MLB ...how un-American!

SandraC said:
Yeah, when you start calling Joe Torre, classless, the truth is you don't know a thing about the actual man.

Sandra

I do not know if this was directed at me, but in my opening post, I had stated that I doubted this order came from Joe Torre and that it more than likely came from Selig.

Just saying...

SandraC said:
That's a slippery slope. If teams, or even individual players, start wearing whatever they want as long as they're willing to pay fines...that could get out of hand quickly.

Sandra

It is...but this was not some defiante 'stick your middle finger at the man' moment... It was not handled well at all by MLB...especially after the examples Cosmo and myself gave.

It is...but this was not some defiante 'stick your middle finger at the man' moment... It was not handled well at all by MLB...especially after the examples Cosmo and myself gave.

The article posted in the OP specifically states the decision was made by Joe Torre.

Sandra

If you start letting teams/players wear whatever they want and pay a fine, you could wind up with some 'stick your middle finger at the man' moments. THAT'S what makes it such a slippery slope.

Sandra

televisionarchives said:
I'm more offended by the word Anniversary when it comes to 9/11 then this.

The word "anniversary" can either mean to celebrate OR commemorate....and commemorate means to honor...

Nothing wrong with the word IMHO.

SandraC said:
If you start letting teams/players wear whatever they want and pay a fine, you could wind up with some 'stick your middle finger at the man' moments. THAT'S what makes it such a slippery slope.

Sandra

When they did it 10 years ago, there was no major defiant moments after that when it came to unis. Do think there would be?

When they did it 10 years ago, there was no major defiant moments after that when it came to unis. Do think there would be?

Ten years ago it was endorsed by MLB...not talking about something that's endorsed by MLB. I'm talking about teams/players doing things that are not endorsed by MLB, and paying the fine instead.

Sandra

So why would MLB make such a decision when even the usually-draconian NFL relaxed its rules when it came to uniform tributes on the 10th anniversary of 9/11?

ESPN's Buster Olney reported that MLB felt the hats were "sacrosanct," which may explain why Torre — who was as close to 9/11 as any other sports figure and should be able to recognize the tribute — said what he did. I also got the sense that baseball was looking to be as respectful as they could this weekend and not appear that they were trying to put a commercial spin on the tragic milestone.

This ruling, however, just doesn't make sense. The first responders and their families did not raise any issues when the Mets wore the caps in 2001 and wearing them on 2011 would have been a nice way to bookend what was a very memorable part of baseball's role in the Sept. 11 healing process.

Also, if MLB was worried about keeping control of the uniform tributes, they could have ruled that only the two New York teams and the Washington Nationals had the choice to wear organization-specific caps.

But in nixing the Mets' plans to honor our courageous and our brave, baseball prevented the Mets, their fans and the city of New York from paying the highest form of tribute to those brave men and women while re-enacting one of the sport's most admirable moments. Joe Torre and his crew should have known better.

Mets’ plans to wear first responder caps thwarted by MLB - Big League Stew - MLB Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Well... I tell ya what, since you are going THAT route...we may not know what Torre and Selig discussed behind closed doors...but he is now one of Selig's boyz... so he is guilty by association.

Well on the internets people can speculate all they like. Joe Torre was brave enough to attach his name to his decision.

Sandra

Well on the internets people can speculate all they like. Joe Torre was brave enough to attach his name to his decision.

Sandra

Brave enough?!! You do not think he was more or less told to state this on behalf of MLB? IF he would have said that though "he disagree/disappointed with MLB, the stance is....." Now THAT would have been brave because he was invoking his feelings on a decision made by the boss. What he did was 'tow the company line' ...

Torre was sent as the mouth piece IMHO.

Brave enough?!! You do not think he was more or less told to state this on behalf of MLB? IF he would have said that though "he disagree/disappointed with MLB, the stance is....." Now THAT would have been brave because he was invoking his feelings on a decision made by the boss. What he did was 'tow the company line' ...

Torre was sent as the mouth piece IMHO.

LOL OK thank you for your opinion and speculation! Of course, it's also possible Torre was just telling the truth, that it was his decision.

Your mileage may vary... ;)

Sandra

I don't understand why MLB had a tough time with this. I went to the Giants/Dodgers game on Saturday and the team I root for didn't have the traditional "Giants" or "San Francisco" across the chest...for this one "special" day, they were the "Gigantes". I've seen the men wear pink for breast cancer, the camoflauge gear worn by the Pads every Sunday and by some teams on random occasions, the DBacks wore 5 year old "throw back" jerseys and on the list could go. Either stand by your laurels and make everyone wear a "Uniform" for 162 games or suffer the consequenses when one team wants to do something special for their community.

mikew said:
I don't understand why MLB had a tough time with this. I went to the Giants/Dodgers game on Saturday and the team I root for didn't have the traditional "Giants" or "San Francisco" across the chest...for this one "special" day, they were the "Gigantes". I've seen the men wear pink for breast cancer, the camoflauge gear worn by the Pads every Sunday and by some teams on random occasions, the DBacks wore 5 year old "throw back" jerseys and on the list could go. Either stand by your laurels and make everyone wear a "Uniform" for 162 games or suffer the consequenses when one team wants to do something special for their community.

I'm thinking this has more to do with these jersey changes being cleared with MLB ahead of time, while the Mets' request was made after MLB had decided how to commemorate 9/11 league wide. The impression I'm left with is that they did not want to give any one team a way to show respect that was not given to all the teams.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts