MLB Trades and Rumors

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
I wanted to make this thread about any trades or rumors that you've heard that might happen. I know it might be early to do this but there are rumors and minor trades already happening.

Delcarmen Wants To Stay In Boston

By Nat Boyle [May 24 at 1:04pm CST]
Hacks with Haggs has an interview with Manny Delcarmen who says he "wouldn't be too happy" if he were dealt. Said Delcarmen,
"To me, I think it’s always good when teams are asking about you and they want you. It made me feel really good when Theo (Epstein) and those guys turned it down right away. Because I feel like I’m a part of the team here and I’m used to being here. To start fresh somewhere (else), I wouldn’t be too happy about that. It’s cool to know that Boston wants to keep me here."

The hard throwing Delcarmen is out of options and continues to show promise, posting a 0.95 ERA through 18 games so far in '09. Just recently, Epstein shot down a rumor involving the Nationals swapping Nick Johnson for Delcarmen.

Giants Shopping Matt Cain

By Nat Boyle [May 24 at 10:07am CST]
Brian Sabean has gone to market. The Giants G.M. is seeking a bat with Nick Johnson atop his list, according to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News.
In a piece posted last night, Baggarly says Sabean is dangling Matt Cain to get a feel for his value on the open-market. "Because Cain is young, controllable and relatively cheap for two more seasons, it would require productive offensive players with similar service-time attributes to strike a deal," says Baggarly.
Cain will make only $2.65MM this year and $4.25MM next, with a $6.25MM club option for 2011. Coming off a complete game victory yesterday, Cain is 5-1 with a 2.40 ERA despite an increased walk rate and decreased strikeout rate in 2009.

The Giants need another bat or two. They have the worst offense in baseball and probably one of the worst offenses of all time (relative to the era they play in). They are now about 3rd or 4th in the NL in pitching and have a lot of young good arms. They can afford to trade one of them for some hitting help (especially now that Zito has seemed to find himself again). The problem is they need a middle of the order bat and an outfielder or 3rd baseman. Johnson is a good hitter, but he is not a middle of the order hitter (maybe on the Giants he will be??? :D) and to trade a pitcher like Cain for a slightly above average hitter with below average power in a power position doesn't make much sense.

Looking at Cain's stats, the Mets would love to have him. Young, durable and could pitch. Let's see, Tim Redding or Matt Cain? Its not even a debate.

Source: Mets not interested in Brad Penny

By: Alex Speier
A major-league source with direct knowledge of the Mets' plans said the team had no interest in acquiring Red Sox starter Brad Penny. Penny's name had been rumored as one that might interest New York. The Red Sox' fifth starter is aware that his name will likely be part of the rumor mill because he is in Boston on a one-year contract and the Sox have one of the deepest groups of major-league and major-league-ready starters in the majors. For more, see "Brad Penny Tunes Out the Rumors."

Giants Not Dangling Cain, Not Interested In Holliday

By Tim Dierkes [May 25 at 8:17am CST]
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle provides an update on a few Giants rumors.
  • Schulman's "very high-level" Giants source says Matt Cain is not being dangled, contrary to an earlier rumor.
  • Schulman agrees with Juan C. Rodriguez's report that the Giants have asked the Marlins about Dan Uggla.
  • Schulman believes the Giants are talking to the Nationals about Nick Johnson. However, his source said the team has no interest in Matt Holliday. Much has been made of Holliday's slow start, but keep in mind he's hitting .296/.406/.494 in May.

Dammit!! I wanted Matt Cain. He's a good, young pitcher with what I think is a decent pedagree. He could be very good. Oh well, welcome back Oliver Perez!!!

The rumors of the Detroit Tiger's trading Magglio seem to have simmered down. Didn't make any sense to me to begin with. We're contending this season, and his veteran bat would be, as Rod Allen says, HUGE!!!, down the stretch.

Red Sox To Talk Trades, Might Deal

By Ben Nicholson-Smith
As Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald reports, Theo Epstein says he'll be involved in trade talks. However, there's no guarantee that he'll make a deal. Epstein predicts that the Red Sox will be "active on trade talks as far as discussions go," but cautions that he "would never want to predict" a trade.
As Epstein acknowledges, the Red Sox have areas for improvement. David Ortiz still hasn't heated up and the Red Sox aren't getting much production at shortstop as they await Jed Lowrie's return from injury. Ultimately, Epstein says the Red Sox are in a "good position" because of their excess pitching, and it's hard to disagree with him even though the Yankees are leading the AL East.

The Reds might need to make a trade with all the injuries going on.

If Holliday goes anywhere, it will probably be across the bay to SF. They desperately need a middle of the order power bat and outfielder, and they have plenty of pitching to acquire him.

THIS is why I am getting fed with the A's.

They get a big name, and he doesn't even last until the All-Star Break!

I am not going to sever my Oakland ties YET (I am getting closer and closer- this isn't like Tampa in 2007, because with those youngsters, we knew they would get better), but I will do something about it, but not too drastic.

I am going to go on a strike against the A's the way Bill did with the Red Sox last year!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts