2009 US Open @ Bethpage-Black

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
When: June 15th- June 21st. This tournament will mark the 2nd Major of the 2009 PGA season.

The Course: Bethpage State Park- Black Course in Farmingdale, NY.

TV: DirecTV will offer a US Open Mix Channel in addition to the national broadcast on NBC and ESPN. For more info on the Mix Channel, see here: DIRECTV: Sports : Golf : U.S. Open Golf : Overview

The Players: Here's a guide to the Round 1 Groupings & Tee Times: The Official Site of the U.S. Open Championship Conducted By The USGA

History: Last year's US Open at Torrey Pines was a memorable one. One that I honestly didn't think could've been topped for quite some time. Last year, Tiger Woods won his 14th career Major in a sudden-death playoff, while sustaining a torn ACL and multiple leg fractures in stunning fashion against gigantic underdog and all around good-guy, Rocco Mediate. Well folks, I'm here to say that 2009 has the makings to top the drama of last year!

Why Watch: Tiger Woods is the defending Champion. He is a few months removed from rehabing and surgeriers to repair his knee. Tiger is also fresh off a stunning Day 4 come-from-behind victory at The Memorial Tournament in Dublin, OH.

With that said, Tiger will NOT be the sentimental favorite this year. Instead, the overwhelming crowd favorite will be "Lefty", aka Phil Mickelson. For those of you who haven't heard, Phil's wife, Amy, was diagnosed with breast cancer. After a few weeks off, he now has his sights set on a first U.S. Open title, one that would be as emotionally charged as anything we've witnessed on a golf course in a long time. Phil has finished 2nd place in a US Open 4 times.

By entering this tournament, Phil is just looking for an emotional break. One where he can focus his thoughts on something else and not worry about the state of his wife for a few short hours.

Mickelson admitted that he's having a tough time in a recent interview:

"I've never been this emotional, where if I'm driving alone or what have you, I'll just start crying," he said last week at the St. Jude Classic, his eyes tinged with streaks of pink, his voice no longer steady and sure.

"We're scared, yeah," he said. "I think a lot of it is the unknown."
Then on playing the US Open...
"I'm looking forward to the four to five hours ... where I'll be able to focus on something else. "
Amy Mickelson faces a year of treatment and surgery in July. The family plans on taking a tropical vacation after the US Open and before the surgery. Here's to hoping the family gets a head start on their celebration of life.

GO LEFTY! YOU'VE GOT THE SENTIMENTAL WORLD BEHIND YOU BUDDY!!!!

Bethpage may be the "nastiest" Open course in the rotation. Who ever keeps it in the fairway off the tee, will have the best chance of winning this torture test.

Prediction - Only 3 guys will finish at par or under.

Bethpage may be the "nastiest" Open course in the rotation. Who ever keeps it in the fairway off the tee, will have the best chance of winning this torture test.

Prediction - Only 3 guys will finish at par or under.

One of the only golf courses that comes with a warning label...

"WARNING: The Black Course Is An Extremely Difficult Course Which We Recommend For Highly Skilled Golfers"

pga_g_bethpage1_sw_268x209.jpg

Weather Forecast: Early weather forecasts show a possibility of thunderstorms at Bethpage both early in the week and during each of the first three rounds. On a course already renowned for its length, wet conditions will only make things play even longer.

If weather comes into play, I'd think PAR would be a good score on this course.

I love the US Open because of how challenging it is. While the Masters gets lots of hype for the tradition and the azaleas, the pros often tear up Augusta like it's the Buick Open. Nobody's gonna card a -10 at the US Open. This is a true survival test. The one tournament where world class golfers suddenly look like amateurs with a 20 handicap. :D

Par for the Weekend... A Winning Score?

A bit of recent history.......

The first time the US Open was held at Bethpage was 7 years ago in 2002.

Only one player -- his name is Tiger Woods -- finished in the red that week, coming in at 3-under 277 on the par-70 venue, followed by second-place finisher Phil Mickelson at even par.

There's no reason to think scoring conditions will be any easier this time around either. Especially if we see rain as the forecast is calling for.

The US Open has long been known as one of the most challenging tournaments of the year. Hell, even last year at Torrey Pines, a whopping two total players -- Woods and Rocco Mediate -- broke par for the week.

The USGA committee appears to stay intent on adhering to the famous line stated by former USGA president Sandy Tatum some 35 years ago....
"Our objective is not to humiliate the best players in the world," he said. "It's to identify them."
I love it! Bring it on! I can't wait till Thursday!!!

Pinehurst to Host 2014 US Open for Men & Woman Double Header!

Just announced...

The USGA said Monday the U.S. Open and U.S. Women's Open will be held over consecutive weeks in 2014 at Pinehurst No. 2, the first time in golf that women have a chance to share the stage with the men.

The U.S. Open already was scheduled to return to Pinehurst in 2014 for the third time in 15 years. The Women's Open has been held three times at nearby Pine Needles since 1996, but never at the fabled No. 2 course at Pinehurst.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=4260214"]Pinehurst to host 2014 U.S. Open doubleheader - ESPN[/ame]

Today marks the last day of Practice Round before the start of the Tourney!

Analysts are already saying that if Tiger can keep the ball in the fairway like he did at the Memorial, it's his Tournament to lose. Sure this is a extremely long course and it's easy to assume that the long hitters will have the advantage, but typically the long hitters don't consistently keep it in the fairway, especially for the majority of the 280 holes. I like a balanced game to win. Of course Tiger is the favorite, but besides him I like Padgaig Harrington and Kenny Perry. Phil Mickelson, unfortunately I think has too much on his mind to stay focused to win such a trying tournament although I'll be pulling for him too.

Today marks the last day of Practice Round before the start of the Tourney!

Analysts are already saying that if Tiger can keep the ball in the fairway like he did at the Memorial, it's his Tournament to lose. Sure this is a extremely long course and it's easy to assume that the long hitters will have the advantage, but typically the long hitters don't consistently keep it in the fairway, especially for the majority of the 280 holes. I like a balanced game to win. Of course Tiger is the favorite, but besides him I like Padgaig Harrington and Kenny Perry. Phil Mickelson, unfortunately I think has too much on his mind to stay focused to win such a trying tournament although I'll be pulling for him too.

Hmmm they change the length of the tournament this year? I believe you meant 72 holes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts