MLB Assuming Control of LA Dodgers

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball is taking the extraordinary step of assuming control of the Los Angeles Dodgers, a team increasingly paralyzed by its owners' bitter divorce.

Once among baseball's glamour franchises, the Dodgers have been consumed by infighting since Jamie McCourt filed for divorce after 30 years of marriage in October 2009, one week after her husband fired her as the team's chief executive. Frank McCourt accused Jamie of having an affair with her bodyguard-driver and performing poorly at work.

Wow. Discuss.....

Los Angeles Dodgers taken over by MLB - ESPN Los Angeles

How does MLB have the authority to take over a business that is owned by someone else?

How does MLB have the authority to take over a business that is owned by someone else?
It is probably contractual. Since the business operates under the authority of MLB, MLB has certain authorities under ownership contract

Are teams franchises of MLB?
I don't know. I do know that owners can only do what MLB allows as they have a contracted ownership though MLB. Perhaps there is something within the contract or collective bargaining agreement, or some stipulation when finances become an issue.

I do know if they were not allowed to do so, McCourt would definitely be a guy to immediately file a law suit (which he just may do anyway). I would bet the farm that he has lawyers looking at it as we speak

I don't know. I do know that owners can only do what MLB allows as they have a contracted ownership though MLB. Perhaps there is something within the contract or collective bargaining agreement, or some stipulation when finances become an issue.

I do know if they were not allowed to do so, McCourt would definitely be a guy to immediately file a law suit (which he just may do anyway). I would bet the farm that he has lawyers looking at it as we speak

ESPN reported this morning that McCourt is filing suit against MLB.

Are teams franchises of MLB?
Nope, teams are solely owned by the owners, MLB has no ownership rights to the teams. That was actually part of MLB's arguments when they got the anti-trust exemption by declaring the teams were owned by the owners and not the league so each one was an intrastate organization as opposed to be an interstate organization and therefore exempt from the Sherman Act.

An act like this by MLB could actually destroy the exemption.

Thank God John Henry and his partners outbid McCourt for the Red Sox back in 2002....
True but what is causing the troubles with the team? Is it just the divorce? How is the attendance at Dodger games? California has never had the love of baseball like the east coast. The Oakland A's are struggling as well.

True but what is causing the troubles with the team? Is it just the divorce? How is the attendance at Dodger games? California has never had the love of baseball like the east coast. The Oakland A's are struggling as well.

In December, Superior Court Judge Scott Gordon in Los Angeles invalidated a March 2004 postnuptial agreement giving Frank McCourt sole ownership of the team, allowing Jamie to seek one half of the franchise.

Selig's move came after The Los Angeles Times reported this week that Frank McCourt had arranged a $30 million loan from Fox, the team's television partner. Selig has not approved a $200 million loan from Fox to the club, which was first proposed by the Dodgers last summer, and the Times said the money was needed to make payroll.

I never knew there was such a thing as a postnuptial agreement. Apparently, they're not effective....

Los Angeles Dodgers taken over by MLB - ESPN Los Angeles

The commissioner of baseball has extraordinary power. He would take over the franchise on the grounds it is for the good of the game. If three quarters of the other owners agreed then the take over would be ratified.

From a strategic stand point he could wait until the Dodgers were on the financial rocks as were the Rangers when MLB got involved.

Jim

Both the Mets and Dodgers apparently have financial troubles, but Wilpon is supposedly a friend of Selig and might get a little more time...

The Mets are not in the same situation as the Dodgers at the moment. The Dodgers were cutting back on everything from security to amenities, and one of the most prestigious franchises in the sport cannot be run that way.

The Wilponzis, have a liquidity issue right now and potential losses from the lawsuit down the road, but it has not affected them the way it's affected the Dodgers.

Sandra

Dodgers have the highest attendance in the NL and are pretty much always #2 behind the Yankees.

The issue with the finances is a combination of the divorce (and the stupid no fault divorce law) and his stupid property investments where he used the team as collateral and borrowed from the organization. Now that property value has dropped, so as his net worth (although in CA property is still pretty high. A house a couple blocks from mine in a middle class neighborhood in a lower class city is on the market for $780,000 (used to be worth $1.5 million)

The Mets are not in the same situation as the Dodgers at the moment. The Dodgers were cutting back on everything from security to amenities, and one of the most prestigious franchises in the sport cannot be run that way.

The Wilponzis, have a liquidity issue right now and potential losses from the lawsuit down the road, but it has not affected them the way it's affected the Dodgers.

Sandra
Not the same, but similar. The Mets did take a $25M loan last November from MLB and last month the NY Post reported that the Mets were seeking a second loan to address their "short-term liquidity issue".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)