MLB Draft

anders5189

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
The MLB Draft is underway. Here are the top picks so far.

1. Washington - Steven Strasburg - P - San Diego St
2. Seattle - Dustin Ackley - OF - North Carolina
3. San Diego - Donovan Tate - OF - High School (MO)
4. Pittsburgh - Jorge Sanchez - C - Boston College
5. Baltimore - Matthew Hobgood - P - High School (CA)
6. San Francisco - Zach Wheeler - P - High School (GA)
7. Atlanta - Michael Minor - P - Vanderbilt
8. Cincinnati - Mike Leake - P - Arizona St
9. Detroit - Jocob Turner - P - High School (MO)
10. Washington - Drew Storen - P - Stanford
11. Colorado - Tyler Matzek - P - High School (CA)
12. Kansas City - Aaron Crow - P - No School
13. Oakland - Grant Green - SS - USC
14. Texas - Matthew Purke - P - High School (TX)
15. Cleveland - Alex White - P - North Carolina
16. Arizona - Robert Borchering - 3B - High School (FL)
17. Arizona - Allan Pollock - OF - Notre Dame
18. Florida - Chad James - P - High School (OK)
19. St. Louis - Shelby Miller - P - High School (TX)
20. Toronto - Chad Jenkins - P - Kennesaw St

Just to put things in perspective, here is the first round of the MLB draft from 2000. These players have had ample time to make their mark in the majors.

I recognize five names on this list, which means there are 25 who didn't make it, or didn't make it enough for me to know who they are. And only two of those five made a mark with the team that drafted them.

The MLB draft is the ultimate drafting crapshoot.

Florida.gif

Draft#:1
Adrian Gonzalez
Position:1B
Drafted From:Eastlake HS (Chula Vista,CA)

Minnesota.gif

Draft#:2
Adam Johnson
Position:p
Drafted From:Cal State Fullerton University

Chi.%20Cubs.gif

Draft#:3
Luis Montanez
Position:SS
Drafted From:Miami Coral Park HS (FL)

Kansas%20City.gif

Draft#:4
Mike Stodolka
Drafted From:Centennial HS (Corona,CA )

Montreal.gif

Draft#:5
Justin Wayne
Drafted From:Stanford University

Tampa.gif

Draft#:6
Rocco Baldelli
Position:OF
Drafted From:Bishop Hendricken HS (Warwick,RI)

Colorado.gif

Draft#:7
Matt Harrington
Drafted From:palmdale HS (CA)

Detroit.gif

Draft#:8
Matthew Wheatland
Drafted From:Rancho Bernardo HS (San Diego,CA)

San%20Diego.gif

Draft#:9
Mark Phillips
Drafted From:Hanover HS (PA)

California.gif

Draft#:10
Joe Torres
Drafted From:Gateway HS (Kissimmee,FL)

Brewers.gif

Draft#:11
Dave Kryznel
Drafted From:Green Valley HS (Henderson, NV)

Chicago.gif

Draft#:12
Joe Borchard
Drafted From:Stanford University

St.%20Louis.gif

Draft#:13
Shaun Boyd
Position:2B
Drafted From:Vista HS (Pala,CA )

Baltimore.gif

Draft#:14
Beau Hale
Drafted From:University of Texas

Philadelphia.gif

Draft#:15
Chase Utley
Position:2B
Drafted From:UCLA

N.Y.%20Mets.gif

Draft#:16
Billy Traber
Drafted From:Loyola Marymount University

L.A.%20Dodgers.gif

Draft#:17
Ben Diggins
Drafted From:University of Arizona

Toronto.gif

Draft#:18
Miguel Negron
Drafted From:Manuela Toro HS (Caguas,PR )

Pittsburgh.gif

Draft#:19
Sean Burnett
Drafted From:Wellington Community HS (FL)

California.gif

Draft#:20
Chris Bootcheck
Drafted From:Auburn University

Giants.gif

Draft#:21
Boof Bonser
Drafted From:Gibbs Senior HS (Pinellas Park,FL)

Red%20Sox.gif

Draft#:22
Phil Dumatrait
Drafted From:Bakersfield Junior College

Cincinnati.gif

Draft#:23
David Espinosa
Drafted From:Gulliver Prep HS (Miami,FL)

St.%20Louis.gif

Draft#:24
Blake Williams
Drafted From:Southwest Texas State University

Texas.gif

Draft#:25
Scott Heard
Position:C
Drafted From:Rancho Bernardo HS (San Diego,CA)

Cleveland.gif

Draft#:26
Corey Smith
Drafted From:piscataway HS (NJ )

Astros.gif

Draft#:27
Robert Stiehl
Drafted From:El Camino College

N.Y.%20Yankees.gif

Draft#:28
David Parrish
Position:C
Drafted From:University of Michigan

Braves.gif

Draft#:29
Adam Wainwright
Drafted From:Glynn Academy HS (Brunswick,GA)

Braves.gif

Draft#:30
Scott Thorman
Position:3B
Drafted From:preston HS (Cambridge,ONT)

Sandra

Just to put things in perspective, here is the first round of the MLB draft from 2000. These players have had ample time to make their mark in the majors.

I recognize five names on this list, which means there are 25 who didn't make it, or didn't make it enough for me to know who they are. And only two of those five made a mark with the team that drafted them.

The MLB draft is the ultimate drafting crapshoot.
Obviously that's true for any sport, but probably more so for baseball because of the fact that even top draftees end up being several year projects.

Will Strasburg become the first #1 overall pick pitcher to win a Cy Young?? So far, none of the 13 before him have....

Matt Wheatland (#8 Detroit) I believe is out of baseball. Bad arm injury while still in the minors, never really came back after arm surgery. He had outstanding arm before he hurt it, and the Tiger's were really high on him.

Matt Wheatland (#8 Detroit) I believe is out of baseball. Bad arm injury while still in the minors, never really came back after arm surgery. He had outstanding arm before he hurt it, and the Tiger's were really high on him.
The guy your Tigers drafted yesterday was lined up to play at UNC and Donovan Tate who was drafted by the Padres was supposed to play football at Carolina. Can we get some holdouts here? Don't sign anything! :D

The guy your Tigers drafted yesterday was lined up to play at UNC and Donovan Tate who was drafted by the Padres was supposed to play football at Carolina. Can we get some holdouts here? Don't sign anything! :D

I saw that in the paper today. He's not the first pitcher we drafted that was supposed to go to NC. I think Porcello also was set on NC before we drafted him.

I saw that in the paper today. He's not the first pitcher we drafted that was supposed to go to NC. I think Porcello also was set on NC before we drafted him.
That's the thing with MLB and college. College teams have to compete against major league teams in the recruiting process, but if a kid passes on the pros and signs with a college team then he isn't eligible for the draft for another 3 years. Thus no one and dones in college baseball. Maybe this is something the NBA should look into.

That's the thing with MLB and college. College teams have to compete against major league teams in the recruiting process, but if a kid passes on the pros and signs with a college team then he isn't eligible for the draft for another 3 years. Thus no one and dones in college baseball. Maybe this is something the NBA should look into.

I never liked the early entry to the NBA. It's hurt both the NBA and the NCAA.

15. Cleveland - Alex White - P - North Carolina

Alex White is 20 years old, 6'3", 200lbs and was 13-3 with a 2.85 ERA in 20 games (15 starts) for the Tar Heels during the 2008 season. He struck out 113 while walking 42 to go along with a 1.15 WHIP.

From MLB.com’s scouting report on White: “White was a top high school prospect in 2006, but went to UNC instead. He’s still one of the better arms now, though his performance in the spring has been a little uneven. He does have plus stuff with a fastball-slider combination along with the makings of two other pitches. He doesn’t always command his fastball that well, but that could be corrected with some mechanical tweaks. With his stuff and his track record, he’s likely to go pretty early on Draft Day.”

Many were projecting him to go as early as the 7th pick and are proclaiming this as a steal for the Indians. Hopefully he can get off to a good start with Mahoning Valley or Lake County this season and contribute soon for the Tribe!

Welcome to the team Big Boy!!!

alex-white-2-300x168.jpg

Alex White is 20 years old, 6'3", 200lbs and was 13-3 with a 2.85 ERA in 20 games (15 starts) for the Tar Heels during the 2008 season. He struck out 113 while walking 42 to go along with a 1.15 WHIP.

From MLB.com’s scouting report on White: “White was a top high school prospect in 2006, but went to UNC instead. He’s still one of the better arms now, though his performance in the spring has been a little uneven. He does have plus stuff with a fastball-slider combination along with the makings of two other pitches. He doesn’t always command his fastball that well, but that could be corrected with some mechanical tweaks. With his stuff and his track record, he’s likely to go pretty early on Draft Day.”

Many were projecting him to go as early as the 7th pick and are proclaiming this as a steal for the Indians. Hopefully he can get off to a good start with Mahoning Valley or Lake County this season and contribute soon for the Tribe!

Welcome to the team Big Boy!!!

alex-white-2-300x168.jpg
White will be in action at the CWS. He probably will start Sunday against Arizona St. White pitched 8.1 innings with 12 K's in his last start in the Super Regional. Hopefully he's got another one like that in him.

What's the earliest possible debut for any of these players?

(Is there a rule on when these players can start?)
I think they have a dealine of mid August to sign a contract, but they can play immediately once they sign. There's talk that the Nationals will call Strasburg up to the big leagues right away. Most guys though are looking at at least a couple of years in the minors before they get called up.

There's talk that the Nationals will call Strasburg up to the big leagues right away. Most guys though are looking at at least a couple of years in the minors before they get called up.

I wouldn't immediately throw him from the frying pan into the fire.

I'm sure there are people who remember the ballad of David Clyde.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)