically, he can certainly handle the mental pressure that comes with pitching in the Northeast!

Signed 4 years/$50 million with the Phillies.

DAMN IT!!!!

Bard is not ready to be the closer, wonder what the sox do now?

Signed 4 years/$50 million with the Phillies.

DAMN IT!!!!

Bard is not ready to be the closer, wonder what the sox do now?

I hate to see Paps go, but damn 4/50 for a closer?!! :eek:

Unless your name is Mariano Rivera, the shelf life for a closer isn't very encouraging.

Philadelphia is now committed to carrying a Yankees/Red Sox level payroll. I wonder how long they can carry it if the don't win the World Series in a year or two.

Baseball team attendance peaks a year or two after performance peaks. Detroit annual attendance peaked in 2008 but has dropped by 600,000 since. Philadelphia draws 800,000 a season more when they are a first place team than when they are a second place team, whereaas the Red Sox draw the same number of fans no matter what. Philadelphia will choke on its $170 million payroll and have a bloodletting if it misses the playoffs two years in a row.

Last edited:
All kinds of rumors down here that Reyes is almost a done deal. I will see it if when I believe it. Also, Marlins are going hard after local kid and many think consider the best young left in the AL, Geo Hernandez. BUT, the A's want a bat.

Cardinals Name Mike Matheny Manager
By Steve Adams [November 13 at 5:11pm CST]

The Cardinals have named former big league catcher Mike Matheny as their new manager, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (Twitter link). The Cardinals will hold a press conference tomorrow morning to officially announce the move.

Matheny, 41, doesn't have managerial experience but is no stranger to the game. His Major League career spanned 13 seasons, including five with the Cardinals from 2000-2004. Several candidates interviewed for the job, with former Red Sox manager Terry Francona presenting Matheny's most notable competition. Others included Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg and Cardinals third base coach Jose Oquendo.

The move figures to be a popular one for many in the organization, as SI.com's Jon Heyman tweets that the Cardinals players and pitching coach Dave Duncan "love Matheny" and that they view him as the "ultimate leader." That likely includes pending free agent Albert Pujols, who has "a ton of respect" for Matheny, according to this tweet from Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports. It will be interesting to see what kind of impact, if any, this decision has on Pujols' decision. Earlier in the month, former teammate David Eckstein told Morosi he thought Pujols would stay in St. Louis if Oquendo got the managerial nod.

Bill, Im a little surprised with Papelbon going to the Phillies. I mean Papelbon has had his meltdown moments and the Phillies fans are tough. Who will close for Boston now? I dont think it will be Josh Bard because he did terrible at the end of the year.

Salsa, I havent heard but is Reyes going to the Marlins. I'll tell you what, with the Marlins talking to Reyes, Buerhle, Pujols and Fielder it seems like the Marlins are going for it. They wont get all 4 guys I mentioned but they'll get at least one I think.

Bill, Im a little surprised with Papelbon going to the Phillies. I mean Papelbon has had his meltdown moments and the Phillies fans are tough. Who will close for Boston now? I dont think it will be Josh Bard because he did terrible at the end of the year.

Salsa, I havent heard but is Reyes going to the Marlins. I'll tell you what, with the Marlins talking to Reyes, Buerhle, Pujols and Fielder it seems like the Marlins are going for it. They wont get all 4 guys I mentioned but they'll get at least one I think.

However, if ONE goes to the Marlins, will it be anywheres close to enough to get them to the playoffs and further if possible ?
While it would be nice, I don't see one being enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)