MLB 2022 Season

Funny that you referenced Richie Allen. I went to a White Sox-Red Sox game back in 1974, and Allen hit one over the Green Monster that I’m not sure has come down yet. I was only 8 years old, but I swear that was probably the longest HR I ever witnessed.
Does anyone actually know how far it is to hit the ball Out of Fenway ?

It can't be that astronomical to Left field ...

Same would go for Minute maid park in Houston (Houston I don't think is as close, but its not all that far either.
Hitting the ball over the Train track has been done many times (Houston). Over the train track isn't necessarily Out of the Park

Does anyone actually know how far it is to hit the ball Out of Fenway ?

It can't be that astronomical to Left field ...

Same would go for Minute maid park in Houston (Houston I don't think is as close, but its not all that far either.
Hitting the ball over the Train track has been done many times (Houston). Over the train track isn't necessarily Out of the Park

If you’re talking completely out of Fenway then yeah, left field is relatively easy. The rest of Fenway? Never gonna happen.

I would say as of right now they are the team to beat!....They have the wind at their backs and cant do wrong.
Really, good luck with that ...

Personally I would take the Astros or Tampa .... hopefully they can get by the yankees if they meet.
The Indians would be my 4th team choice to make it ...

Personally I would take the Astros or Tampa .... hopefully they can get by the yankees if they meet.

Please!!! Anybody but Tampa Bay and that pinball machine they call a “ballpark”!! My AL wish list is Mariners, Guardians and Blue Jays- in that order. I would be okay with either the Astros or Yankees, but want no part of another World Series involving the Rays. I don’t think their 11 fans care one way or another either.

• Haha
Reactions: Jimbo

You have forgotten the first round is a wild card team....This is baseball, you get to the big dance anything can happen....Tell those Dodger fans last year or Braves fans....I will leave it there!

Real Playoffs don't start till the ALCS and NLCS ... the rest is just to make more money and more teams involved.
Remember when 4-6 teams were all that qualified ?

Now its become like hockey where everyone makes the playoffs, much like Little League where you get a participation trophy for showing up.

I don't like the Expanded playoffs at all.

Real Playoffs don't start till the ALCS and NLCS ... the rest is just to make more money and more teams involved.

Now its become like hockey where everyone makes the playoffs, much like Little League where you get a participation trophy for showing up.

So you’re really saying that none of the 8 teams that are playing in the Wildcard round have no shot to advance to the LCS? If that’s the case, we might as well have Mets vs. Dodgers and Astros vs. Yankees right now. And Jimbo, I remember when we had a legit NHL thread here 10-15 years ago and you were a HUGE part of that. Absolutely nothing has changed with the number of teams that qualify for the playoffs since then. Why the sudden turn-off?

Reactions: AZ.

Baseball, is a 162 game grind... a team can have more than 90 wins and not make the playoffs in the East while the West a 85 win team gets in with the older AL East/West Champs only setup. At least with the four team set up, you get the best "loser". The six team set up is silly because now after a 162 game grind... there is a best of three set up where now we aren't seeing who is the best team, but who can play the best couple of pitching lineups possible.

Best of seven series gives you the best team overall. Best of 3 or worse, a single game playoff, no better than a coin toss.

Reactions: AZ.
So you’re really saying that none of the 8 teams that are playing in the Wildcard round have no shot to advance to the LCS? If that’s the case, we might as well have Mets vs. Dodgers and Astros vs. Yankees right now. And Jimbo, I remember when we had a legit NHL thread here 10-15 years ago and you were a HUGE part of that. Absolutely nothing has changed with the number of teams that qualify for the playoffs since then. Why the sudden turn-off?
Tooooo many teams now ...

When the NHL went to Half of all teams, it was too much .
I'm hoping the MLB playoff don't do the same.

Pretty soon, all teams will get in and just play the season for the seedings ... that will be the end of it all.

Bill, for example, if the Red Sox were at .500, would you really want them in the Playoffs ?

My point is you should need to actually be GOOD in order to make the playoffs, pretty soon if they expand any more, that won't be the case.

I'm Praying that College Football doesn't go to far with thier Playoff expansion .... in My opinion, it should go no more than 8 teams, 10 at the most. That a little under 10%.

Baseball, is a 162 game grind... a team can have more than 90 wins and not make the playoffs in the East while the West a 85 win team gets in with the older AL East/West Champs only setup. At least with the four team set up, you get the best "loser". The six team set up is silly because now after a 162 game grind... there is a best of three set up where now we aren't seeing who is the best team, but who can play the best couple of pitching lineups possible.

Best of seven series gives you the best team overall. Best of 3 or worse, a single game playoff, no better than a coin toss.
I agree ....
3 game series or a 1 game, that doesn't do justice ... its a coin flip.

:whistle

Actually, the NHL went to well more than half... it was closer to 3/4's in the 1970s to the 2000s. Now it is closer to half due to expansion. The NHL has been sending a lot of teams to the playoffs since the 1920's. To be complaining about it now... that's silly.

I'm hoping the MLB playoff don't do the same.

Pretty soon, all teams will get in and just play the season for the seedings ... that will be the end of it all.

Bill, for example, if the Red Sox were at .500, would you really want them in the Playoffs ?

My point is you should need to actually be GOOD in order to make the playoffs, pretty soon if they expand any more, that won't be the case.

I'm Praying that College Football doesn't go to far with thier Playoff expansion .... in My opinion, it should go no more than 8 teams, 10 at the most. That a little under 10%.

To be absolutely honest with you I don’t know how I’d feel if the Red Sox qualified with a say, 82-80 or 83-79 record. Perhaps a little embarrassed. But I’ll tell you one thing, once the playoffs got started I’d be rooting my ass off for them to go as far as they could. Isn’t that the great thing about the fan bases that are still alive right now? They all have hope for winning the World Series.

I agree ....
3 game series or a 1 game, that doesn't do justice ... its a coin flip.

I get that people don’t care for the expanded postseason. Heck, even I was against it when they first announced it. Now I’m really looking forward to it. What I don’t understand is this hue and cry about the one game playoff or best of three series. Again, you are getting rewarded very handsomely for finishing with one of the top two records in either league. You’re getting 5 days off to rest up for your opponent in the LDS and they have to use all their top starters and exhaust their bullpens in the do or die Wildcard round. IMO, it’s going to be very interesting to see how this shakes out in the first year of this format.

As much as most of baseball fans Still can't get over the Astros, from 5 years ago ...
They have a Very good chance again in the Post Season ...
Icing on the cake for them would be if Brantley was well enough to play, but I think thye will do just fine with thier Strong Pitching staff ...
They have the advantage in most cases due to being 3-4 Starters strong, most teams don't have that .... at least 1 of the Starters will go to the Bull pen ..... they have a capable pen already .... that said, I am not convinced with Pressley Closing, but I don't have a better one to Close on thier staff .... only other one I guess to close would be Stanek.

Heres hoping they don't draw TB as the seem to have the Astros number every year.

Deja vu all over again…..

I’m confused, I thought Apple had national contractual rights to Friday night (as Peacock does to Sunday morning/afternoon). Not that I’m complaining because I’m a sub to Prime Video. Just curious.

• Wow
Reactions: Jimbo