MLB Trade Deadline/Rumors

Reds Expect To Sign Isringhausen

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 21 at 2:56pm CST]
The Reds expect to sign Jason Isringhausen today, GM Walt Jocketty confirmed to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer. The Reds offered the longtime closer a contract yesterday, after they worked him out and liked what they saw.
The 37-year-old appeared in nine games for the Rays last year and posted a 2.25 ERA. Since 1995, Isringhausen has earned 293 saves, good for 22nd on the all-time list. The righty has posted 7.4 K/9 and 3.9 BB/9 in his career. He'll help former Cardinals teammates Scott Rolen and Russ Springer try to lead Cincinnati to the playoffs for the first time since 1995. For now, Springer and Isringhausen will likely pitch in the minor leagues.

Sox inquiring about Marlins’ Nunez?07.24.10 at 5:54 pm ET
By Chris Price | 1 Comment
According to MLB.com, the Red Sox are one of several teams that have inquired about Florida reliever Leo Nunez. The 26-year-old righty, who has posted a 2.66 ERA with 23 saves this season, has also apparently drawn the interest of the Giants and Tigers. However, the Marlins have told clubs that Nunez isn’t available, at least at this point, but if they fall out of the race by July 31, that may change. (As of Saturday afternoon, Florida is eight games out in the division race, and 5.5 in the NL wild card standings.)

Sox inquiring about Marlins’ Nunez?07.24.10 at 5:54 pm ET
By Chris Price | 1 Comment
According to MLB.com, the Red Sox are one of several teams that have inquired about Florida reliever Leo Nunez. The 26-year-old righty, who has posted a 2.66 ERA with 23 saves this season, has also apparently drawn the interest of the Giants and Tigers. However, the Marlins have told clubs that Nunez isn’t available, at least at this point, but if they fall out of the race by July 31, that may change. (As of Saturday afternoon, Florida is eight games out in the division race, and 5.5 in the NL wild card standings.)

Marlins are playing well...IF they pick up a couple of victories in the next couple of days....they will be within 4 of the WILD CARD. IF they don't, they might be sellers. I think they are not shopping their relief pitchers because Nunez is really the only good bullpen guy they got. BUT, you never know if the Marlins management has given up on the season.

Angels Acquire Dan Haren
By Zach Links [July 25 at 5:19pm CST]

The Angels have acquired Dan Haren from Arizona in exchange for Joe Saunders, Patrick Corbin, Rafael Rodriguez, and a player to be named later, according to Andrew Baggarly of the Mercury News (via Twitter). The player to be named later is a top prospect, a source tells Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic (via Twitter).

The deal brings an end to months of speculation surrounding Haren, who became the most desirable hurler on the trade block after the Mariners shipped Cliff Lee to the Rangers. Unlike Lee, Haren's contract extends beyond this season. Haren is under contract for 2011 and 2012 at $12.75MM per season with a club option for 2013 of $15.5MM. The righthander has a 4.60 ERA with 9.0 K/9 and 1.9 BB/9 in 21 starts thus far in 2010.

Saunders, a former first round pick of the Angels, will change teams for the first time in his career. The lefty owns a career-high 4.62 ERA with 4.8 K/9 and 3.4 BB/9 on the season. The 29-year-old will earn a shade over $1MM for the rest of this season, after which point he is arbitration-eligible.

It was first reported by Bill Plunkett and Dan Woike of the Orange County Register that Saunders was involved in a trade.

Wern't they all talking last year that the yankees best prospect went to Detroit and that they were about out of top notch prospects ?

Yes, Jackson has been a lot of fun to watch and will be for many years to come, Thank You yankees ....

But, I want to know how it is that EVERY time they want a player they say SOMEONE is a can't miss and a blue chip prospect, yet they just got rid of them in an earlier trade, it's AMAZING what the yankees will try to pull over other teams heads...

There are plenty of prospects the yankees have traded away that have NEVER amounted to anything, but seeing they played in the yankees minor league, thay HAD to be the best there ever was.

Well I for one hope the yankees try for the big fish and come up empty.

How gullible can these teams be to think that every kid will be great.

Wern't they all talking last year that the yankees best prospect went to Detroit and that they were about out of top notch prospects ?

I believe there is a post from me here that states Jackson was NOT in fact the Yankees best prospect, the best prospects are both catchers, Jesus Montero and Austin Romine. I stated Jackson may turn out to be great, or may be over-valued because he is in the Yankees minor league system.

But, I want to know how it is that EVERY time they want a player they say SOMEONE is a can't miss and a blue chip prospect, yet they just got rid of them in an earlier trade, it's AMAZING what the yankees will try to pull over other teams heads...

You're right, the Yankees do a fantastic job of selling their prospects as blue chippers. That's their job, and they're very good at it. If the team making the trade does not do their due diligence on a Yankee prospect...shame on them.

There are plenty of prospects the yankees have traded away that have NEVER amounted to anything, but seeing they played in the yankees minor league, thay HAD to be the best there ever was.

Well I for one hope the yankees try for the big fish and come up empty.

How gullible can these teams be to think that every kid will be great.

What the Yankees (and every team) must do is determine which of their prospects fit their needs, and which ones should be used for trade bait. The idea is to keep guys like Robinson Cano, Brett Gardner, Phil Hughes, etc., and use other guys who don't necessarily fit into their long term plans to improve in other areas.

Montero is a good example. A monster hitter, most scouts agree he will be a good or possibly great major league hitter. But he has some issues behind the plate which he may or may not be able to overcome. He just kept growing and now he's up to 6-5 and not a very good receiver. It's possible he could move to first base, but Mark Teixeira will be around a long time. It's possible he should be a full time DH, but the Yankees will not put a kid in his early 20's in that position...perhaps another team will.

Even if Montero can become an adequate catcher someday, Romine is the Yankee catcher of the future...good hitter and great behind the plate with a cannon arm. He's 2-3 years away from Yankee stadium, but Jorge Posada still has a few miles left in him, and a LOT of Yankee fans love Francisco Cevelli (including me), who is playing a lot these days and is just 24 himself.

The bottom line is, Montero will most likely be used as a trading chip for a stud, hopefully a pitcher (he came thisclose to Seattle last month for Cliff Lee), and people will wonder how the Yankees pulled off another coup.

Sandra

Last edited:
I believe there is a post from me here that states Jackson was NOT in fact the Yankees best prospect, the best prospects are both catchers, Jesus Montero and Austin Romine. I stated Jackson may turn out to be great, or may be over-valued because he is in the Yankees minor league system.

You're right, the Yankees do a fantastic job of selling their prospects as blue chippers. That's their job, and they're very good at it. If the team making the trade does not do their due diligence on a Yankee prospect...shame on them.

What the Yankees (and every team) must do is determine which of their prospects fit their needs, and which ones should be used for trade bait. The idea is to keep guys like Robinson Cano, Brett Gardner, Phil Hughes, etc., and use other guys who don't necessarily fit into their long term plans to improve in other areas.

Montero is a good example. A monster hitter, most scouts agree he will be a good or possibly great major league hitter. But he has some issues behind the plate which he may or may not be able to overcome. He just kept growing and now he's up to 6-5 and not a very good receiver. It's possible he could move to first base, but Mark Teixeira will be around a long time. It's possible he should be a full time DH, but the Yankees will not put a kid in his early 20's in that position...perhaps another team will.

Even if Montero can become an adequate catcher someday, Romine is the Yankee catcher of the future...good hitter and great behind the plate with a cannon arm. He's 2-3 years away from Yankee stadium, but Jorge Posada still has a few miles left in him, and a LOT of Yankee fans love Francisco Cevelli (including me), who is playing a lot these days and is just 24 himself.

The bottom line is, Montero will most likely be used as a trading chip for a stud, hopefully a pitcher (he came thisclose to Seattle last month for Cliff Lee), and people will wonder how the Yankees pulled off another coup.

Sandra

Great info Sandra :up

Btw, the Tigers REALLY need a good catcher that can hit .280 or better, have any of them laying around ?

The guy you don't have pegged as making the yankees available ?

Great info Sandra :up

Btw, the Tigers REALLY need a good catcher that can hit .280 or better, have any of them laying around ?

The guy you don't have pegged as making the yankees available ?

Every team in the league knows Montero is available, and most scouts believe he can be a good MLB hitter right now. And possibly a great one down the road. But the asking price is huge. Unless they get an absolute stud in return (like Cliff Lee), the Yankees are more than content to let him stay in the minors to work on his catching.

I guess it's possible Cervelli can be had for the right price, but I hope that doesn't happen. Great defense, pitchers love him, great arm, very good hitter, fiery behind the plate, knack for getting the big hit at the right time...REALLY like this guy.

Joe Girardi is very guarded in his praise for Cervelli, possibly because he doesn't want to annoy Posada. That's why you don't hear much about him outside of New York. But Yankee fans love Cervelli, and so do Girardi and Cashman.

Sandra

Every team in the league knows Montero is available, and most scouts believe he can be a good MLB hitter right now. And possibly a great one down the road. But the asking price is huge. Unless they get an absolute stud in return (like Cliff Lee), the Yankees are more than content to let him stay in the minors to work on his catching.

I guess it's possible Cervelli can be had for the right price, but I hope that doesn't happen. Great defense, pitchers love him, great arm, very good hitter, fiery behind the plate, knack for getting the big hit at the right time...REALLY like this guy.

Joe Girardi is very guarded in his praise for Cervelli, possibly because he doesn't want to annoy Posada. That's why you don't hear much about him outside of New York. But Yankee fans love Cervelli, and so do Girardi and Cashman.

Sandra

Well, I think it was last year or the one before that, that Texas had the top catching and had a surplus, so the Tigers got one.
Laird is VERY good with the pitchers, but hitting is very sparse, your almost giddy to see him get a hit as it happens so infrequently.
He's gotten his avg UP some of late, he's now up to a whooping .185.

You can't carry enough guys to Pinch hit for him on every at bat.

The OTHER catcher, young Alex Avilla, is suppose to be a good hitter, according to reports, but I haven't seen it. He really probably should be in Toledo (AAA).
Avilla's got his avg up to .206 now.
Both were around .150 for a LONG time.

Sandra

FWIW, Austin's dad is former Red Sox outfielder Kevin Romine (circa late 80's/early 90's).

Tigers, Rangers Losing Interest In Lowell

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 26 at 4:20pm CST]
The Tigers and Rangers have been eyeing Mike Lowell, but both teams are losing interest in the infielder, according to [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5411498&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines"]Texas Rangers, Detroit Tigers appear to be losing interest in Boston Red Sox's Mike Lowell. - ESPN Boston[/ame]. The Rangers appear to be pursuing Jorge Cantu aggressively, so their interest in Lowell has faded.
The Tigers had amateur scouting director David Chadd watch Lowell rehab with the Pawtucket Red Sox recently, according to Edes. Detroit just lost infielders Carlos Guillen and Brandon Inge to the DL, but a big league source tells Edes that the Tigers aren’t likely to obtain Lowell.
Lowell, 36, has hit .213/.308/.350 in 91 plate appearances this season, but has recently been sidelined with a hip injury. About $4.2MM remains on Lowell’s contract, but the Red Sox would take on a substantial chunk of salary in any trade

Edwin Jackson-Adam Dunn Three-Team Rumor

By Tim Dierkes [July 26 at 1:27pm CST]
1:27pm: The Diamondbacks have not yet held three-way talks with the Nationals and White Sox, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Still, they will "not hesitate to deal Edwin Jackson if they get what they want." ESPN's Buster Olney adds via Twitter, "The Nats have made progress in their effort to trade prospects for Jackson."
11:43am: It wouldn't be late July without rumors of intriguing three-team deals. ESPN's Jayson Stark:
Rumblings continue to surface about a possible three-team deal involving the Nationals, White Sox and Diamondbacks that would send Edwin Jackson to Washington, Adam Dunn to Chicago and a bunch of young pitchers to Arizona.
We know the Nationals like Jackson and the White Sox like Dunn, so perhaps the D'Backs can facilitate a deal and further stock up on prospects. Jackson, who is no stranger to three-team deals, has a 5.01 ERA, 7.0 K/9, and 4.0 BB/9 in 20 starts for Arizona. On the plus side, he turns 27 in September, averages 94 mph on his fastball, and is signed for next year. As he was with Dan Haren, D'Backs interim GM Jerry Dipoto might be forced to sell low on Jackson.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts