MLB network

Bob, you're being an idiot. And since you insulted someone's intelligence earlier in the thread, I have no problem calling you out on this.

So your stance is that Dish should provide the HD version of SD channels if HD is available for that channel, regardless of whether Dish has an agreement that allows them to broadcast the channel in HD?

Repeat after me: lawsuits! And Dish would lose each and every one caused by your theory of how things should be done.

Your theory would be great if it applied to retransmission disputes, so that consumers couldn't be held hostage and suddenly lose a channel to improve one side's negotiating position. But, that's not how the law is currently set up and is frankly a ridiculous demand for you to put on Dish's HD offerings without an enabling change in the law first.

As for your theory about people paying for HD should get all the possible HD in their packages because they're paying for HD ignores the fact that Dish has overhead costs in providing HD channels apart from any costs that the content owners try to foist on them in addition to the SD channel price. Uplinks and backhaul and a ton of transponder space that has to be maintained by sending costly sats into orbit (or leasing sat space).

Ever consider that the $10 HD fee goes to mitigate all those costs rather than covering any HD fees you imagine Dish is passing on to the consumers that originate with the content producers? And that by caving to Disney and paying twice for content the costs will just skyrocket for consumers as all providers are forced into double paying for the same content by the content owners.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Prior to HD were there no overhead costs at all? Did Charlie magically will an entire fleet of satellites in the sky and not pay for them? Did he wish an two uplink facilitys into reality? The simple fact is overhead is automatically factored into the base price of any package you purchase. That is with every provider. Its the same overhead no matter what the signal is. The only difference between a SD signal and an HD signal is resolution and how many bits are in the signal. That overhead was there regardless of what fees charlie chooses to pass on to the sub. Dish has lawsuits anyhow.... They are not going away! Why? because dish choses to play games with programming providers. They have done it with just about every provider out there then they play the magical tune that they are saving you money! When in reality subs have lost programming and their prices haven't gone down to reflect the loss programming.

Yes my stance is that if you pay an HD fee, your entitled to EVERY channel that is available in HD. Its like paying for a Buffett and being told you can't eat the macaroni and cheese, you can eat only the Chicken and Slaw. Or Its like ordering a Big mac with large fries, and getting charged full price for the large fry but only getting a small fry instead. Even though the distributor has large frys available, the store has the capability to give you a large fry, but they won't give you the large fry but they will charge you openly for it! Would you want to pay for the large fry and only get the small one? That's what's happening now.

Thanks for the personal insult, it's a shame that you had to resort to it now that you've found some energy. Your posts in this thread are clearly off-topic and trolling.

Look at my avatar!! My version has been in place a lot longer than yours. I've been very vocal about Dish's sports shortcomings, but I do it in appropriate threads. I don't attempt to overtake an informational thread about MLB Network and pollute it with anti-Dish rants.

This has to be one of the funniest posts you've made here. Thanks for the laugh!!

off-topic.

No I don't, the topic morphed into that, What I was doing was an APPLES to APPLES comparison of how one provider does it a lot better than the other, and how there are NONE, ZILCH, ZERO, NADA, complaints from any other provider whom has MLB network and blackouts. While yes the thread started out informal it quickly turned into a bitch fest about how subs are being blacked out of games without an alternative feed. So are you going to blame me for dish not launching the alt feed and costumers bitching? Or is every costumer who comes to this thread a troll to (according to you they are) because what your saying is that they can't come and complain. Anyone whom doesnt worship dish isn't welcomed! Sounds a bit like the other forum and the D* side ehhhh! The trend is the complaints come from dish subs and I just put my observations in the pot. You know why dish subs have been complaining, let me give you a clue, its because dish did not do it right! If dish did it right there wouldn't be any complaints at all! D* does things right (majority of the time), and I don't complain there! The insults started with you in post 429 and continued in post 436. IF you can't take the heat then get out of the kitchen as I will fire back! Just because I'm a Directv sub doesn't disqualify me from being able to actively talk about dish and satellite technology as well as contrasting and comparing how things are done. In your eyes if one is a D* sub, it means automatic troll or if anyone comes to complain about what dish isn't doing right they are a troll also no matter what provider they have. I'll tell you what Ill keep it civilized as long as you do the same. Agreed?

you can ask DIrectv about that too.....same rules. You have to follow the special requirements

Yes, and the laws do need to be changed. D* is guilty of this one as well, but given the bandwidth restrictions D* is having right now, they are asleep at the wheel with their satellite launches. This is really beginning to feel like a setup for a merger between the two companies, if they merged the networks together (D* and E*) and did a one dish combo (99,101,103,110,119,129) They would have all of the bandwidth in the world to cover everything. They could successfully argue and win it in my opinion that the competition between IPTV, Cable, and digital video services like netflix, is enough competition to allow a merger. They could use the selling point that this would allow them to merge the entire satellite fleets that both companies owns allowing them to better coverage not only with spots (100 percent FULL HD carriage and SD carriage of every local station) as well as full carriage of every cable channel in HD and SD. By combining delivery systems they could argue saves overhead money and gives the costumer better quality signals along with more options in programming. The way dish is loosing subs, they could switch dish subs over to D* proprietary system at a lower cost. I think the market is right for them to do it.

Anyhow back to MLB............

I'm confused suddenly. I've had zero problems with MLBN and have been watching it all the time:) Suddenly, tonight, the Phillies-Brewers game is blacked out here in eastern MI. Is that due to the MLB's crazy regional blackout stupidity? First game I've seen blacked out, and it makes zero sense.
It is not blacked our due to MLB local blackout rules. What is shown is due to MLBNetwork regional coverage for the two games. Your region is scheduled to get the Indian and ChiSox instead on the alternate channel. Since Dish does not carry the alternate channel you cannot see the game being shown for your regional coverage area.

K9SAT said:
Prior to HD were there no overhead costs at all? Did Charlie magically will an entire fleet of satellites in the sky and not pay for them? Did he wish an two uplink facilitys into reality? The simple fact is overhead is automatically factored into the base price of any package you purchase. That is with every provider. Its the same overhead no matter what the signal is. The only difference between a SD signal and an HD signal is resolution and how many bits are in the signal. That overhead was there regardless of what fees charlie chooses to pass on to the sub. Dish has lawsuits anyhow.... They are not going away! Why? because dish choses to play games with programming providers. They have done it with just about every provider out there then they play the magical tune that they are saving you money! When in reality subs have lost programming and their prices haven't gone down to reflect the loss programming.

Yes my stance is that if you pay an HD fee, your entitled to EVERY channel that is available in HD. Its like paying for a Buffett and being told you can't eat the macaroni and cheese, you can eat only the Chicken and Slaw. Or Its like ordering a Big mac with large fries, and getting charged full price for the large fry but only getting a small fry instead. Even though the distributor has large frys available, the store has the capability to give you a large fry, but they won't give you the large fry but they will charge you openly for it! Would you want to pay for the large fry and only get the small one? That's what's happening now.

No I don't, the topic morphed into that, What I was doing was an APPLES to APPLES comparison of how one provider does it a lot better than the other, and how there are NONE, ZILCH, ZERO, NADA, complaints from any other provider whom has MLB network and blackouts. While yes the thread started out informal it quickly turned into a bitch fest about how subs are being blacked out of games without an alternative feed. So are you going to blame me for dish not launching the alt feed and costumers bitching? Or is every costumer who comes to this thread a troll to (according to you they are) because what your saying is that they can't come and complain. Anyone whom doesnt worship dish isn't welcomed! Sounds a bit like the other forum and the D* side ehhhh! The trend is the complaints come from dish subs and I just put my observations in the pot. You know why dish subs have been complaining, let me give you a clue, its because dish did not do it right! If dish did it right there wouldn't be any complaints at all! D* does things right (majority of the time), and I don't complain there! The insults started with you in post 429 and continued in post 436. IF you can't take the heat then get out of the kitchen as I will fire back! Just because I'm a Directv sub doesn't disqualify me from being able to actively talk about dish and satellite technology as well as contrasting and comparing how things are done. In your eyes if one is a D* sub, it means automatic troll or if anyone comes to complain about what dish isn't doing right they are a troll also no matter what provider they have. I'll tell you what Ill keep it civilized as long as you do the same. Agreed?

Yes, and the laws do need to be changed. D* is guilty of this one as well, but given the bandwidth restrictions D* is having right now, they are asleep at the wheel with their satellite launches. This is really beginning to feel like a setup for a merger between the two companies, if they merged the networks together (D* and E*) and did a one dish combo (99,101,103,110,119,129) They would have all of the bandwidth in the world to cover everything. They could successfully argue and win it in my opinion that the competition between IPTV, Cable, and digital video services like netflix, is enough competition to allow a merger. They could use the selling point that this would allow them to merge the entire satellite fleets that both companies owns allowing them to better coverage not only with spots (100 percent FULL HD carriage and SD carriage of every local station) as well as full carriage of every cable channel in HD and SD. By combining delivery systems they could argue saves overhead money and gives the costumer better quality signals along with more options in programming. The way dish is loosing subs, they could switch dish subs over to D* proprietary system at a lower cost. I think the market is right for them to do it.

Anyhow back to MLB............

Bob,

Any response would be off topic. I'd be happy to continue this conversation in a PM if you'd like, just let me know.

Ive been watching this thread and wanted to throw in my two cents. I for one am ecstatic that dish added this channel. I did not thing there was a chance in H that this would happen. No alternate channel as of yet but we got the main channel. This off-season we will enjoy the great programming documentary s and the like that the channel shows. Dish for me is the BEST sat service because it beats Direct in equipment and programming. With the blockbuster streaming coming soon i believe dish, to the average customer wins hands down for sports, family, and movie entertainment. Direct has the Ticket, EI (MLB.TV is a great alternative) and the Nascar sports extras but they are behind in basic HD programming and in premium movie HD programming. My only complaint with dish is they drop programming suddenly like Voom, Disney, Lifetime etc and now the rumored ESPN channels in order to nogotiate a deal. That is bad business in my opinion and i would hope they would learn from their mistakes. Now Lets Watch TV.

I'm confused suddenly. I've had zero problems with MLBN and have been watching it all the time:) Suddenly, tonight, the Phillies-Brewers game is blacked out here in eastern MI. Is that due to the MLB's crazy regional blackout stupidity? First game I've seen blacked out, and it makes zero sense.

I'm not sure whats going on either. I'm getting blacked out of games that have nothing to do with my region (New England).

rogerpl said:
I'm not sure whats going on either. I'm getting blacked out of games that have nothing to do with my region (New England).

Again, MLB Network does regional coverage, like Fox Saturday games. This has nothing to do with blackout rules. Certain regions get the game on the main channel and other regions get the game on alternate channel. Your region happens to be the alternate game region.

DodgerKing said:
Again, MLB Network does regional coverage, like Fox Saturday games. This has nothing to do with blackout rules. Certain regions get the game on the main channel and other regions get the game on alternate channel. Your region happens to be the alternate game region.

This is a good way to describe the issue. My question then is why can't mlbn regionalize programing like fox broadcast does instead of requiring providers have an alternate channel for programing? I'm sure if the broadcast guys can do it mlbn can...

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

This is a good way to describe the issue. My question then is why can't mlbn regionalize programing like fox broadcast does instead of requiring providers have an alternate channel for programing? I'm sure if the broadcast guys can do it mlbn can...

money_stack-300x300.jpg

Ross

If I'm understanding what you're asking they do automatically show you the right game on cable systems without an alternate channel.They can do that because cable systems are regional. FOX can do it on satellite without alternates because our FOX affiliates are local to us. They simply give each affiliate the regional game for that area.

MLB Network is the same national channel to everyone in every state on Dish. With alternate they only need 2 channels to cover everyone. If they did this regional thing you are talking about each region would have to have their own MLB Network like it was a local channel or something.

king3pj said:
If I'm understanding what you're asking they do automatically show you the right game on cable systems without an alternate channel.They can do that because cable systems are regional. FOX can do it on satellite without alternates because our FOX affiliates are local to us. They simply give each affiliate the regional game for that area.

MLB Network is the same national channel to everyone in every state on Dish. With alternate they only need 2 channels to cover everyone. If they did this regional thing you are talking about each region would have to have their own MLB Network like it was a local channel or something.

Ok if we follow that logic how is mlbn able to blackout redsox broadcasts from Dish subscribers in New England or Cardinals games in St Louis etc? It would seem that if they can block it they could also send the alternate feed without the need for an alternate channel.

Ross

Last edited:
You guys notice that the MLBNetwork often shows and uses the DirecTV Extra Innings Game Mix channel during some of their programs? The host constantly mention, "Lets look at the DirecTV Game Mix to see what is going on"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts