How do you feel about your baseball team at this point in the season?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
As we approach the homestretch of the MLB Season, I am interested as to how you feel about your team at this point in the season as we head down the stretch?

For some of us, our teams are doing very well (i.e. KCK, Sandra), or not doing very well (HD, Iceberg, myself).

As an Astros fan, there isn't much to look forward to. We have a high payroll ($102 million), are the oldest team in baseball, and have no farm system. Drayton McLane drove off our GM, Gerry Hunsicker, and replaced him with Tim Purpura, who was an unmitigated disaster. He's since fired Purpura and replaced him with Ed Wade. Wade was GM in Philly for eight seasons and never made the playoffs. What a resume! It speaks volumes that last year's World Series pitted Hunsicker's new team against the one that fired Ed Wade.

The Astros have spent the past few offseasons acting like they are one piece away from greatness. They hire one big name and pronounce themselves contenders. I don't think that the fans are going to buy it this time. Attendance has been brutal for the last month or so.

I don't see how things will ever improve until the owner stops thinking he's a great baseball man, hires a good GM, and let's him do his job.

The Cardinals are the best team in the National League, maybe the best in baseball. I foresee an Yankees/Cardinals World Series; the Cardinals in 6. Wainright wins the Cy Young and Pujols-MVP.

Cautiously optimistic.

Only 2 days off between now and the last day of the season. Facing The Yankees (home) And Red Sox (away). Most importantly the Rangers for 7 more games with only a 5 game lead on them as of this evening.

Offense is downright EXPLOSIVE and can take over any deficit. However, as last night showed, (a masterful game from the starting pitcher (Weaver) who left after 6 innings with a 3-0 lead only to see the bullpen blow it one inning later) there will be concerns about holding/closing out a lead until the final out of the final game however long the teams goes in post season. That is IF they make it to post season.

Clay Buchholz is the single biggest factor for the Red Sox.

IF he pitches like he did last night, the Sox have found their #3 starter, and they can make a deep postseason run (at least the ALCS). BUT that's a HUGE IF!!!

If I had to make a prediction RIGHT NOW, the Sox make the playoffs via the wildcard, but bow out in the ALDS.

Happy, was not sure the Tigers this year would be in a race come September and they are!

Clay Buchholz is the single biggest factor for the Red Sox.

IF he pitches like he did last night, the Sox have found their #3 starter, and they can make a deep postseason run (at least the ALCS). BUT that's a HUGE IF!!!...

But if Beckett continues to pitch like he has in his last three outings, the Red Sox are in a lot of trouble.

As long as the Marlins sit within 4 games of either the NL East OR the Wild Card, they will be there. The injury of Nick Johnson has hurt the hitting lately, but they are right there.

Detroit Tigers

Thrilled,
I never expected them to be leading the AL Central thru most of the year, since May I think.

That said, lots of holes ...
Offense can be shut down by good pitching or ROOKIE pitchers.

Defense has been a strong suiut for most of the season.
Starting pitching has been great for the 1-3 spots, 4-5 have been in and out and unreliable for the most part, but they also have had injuries effect them in this area.
Bullpen has actually been pretty good, but still make me nervous.

Miguel Cabrera would have HUGE numbers if he had someone to hit around him (ala Holliday is doing for Pujols ).

Miguel Cabrera would have HUGE numbers if he had someone to hit around him (ala Holliday is doing for Pujols ).

MAN do I miss Miggy! IF he was still in this line-up WITH Hanley, either one would be THE front runner for MVP....the Marlins WOULD be closer or maybe even in 1st place.:(:(:(:(:river:river:river

...."shoulda, coulda, woulda....and if my aunt had ballz, she'd be my uncle...."

MLB Trades and Rumors

Random Thoughts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts