MLB EXTRA INNINGS CH. 720 NOW ONLY AVAILABLE TO HD CUSTOMERS

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

KCK_Halo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
HI DTV people I need help please...

I have been a DTV customer ever since MLB Extra Innings was 1st offered. One of my favorite channels has been been 720 which allowed me to view and choose from 8 games simultaneously on one screen. Now for the 1st time I have been advised (after many long, hair-pulling phone calls) that Ch. 720 is only available to those who have HD receivers. (I have SD and am happy with it). I have called and threatened to cancel my service but offered to still be a DTV customer if they would offer me a free HD upgrade without locking me in to an 2 year extension. After all, this change has nothing to do with anything I have done. DTW is changing it's service (without advising it's customers, BTW)...so why should a long-time non-complaining customer have to suffer the consequences?

Anybody ahve any ideas what (if anything) I can do?

Many thanks for listening....

That's not cool on DirecTV's part. Sorry to hear.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have called and threatened to cancel my service but offered to still be a DTV customer if they would offer me a free HD upgrade without locking me in to an 2 year extension.
Any upgrade requires a 2 year agreement....you may get the equipment for free but you still would have a contract

Any upgrade requires a 2 year agreement....you may get the equipment for free but you still would have a contract

But it is not due to anything I did. It is their change of service without even having the decency to advise me re: it. It is just good common decency and customer service. They seem to be slipping again in that department.

I am seriously considering going back to TW Cable after the season is over.

But it is not due to anything I did.
doesnt matter. The ONLY time I've seen them upgrade with no contract extension is when Directv took some locals that were in SD only on 72.5 and moved them to 99 & 103 which requires MPEG4 equipment. Those folks did get upgrades because locals are included in plans

doesnt matter. The ONLY time I've seen them upgrade with no contract extension is when Directv took some locals that were in SD only on 72.5 and moved them to 99 & 103 which requires MPEG4 equipment. Those folks did get upgrades because locals are included in plans

Thats what I was referring to, think I quoted the wrong instance though, thanks Ice !

If you've been a customer for the that long and this channel is that important to you, I'd get on the phone with retention and make the best deal possible for an HD upgrade and accept the two year agreement. Of course, it's your decision but dumping DTV and still not having that channel doesn't seem to be a great outcome, either.

Besides, at some point you're going to buy a new TV and it will be HD.

At some point, hopefully soon (10 years), everything will only be available in HD.

Not sure whether they will activate it or not, but you could try buying a customer owned hd box off ebay, just make sure to verify your rid. Now onto the real problem, if the channel was converted to mpg4 you need hd equipment, no way around that, this will require a dish upgrade and possibly some wiring changes depending on how old your current setup is. You would need to hire a local installer or retailer to do this work then hope directv will activate the owned box since their system will say you have an sd dish. Perhaps a retailer can negate this. Good luck

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Pretty sure it would be MPEG4. They just dropped 720 and changed 720-1 to 720. I think you'll start seeing this with more and more premium services, as a larger percentage customer that pay for extra services (sports especially) have HD. Plus, it is a way for Directv to encourage upgrades and commitments.

Back to the OP, if you are a long time customer take the free upgrade and ask them to waive the HD fee with autopay. The 2 years likely wouldn't be a big deal if you've enjoyed the service for years. Even on an SD tv, you will get a better picture with the HD. DirecTV's SD is VERY compressed compared to other providers.

Umm.. Pretty sure you'd need the HD services also to get channel 720. The offer Ice mentioned still happens, but in that case they only offer HD locals.. You don't get any other HD channels unless you add the HD services (It's about $10 a month I think..)

Umm.. Pretty sure you'd need the HD services also to get channel 720. The offer Ice mentioned still happens, but in that case they only offer HD locals.. You don't get any other HD channels unless you add the HD services (It's about $10 a month I think..)

That is the point! This is the first year that HD is required for 720. DTV never mentioned it to we SD subscribers.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Please reply by conversation.