MLB commissioner Selig appears to be "considering" reinstatement for Pete Rose

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My point wa the credibility of "reports" when the commission has an agenda. Do you think it was in MLB's best interest to say Rose had gambled on his team to lose?
If he had, yes it was. Look at some of the detail in the report and ask yourself if you were MLB: Would you rather have your official investigation reveal that or any one of his many gambling partners instead??

I've read the first two parts. My thoughts so far:

1. Rose was a bigger lowlife than I ever realized. He was delinquent in paying debts to multiplex people mutliple times.

2. Rose isn't very bright. His command of the English language is terrible. He also dealt with way too many people with his gambling. Between that and not paying his debts promptly, or even at all with some people, he had to know that someone was going to talk. Dowd even mentions that one of the bookies gave him the ID "14" to use on the phone, but Rose would still call and say "This is Pete."

3. The report is very impressive. I had never realized that so many people had been interviewed. I had always assumed that the investigation was primarily a paper trail. It is quite contrary to that. They used financial records to corroborate witness testimony.

4. Dowd apparently hadn't heard of WordPerfect for DOS. It's 1989, and you used a typewriter?!?

I can't wait to read the 2nd half!

Well, I've finished it. The third (and first half of the fourth) section is Rose's day-to-day gambling for the first half of the 1987 season. I skimmed through it, but he did bet on the Reds every game. In a strange way, it makes what he did "less bad." I made a comment earlier in the thread that he could have burned his bullpen in a game that he bet on and put his team at a disadvantage for the next game that he didn't bet on. Well, he bet for the Reds and bet every game, so that didn't happen.

I will never understand gambling addiction (I play nickel slots when I go to Vegas), but Pete definitely has it. I don't know what he earned as a manager, but when the Phillies signed him away from Cincy, he was the highest paid player in baseball with a 4 year, $3.2 million contract. It's amazing how rich people can find ways to go into debt.

I think less of Pete now that I ever have. I even sort of regret buying his earlier baseball cards. I still think that he should be in the HOF though. I've been buying old Pete Rose cards (except for his rookie card, which I'll never be able to afford) on the assumption that he'll eventually be in Cooperstown, and the value of his cards will skyrocket.

The report is marked confidential. Was it ever released, or is this a leak?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)