MLB 2017 Season

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
Let's go Reds.......to last place. :(

I think this is the most I've anticipated a Red Sox season starting since 1988. There are a lot of similarities, IMO. That Sox team had a talented young group led by Mike Greenwell, Ellis Burks, Todd Benzinger, Brady Anderson, Jody Reed and John Marzano. This year's version has Xander Bogaerts, Mookie Betts, Jackie Bradley Jr., Andrew Benintendi and Blake Swihart. The '88 club added a stud closer in the bullpen- Lee Smith. This year the Sox added Chris Sale to anchor their starting rotation. I do think this year's team is better (and I hope they are......the 1988 Sox got swept in the ALCS by Oakland), mainly because their starting rotation is far superior. The '88 team had two studs anchoring the rotation (Roger Clemens and Bruce Hurst), but a declining Oil Can Boyd and a bunch of flotsam and jetsam rounded out the rotation ( Wes Gardner, Jeff Sellers and Mike Smithson). It wasn't until they traded Brady Anderson and a very young Curt Schilling for Mike Boddicker midseason that the rotation was stabilized. The 2017 Sox rotation is VERY deep led by Sale, reigning Cy Young winner Rick Porcello and former CYA winner David Price. The back end of the '17 rotation is the deepest in recent memory. The #4 starter will more than likely be budding star Eduardo Rodriquez, and the #5 spot goes to either Drew Pomeranz or Steven Wright (both 2016 All-Stars). Yes, they will miss the production of Big Papi, but this Sox team looks like it will have many different ways to beat you.

Not sure what to expect with our Tigers this year, If they stay healthy they will be competitive I believe, but with there current roster, this is probably the last year as they start to trade and not resign guys with hefty contracts. Start of a rebuild of the roster, which could start as soon as the trading deadline later this year

Hey Tiger fans,
We all heard the talk from Avilla during the off season stating that he was gonna dismantle the team .... he started by getting rid of the one guy that played much better than expected (Camrin Maybin).... then went out and did NOT get rid of guys ...
Now the team is wanting to win it as they realize the team was not dismantled.

That said, they still need a CF'er now ...

Hey Avilla, there a team with a real good CF'er that the team doesn't want playing CF in PITTSBURGH ...

Come on Avilla, heres your opportunity to get a Super Star CF'er in Andrew McCuttchen.

Mr. I would do it.

As they all said, if they stay healthy, ya never know.

Don't know what McCuttchen contract is for right now, but for the foreseeable future the days of big contract players are over for the tigers, Avila has said as much and from what I have read Chris illitch is not the big spender when it comes to the sport teams

The goal will be to pair down from the 200 million mark.

CF will be a platoon position this year. At the trade deadline I expect JD Martinez to be traded as they will not be signing him

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Don't know what McCuttchen contract is for right now, but for the foreseeable future the days of big contract players are over for the tigers, Avila has said as much and from what I have read Chris illitch is not the big spender when it comes to the sport teams

The goal will be to pair down from the 200 million mark.

CF will be a platoon position this year. At the trade deadline I expect JD Martinez to be traded as they will not be signing him

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!
It's gonna be sad to watch the Tigers be dismantled.
They had a Centerfielder in Maybin and gave him away, he was very reasonably priced too.

...and the annual countdown to the first Mets SP out for season-ending surgery official begins! <sigh>

Speaking of McCutchen...shame the Mets couldn't clear out the glut of outfielders and put together a deal for him in CF. He would have been a really nice piece, especially considering his recent comments about being unhappy about the team moving him from CF to RF.

I'm sure theres a lot of teams that would be interested .... again, I didn't look up his contract status, but I would love for Detroit to sign him for a 2 year contract.

A question for you Florida fans, what's with the starburst emblem on the front of the Tampa Bay Ray's uniforms?

I think this is the most I've anticipated a Red Sox season starting since 1988. There are a lot of similarities, IMO. That Sox team had a talented young group led by Mike Greenwell, Ellis Burks, Todd Benzinger, Brady Anderson, Jody Reed and John Marzano. This year's version has Xander Bogaerts, Mookie Betts, Jackie Bradley Jr., Andrew Benintendi and Blake Swihart. The '88 club added a stud closer in the bullpen- Lee Smith. This year the Sox added Chris Sale to anchor their starting rotation. I do think this year's team is better (and I hope they are......the 1988 Sox got swept in the ALCS by Oakland), mainly because their starting rotation is far superior. The '88 team had two studs anchoring the rotation (Roger Clemens and Bruce Hurst), but a declining Oil Can Boyd and a bunch of flotsam and jetsam rounded out the rotation ( Wes Gardner, Jeff Sellers and Mike Smithson). It wasn't until they traded Brady Anderson and a very young Curt Schilling for Mike Boddicker midseason that the rotation was stabilized. The 2017 Sox rotation is VERY deep led by Sale, reigning Cy Young winner Rick Porcello and former CYA winner David Price. The back end of the '17 rotation is the deepest in recent memory. The #4 starter will more than likely be budding star Eduardo Rodriquez, and the #5 spot goes to either Drew Pomeranz or Steven Wright (both 2016 All-Stars). Yes, they will miss the production of Big Papi, but this Sox team looks like it will have many different ways to beat you.
Hey Bill,
I've been out of the loop for a little, whats the latest on the Price injury, serious or not ?

Hey Bill,
I've been out of the loop for a little, whats the latest on the Price injury, serious or not ?

They apparently (at least for now) dodged a bullet on Price. He didn't even require a shot. They had a scare yesterday, as Porcello was hit by a line drive off the bat of Cespedes (ironically enough the guy he was traded for), but the Sox are saying that Porcello is fine.

They apparently (at least for now) dodged a bullet on Price. He didn't even require a shot. They had a scare yesterday, as Porcello was hit by a line drive off the bat of Cespedes (ironically enough the guy he was traded for), but the Sox are saying that Porcello is fine.
I'm expecting great things from Boston this year ... not expecting much from the Tigers this year.

Reactions: BillD1984
I suspect that Verlander will be the Good Verlander for the majority of the year, and that Cabrera will be his usual self, hopefully he stays healthy.

I may actually break down and get the MLB package so I can watch the Red Sox.
No clue what that should cost.

No, it's meaningless. A bunch of slapped together "All-stars" playing other slapped together "All-stars". The real downside is these guys are missing spring training when they should be working on things like fielding timing with their teammates or getting to know the outfielder who's going to play next to you this season and what his range is and tendences are. If you're catching in the WBC you're not working with, and getting to know, your pitching staff. If your pitching your not working with your teams pitching coach or catcher. If you're hitting your not working with your teams hitting coach. There are so many more reasons why it's a bad idea. It's a joke, IMHO.

No, it's meaningless. A bunch of slapped together "All-stars" playing other slapped together "All-stars". The real downside is these guys are missing spring training when they should be working on things like fielding timing with their teammates or getting to know the outfielder who's going to play next to you this season and what his range is and tendences are. If you're catching in the WBC you're not working with, and getting to know, your pitching staff. If your pitching your not working with your teams pitching coach or catcher. If you're hitting your not working with your teams hitting coach. There are so many more reasons why it's a bad idea. It's a joke, IMHO.
Wow, tell me how you really feel !

I don't really like it when they do this, but it's fun for the guys to represent thier country, for those that want to.

That said, the Tigers record is miserable this spring, and the media is all over it locally, however, what do you expect when 10-15 guys are away from camp.

Yeah, I don't see how any organization can accurately determine just what they have coming out of Spring training when their best players haven't been in camp.

Yeah, I don't see how any organization can accurately determine just what they have coming out of Spring training when their best players haven't been in camp.
I believe I read that the Tigers have the most players playing in the WBC than any other team .... hard to believe with how poor they usually play the last few years.

I can see Cabrera, Verlander and Kinsler, but thats about it .... don't you have to be GOOD to be accepted to play for your country ?

They don't have to be good by MLB standards, they only have to be better than the non-MLB players from their home country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)