MLB ...how un-American!

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
I LOVE the game of baseball with all my heart. To me, no other game requires more specific skills than the game of baseball.

But yesterday, MLB, ORDERED, that all players MUST wear the uniform hat during the Mets/Cubs game on Sunday night. Players from the METS wanted to wear a cap that showed support for firefighters that were lost during that very tragic day. But good ole MLB said no AND was planning to fine any player "heavily" if they did. Whether it came MLB VP Joe Torre(I doubt it)...or Bud Selig(more than likely), it was a very classless move by MLB.

...ONE DAY was not gonna kill the MLB...sad..and they wonder why it is no longer "America's past time"

By Matt Snyder

The New York Mets will host the Chicago Cubs for the Sunday night game in New York on the 10-year anniversary of 9/11. In commemoration of so many brave souls who either gave their lives or put their lives on the line to try and save other Americans, the Mets have an assortment of NYPD, FDNY and PAPD (that one is Port Authority PD) hats to honor the service men and women. They were going to wear them during the game, which will be seen on ESPN.

Instead, Major League Baseball intervened. The Mets released the following statement:

“MLB set a league-wide policy as it related to caps and uniforms for September 11 and we followed the guidelines.”

There was reportedly some discussion by the Mets players to just ignore the mandate and wear the hats anyway, but they ended up calling off the idea.

"As much as we would like to as a team," player representative Josh Thole said (Ledger_NYMets on Twitter). "MLB is coming down really hard on it."

I don't think there's really much more to say than it's too bad that the MLB can't make an exception here -- especially considering all those stars and stripes hats teams wear on the 4th of July and Memorial Day.

UPDATE: The decision was apparently made by MLB Vice President Joe Torre, who was the Yankees manager on 9/11. He said he just wanted teams to be "consistent" and in this situation, "certainly it's not a lack of respect." (David Lennon via Twitter)

MLB prevents Mets from wearing 9/11 hats - CBSSports.com

Although I would've let them wear the caps, why even make an issue out of this? In all, I thought MLB did a nice job of commemorating 9/11 throughout the league. I hardly think this is justification to call the league classless.

Besides, conflict over asinine things are what caused 9/11. This seems so trivial. Just let it go IMHO.

Although I would've let them wear the caps, why even make an issue out of this? In all, I thought MLB did a nice job of commemorating 9/11 throughout the league. I hardly think this is justification to call the league classless.

Besides, conflict over asinine things are what caused 9/11. This seems so trivial. Just let it go IMHO.

One night was not going to kill MLB....it's not like they were asking to do it for a week. One night...

Than if the Mets did it than why not the Yankees, the senators, the orioles and the pirates? I don't see that it's a big deal either way maybe they should wear a pin in their hat or uniform.

Wow...Joe Torre is Un-American!!! Whooda thunk it.

Sandra
I know he isn't that good of a manager. The guy could not manage personalities and had no clue on how to manage a pitching staff. It is no coincidence that Kershaw finally becomes an ACE after Torre leaves. If Torre was still managing the Dodgers, Kershaw's name would not even be mentioned in the Cy Young race as Torre would never let him complete games nor pitch out of trouble.

I would bet that Kemp would not be putting up the same numbers either and Ethier would be allowed to poison the rest of the team

As for the topic of the thread. It would have been nice if MLB allowed the players to wear these commemorative hats, but I do not think it is as big of a deal as the OP is making it out to be

I know he isn't that good of a manager. The guy could not manage personalities and had no clue on how to manage a pitching staff. It is no coincidence that Kershaw finally becomes an ACE after Torre leaves. If Torre was still managing the Dodgers, Kershaw's name would not even be mentioned in the Cy Young race as Torre would never let him complete games nor pitch out of trouble.

I would bet that Kemp would not be putting up the same numbers either and Ethier would be allowed to poison the rest of the team

As for the topic of the thread. It would have been nice if MLB allowed the players to wear these commemorative hats, but I do not think it is as big of a deal as the OP is making it out to be

I agree with the last paragraph.

Sandra

Not a big deal at all either way.

Sent from a galaxy far far away.

Some here are saying the Mets should have gone ahead with their plans anyway, and absorbed the fine from MLB...

Sandra

Some here are saying the Mets should have gone ahead with their plans anyway, and absorbed the fine from MLB...

Sandra

The Mets can barely afford to play their players, let alone pay any fines.

The Mets were allowed to wear them during the first game played after the attacks back in 2001, why not on the 10th anniversary??

ny_g_mets01jr_576.jpg

televisionarchives said:
I agree with MLB on this . I had no problem with it. MLB didn't need it.

But it would have been a great gesture by MLB that for ONE DAY, give the players that right to show their support throughout the game. I mean they allow some teams not wear the team colors on some days, like the Padres wear camouflage jerseys for a day.....they allow some teams wear 'stars and stripes' themed hats for July 4th for some teams... But the threaten to fine them....by "coming down really hard" on them....? Seriously?!

I went to a Dodgers/Astros game for the 4th of July 2008. Joe Torre was managing the Dodgers. The Astros had a kid who had lost an arm and a leg in Afghanistan rescuing another soldier throw out the first pitch. As he was leaving the field, Joe Torre stopped him. He talked to him for about five minutes. It was long enough that it held up the game. Torre shook his hand and gave him a small sheet of paper before he left. I will never forget that because that kid was more important at that moment to Torre than the upcoming game. I have also wondered what was on that paper.

I went to a Dodgers/Astros game for the 4th of July 2008. Joe Torre was managing the Dodgers. The Astros had a kid who had lost an arm and a leg in Afghanistan rescuing another soldier throw out the first pitch. As he was leaving the field, Joe Torre stopped him. He talked to him for about five minutes. It was long enough that it held up the game. Torre shook his hand and gave him a small sheet of paper before he left. I will never forget that because that kid was more important at that moment to Torre than the upcoming game. I have also wondered what was on that paper.

Yeah, when you start calling Joe Torre, classless, the truth is you don't know a thing about the actual man.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)