MLB Blackouts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brick71

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 26, 2005
The funniest thing just happened. I have the sports pack so I can watch the Cardinals on FSN Midwest and for the first time in 5 yrs. the Card v. Mets game is blacked out. I know my regional RSN according to my zip is Comcast Chicago. But this is a total joke. Any others have the same thing happen in Central Illinois?

Professional games are blacked out on RSN's that aren't your regional one. Sports Pack is pretty much useless unless you're into college sports (or poker).

Have you tried the MLBEI channel for the game? If your home team based on your zip is in Chicago then you should see tonight's game on channel 737.

The problem isn't with Chicago RSN. Its with FSN Midwest. I have had the sports pack every year for the last 5 and have never had a Cardinals game blacked out on FSN Midwest. I have MLBEI and that didn't work either.

I'm in the Jackson TN area and all Reds and Braves games are blacked out. That was the way it was even when I was with DISH. But on opening day the Cubs were playing the Reds and of course it was blacked out on EI. FRUSTRATING:mad: . I thought I would try something different. I went online and ordered the Sports Pak. Instantly the game was no longer blacked out! I found that very interesting. I wonder if I keep the Sports Pak (with EI) if I won't have blackout problems anymore? I guess time will tell. The Cubs and Reds are again playing tonight. We'll see.

Blackouts can change from year to year as the teams can claim new zip codes or not claim others and whatnot. My guess is that the Cards used to claim the zip code you are in as part of their home market and now they do not.

**Update**

Seems that FSNMW is trying to force DirecTV and DISH into providing their channel as an RSN in our market (currently comcast Chicago). And they think by blacking out games in this makrket will get them what they want. That is why the games are not available on MLBEI also.

I'm in the Jackson TN area and all Reds and Braves games are blacked out. That was the way it was even when I was with DISH. But on opening day the Cubs were playing the Reds and of course it was blacked out on EI. FRUSTRATING:mad: . I thought I would try something different. I went online and ordered the Sports Pak. Instantly the game was no longer blacked out! I found that very interesting. I wonder if I keep the Sports Pak (with EI) if I won't have blackout problems anymore? I guess time will tell. The Cubs and Reds are again playing tonight. We'll see.

I duplicated this reply from your other thread post:

If I read your post correctly; the Reds are considered one of your home teams? They have always been blacked out on MLB EI?

Which they should be because they are your home team and should be on either your local affiliate or your local RSN or RSN alternates. Which you should have been getting WITHOUT upgrading to the entire sports pack. Right?

Am I reading you correctly?

**Update**

Seems that FSNMW is trying to force DirecTV and DISH into providing their channel as an RSN in our market (currently comcast Chicago). And they think by blacking out games in this makrket will get them what they want. That is why the games are not available on MLBEI also.

Yep, just found this as well:

http://www.cable360.net/competition/dbs/22780.html

A dispute between Fox Sports Net and DirecTV and EchoStar could lead to FSN Midwest's Cardinals telecasts being blacked out this season in parts of Illinois, Iowa and Kentucky. FSN is holding out for the DBS providers' basic service package.

So the blame rests right on FSN Midwest for this one.

So more proof (that rarely if ever get out to the public) that its behind the scenes stuff created by the programming producer(s) being behind the issue(s) and not the DBS companies who really have nothing to gain by excluding viewers?

I duplicated this reply from your other thread post:

If I read your post correctly; the Reds are considered one of your home teams? They have always been blacked out on MLB EI?

Which they should be because they are your home team and should be on either your local affiliate or your local RSN or RSN alternates. Which you should have been getting WITHOUT upgrading to the entire sports pack. Right?

Am I reading you correctly?
I would think so but I was not getting any RSN's without the Sports Pak. I remember asking a CSR when I signed up for D* if I qualify for any "local" RSN's. They said I would only get FSN South. And with E* that's all I got. But according to D*s website, (and DISH's) the Reds and Braves are my "home teams". Therefore their games would be blacked out in EI. I don't follow either team. I follow the Cubs, Dodgers and Angels. I just know with E*, anytime the Cubs or Dodgers played the Reds or Braves, it was a blacked out game with EI. Like I said, all I know is when I purchased the Sports Pak, the Cubs vs Reds game was "unlocked" so to speak and I was able to see it (through EI and RSN). It makes no sense to me.

What is your zip code and the package you had BEFORE?

I used 38301 for Jackson, TN (based on the OLD packages):

With any TOTAL CHOICE package: FSN South (Ch. 630)
# Atlanta Braves (SD Only)
# Memphis Grizzlies (SD Only)
# Nashville Predators (SD Only)

With any TOTAL CHOICE Premier package or any TOTAL CHOICE package plus SPORTS Pack you add to the above
FSN Cincinnati (Ch. 638)
# Cincinnati Reds (SD Only)
# Columbus Crew (SD Only)

What is your zip code and the package you had BEFORE?
Without the Sports Pak, I get FSN South (630) but I do not get FSN Cincinatti (638). I always thought that I should get 638 but with both E* and D* I have not. And both companies told me that I could only get FSN South.

But what qualifying subscription pack do you have? If you do not have the premier, then you MUST add the sports pack to get any RSN other than FSN South; thus it seems to me like thats exactly the way DirecTV listed it on the website as well. So you ARE getting exactly what is described; right?

But what qualifying subscription pack do you have?

I had to go to DirecTV's website to find out. I have the Total Choice Plus. So I see with just the Total Choice package I would only get FSN South. They never told me if I got Premier that I would get Cincinnati as well. But I save by just getting the Sports Pak if I don't want all of the movie channels with Premier (I'm getting Starz free for a year).

Wanna know something funny (or not) - on cable here in Springfield, the Cards game on ESPN2 is NOT being blacked out, (like it probably should) AND is being shown on FSM. :D :D OTOH, ESPN2 IS blacked out on both D* & E*, along w/FSM.

Here's some information I found out regarding Fox Sports Midwest and the blackout.

I called the FSN-Midwest offices in St. Louis today to find out what what going on.

At the number, there is an automated message that says "some viewers in Central Illinois, Kentucky, and Iowa" may be blacked out from watching FSN-Midwest and/or Cardinal broadcasts.

They urge listeners to contact their satellite providers.

Also, they ask viewers afffected to leave their name, phone number, city, zip code, and satellite provider on their voice mail in order to get updated on the situation.

The number to call to get the update and also to leave your information on the voice mail is (314) 206-7000.

FYI, I am a Dish Network subscriber who is affected, but one of my best friends (who lives in the same Zip Code that I do) subscribes to DirectTV is also blacked out for Cardinal games on FSN-Midwest.

I'd urge that everyone affected by this issue to contact FSN-Midwest at the number provided above and to also contact your sat. company and raise holy heck with all of them!

It can't hurt I guess to contact Dish or DirecTV but they really can't do anything about if if FSN-Midwest is the ones telling them to black out certain areas. They just follow the rules given to them. FSN-MW obviously wants to deflect blame but it's right in their lap.

Good luck guys!

http://www.sj-r.com/sections/news/stories/111588.asp

Don't look for the Cardinals on satellite TV
Fox Sports Network in dispute with both companies

By NICK ROGERS
A&E EDITOR

Published Thursday, April 05, 2007

Local subscribers to DirecTV or Dish Network can no longer watch regular-season St. Louis Cardinals baseball on Fox Sports Network Midwest because of a dispute over the channel's availability.

Games previously had been made available to satellite subscribers in Springfield, Bloomington-Normal, Champaign-Urbana and Peoria. That content has been blacked out since the 2007 Major League Baseball season started earlier this week.

The blackout applies only to satellite subscribers. Those receiving FSN Midwest via cable systems aren't affected, and can continue to watch live games as scheduled.

FSN Midwest broadcasts a majority of regular-season games of the Cardinals, last season's World Series winner. The affected satellite viewers receive FSN Midwest only if they pay for a premium sports package in which it's included.

That's the source of the dispute. Insight, the cable TV provider in the affected cities, has acknowledged FSN Midwest as a local regional sports network and made it available on widely service tiers that are widely subscribed to. FSN Midwest wants the same designation from satellite services.

Insight offers both FSN Midwest and Comcast SportsNet Chicago (which airs Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox games) on its "Classic" level of service, the company's most popular. In the comparable channel package on both Dish Network and DirecTV, only CSN Chicago is recognized as a local regional sports network.

"We understand that there is a lot of interest in the Cardinals in Springfield and the entire area,"

Geoff Goldman, FSN Midwest's media relations manager, said Wednesday.

"We believe it's important to ensure that the whole community enjoys equal access to the Cardinals."

DirecTV's "Extra Innings" is a premium service offering out-of-market games nationwide, meaning New York Yankees fans in Illinois could see their team's games. However, Cardinals games are blacked out locally because Springfield is considered to be in the team's market area.

Goldman said the network is working with DirecTV and Dish Network to allow central Illinois satellite subscribers access to FSN Midwest equal to that of cable TV customers. Representatives from DirecTV and Dish Network said they couldn't comment on specific negotiations for programming.

"All I can say is we apologize for any inconvenience to the customer, and that we're working with all parties to find a reasonable solution," said Robert Mercer, DirecTV's director of public relations.

Stupid MLB and their STUPID Blockout ????

I live in Delaware and trying to watch Mets games. My location considered locally Philadelphia which we get local news channels from there and also I purchased all the regional sport packages from DTV and top of that I have the MLB extra inning with super fan package included and now METS home opener game is blocked out. Is anyone can explain this stupid rules of MLB or whomever runs this circus.
What a bunch of retarded morons.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)