Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
I'm comparing MLB Extra innings with MLB.TV, and there really isn’t much of a difference other than price. MLB.TV is way cheaper. It's not like I'm not going to get full HD streaming as streaming has become a standard. I'm trying to figure out what makes Extra Innings worth the extra 70 bucks.

It works all the time, more reliable generally better quality video. I have relatively good speed (~12 Mbps) and I was never able to get the 60fps last year for the "free game of the day" on Mlb.tv. it was really bad a couple of years ago when there was heavy traffic. But if you've got super fast internet speed and they are more reliable, there's no reason to get it. I don't think there is a commercial option for mlbtv so bars and restaurants have to use EI so there's one thing I guess.

Xtra innings gives you both, MLB.TV only streaming. Xtra innings allows you to record a game or great play etc.. MLB.TV is quite alot less of course.

Xtra innings allows you to record a game or great play etc.
Yes, this is an advantage, if that's what you're into. But MLB.TV allows you to start a game telecast from scratch if you're not there to watch it live.

For me, I can't tell the difference between MLB.TV picture quality and DirecTV feed. PQ has improved on an order of magnitude since being introduced.

Reactions: Tampa8
I'm comparing MLB Extra innings with MLB.TV, and there really isn’t much of a difference other than price. MLB.TV is way cheaper. It's not like I'm not going to get full HD streaming as streaming has become a standard. I'm trying to figure out what makes Extra Innings worth the extra 70 bucks.
No need for an Internet connection..which averages..70 bucks

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

No need for an Internet connection..which averages..70 bucks

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

I would assume that most people who frequent an internet forum already have an internet connection.

Anyways, I have used MLB.tv for probably 7 or 8 years now. I have never used Extra Innings. My TV provider didn't offer it when I first signed up for MLB.tv and after using the internet only version for several years I never felt the need to pay more to get it from a TV provider.The providers are in a better situation than they used to be now that they include MLB.tv with Extra Innings because the streaming version actually comes with more feeds and features.

The days of streaming video being lower quality than what you get from a TV provider are long gone as long as you have a fast enough internet connection. For many streaming services the video is offered at a higher bitrate than what you can get from a TV provider so there is less compression and the picture actually looks better.

Yea I'm on Gigabit so speed is not an issue. For me I am really likeing how you can overlay the radio announcer’s audio over the game video. This is really cool. Better commentary on the radio side. Other than the fact that you get MLB.TV with MLB extra innings, there is no real advantage.

I wonder if it's the same for other sports leagues, NHL and NBA.

Yea I'm on Gigabit so speed is not an issue. For me I am really likeing how you can overlay the radio announcer’s audio over the game video. This is really cool. Better commentary on the radio side. Other than the fact that you get MLB.TV with MLB extra innings, there is no real advantage.

I only care enough to subscribe to MLB.tv but I think I remember reading a few years ago that the NHL, NBA, WWE, and lots of other streaming services use MLB Advanced Media to handle their live streaming services. My guess is that the experience is very similar since they are using the same underlying technology.

I just wish more devices supported the Radio overlay feature! That has to be the best feature IMO aside from the ability to watch games anywhere/anytime you want

Reactions: goaliebob99
It is the same for the NHL -- they're using the MLB engine and architecture. The picture is crystal clear, and I appreciate being able to watch the Canadian telecasts. The NBA, not so much. Their picture is still inferior, at least on my Roku box.

I would assume that most people who frequent an internet forum already have an internet connection.

Anyways, I have used MLB.tv for probably 7 or 8 years now. I have never used Extra Innings. My TV provider didn't offer it when I first signed up for MLB.tv and after using the internet only version for several years I never felt the need to pay more to get it from a TV provider.The providers are in a better situation than they used to be now that they include MLB.tv with Extra Innings because the streaming version actually comes with more feeds and features.

The days of streaming video being lower quality than what you get from a TV provider are long gone as long as you have a fast enough internet connection. For many streaming services the video is offered at a higher bitrate than what you can get from a TV provider so there is less compression and the picture actually looks better.
I have 150 meg download speed and couldn't agree more..its kinda obvious traditional cable and satellite is on its way out..too expensive and forced to watch what channels they want to carry ...rant off..back on topic

My wife and I have different favorite teams. The ability to watch multiple games at the same time on 720 and pick which game to listen to is a nice perk. MLB.TV limits you to 1 game at a time.

My wife and I have different favorite teams. The ability to watch multiple games at the same time on 720 and pick which game to listen to is a nice perk. MLB.TV limits you to 1 game at a time.

No it doesn't. I often have one game on my TV and a different game on my iPad at the same time. I also let my dad use my account at his house and I have never gotten a conflict even when I know we have 3 games streaming at the same time on two separate networks.

If you are talking about watching more than one game on the TV from a single device I can see the complaint. The PC version does allow you to watch 4 games at once and switch the audio to any of them at any time. I know at least the Xbox version had split screen in past years but most devices don't.

No it doesn't. I often have one game on my TV and a different game on my iPad at the same time. I also let my dad use my account at his house and I have never gotten a conflict even when I know we have 3 games streaming at the same time on two separate networks.

If you are talking about watching more than one game on the TV from a single device I can see the complaint. The PC version does allow you to watch 4 games at once and switch the audio to any of them at any time. I know at least the Xbox version had split screen in past years but most devices don't.
I am talking about watching only one thing, my TV. I can do the same thing if I want to have 3 or 4 devises on my bar in front of me. Extra Innings offers the opportunity to do it on Channel 720, Similar to Channel 702 on Sunday Ticket. You are comparing apples to oranges.

I've been a subscriber to both since their inception. There are a number of value-add components of MLB EI that you don't get with MLB.TV

MLB EI provides you with access to the Strike Zone channel on Directv. This is the MLB equivalent to the NFL Red Zone channel available Tuesday and Friday nights on channel 719. For whatever reason they hardly market or promote this channel.. I find it to be a lot of fun on a night where I can't decide which game to land on.

The obvious mosaic display which shows up to 8 games at once and allows you to arrow over each game for audio. Again- for those of us with multi-display setups these channels are invaluable. The MLB.tv mosaic view equivalent is only available on PC and only allows 4 games at once.

MLB.tv behaves very nicely on AppleTV4 I have no complaints and you can view up to 2 games at once side by side. It also works exceptionally well on iOS devices. The interface on ATV is very nice and smooth.

Bottom line, if you're a Directv sub and have TVs wired for it all over your home, MLB EI is a no brainer + you get MLB.tv for free anyway. Only catch is you don't get it for free during March spring training.

Dude, you can literally get MLB.TV for $5 bucks at Slickdeals....T-Mobile were giving out the codes for free....
https://slickdeals.net/f/9829299-t-mobile-customers-mlb-tv-premium-mlb-com-at-bat-premium-free

I got it the other day, bought the code and had the guy setup the account for me since I don't have T-Mobile, once it was setup I changed the password and its good to go.
I can watch it on Tablet or you could watch it on your phone or computer...or any streaming devices that offer MLB app.
The picture quality is damn good too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts