Random Thoughts

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Finally real football!!! edition...

1. Felt so bad for Jerry Hairston Jr. last night. Two outs in the 7th, Andy Pettite has a perfect game going. Routine grounder to third, which goes through Hairston's (giving A-Rod a rest) legs. Would have been the third out, but the next batter singles to left...perfect game and no-hitter gone like that. Outstanding job in the dugout by all the Yankees (inculding Andy) going over to Hairston telling him to keep his head up. They actually made him laugh.

2. What happened to Roy Halladay anyway? Is it a letdown that he wasn't traded from the Jays? Or just the long season and a ton of innings catching up to him?

3. Statistics are a funny thing. Saw a stat last night that said AJ Burnett was 0-4 in August. Totally true, but what that stat doesn't say about Burnett's 'dismal' August, is that there was also the 7 2/3 innings, one hit gem he pitched against the Red Sox, matching Josh Beckett (who was also amazing) pitch for pitch, to help get the Yankees to the 15th inning in the game of the year...where A-Rod hit a walk off homer. The game that ended Boston's dominance over the Yankees this year (and turned those tables), and was the impetus that created the separation between the teams.

4. When I was a teenager the Rangers were 0-for-something in the Nassau Mausoleum. They just couldn't beat the Stink-landers there, over a period of years...in the regular season. But in that time they won a playoff game there, the most imporant game of them all. They held serve at home, so they won the series. Yet announcers would still look at the stat and tell us how the Rangers hadn't won on Long Island in years. Statistics are a funny thing.

5. Good news for Squeaky Fromme, she was just reinstated by Roger Goodell.

6. I know some of you guys like it, but I just don't get into the whole ESPN Gameday thing on Saturdays. Lee Corso in a mascot head, drunk students in the background. Just not my thing. Give me the games.

7. In fact, off the top of my head the only studio show I even pay attention to is TNT basketball. Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, and Chris Webber are excellent together, and very funny. Oh, also Hockey Night in Canada studio shows all night Saturday night, through both games of the doubleheader. MacLean and Cherry, Satellite Hot Stove, PJ Stock and Kelly Hrudey with the scores and highlights, the After Hours interview...all outstanding.

8. I'm really annoyed about DirecTV dropping Versus last night. This is why I'm with DirecTV, because things like this never happened. I really don't care about an extra dollar or two in my satellite bill. I pay a fortune already, what difference is a fortune and a dollar? Show me the games!!!

9. Soooooo looking forward to Andrew Siciliano and the Red Zone channel again. Andrew is awesome, if you're a football fan it's six hours of must-see TV.

10. I really enjoy Hard Knocks on HBO. Ocho Cinco begging Marvin Lewis to let him kick the extra point was priceless...and he really nailed it! The show is great, shows all of the human side of training camp. 'Child please'. :D

11. One prediction though, after watching this...Chris Henry will be dealing with the law again someday. Just a feeling...

12. Sounds like some (or all) college football teams go over the line with extra practices, workouts, film sessions, etc...and Rich Rodriguez obliterated the line and went so far beyond it that it faded into his rear view mirror. Rodriguez and Michigan just does not seem like a good marriage.

13. After watching the Vick debut, I still say McNabb and Vick is a very strange combination, and will lead to trouble. Because of McNabb. He was shown talking to Vick on the sidelines, then he did the 'throat-cut' gesture to the coordinator, signaling the wildcat experiment was over for the game...long before it was supposed to be over. McNabb is one complex carbohydrate...and extremely sensitive.

14. If you guys want to check out Maria Sharapova and her endless legs at the US Open, you better watch tonight. She hasn't been hanging around long at tournaments recently because of her shoulder. Perhaps this will be her second coming out party.

15. I'm just not feeling Rex Ryan and the Jets yet. The defense can't be what he wants it to be right now, rookie QB, difficult schedule...I'm sensing a rebuilding year. Oh well, at least the Penguin is gone.

16. Wow, Derek Jeter. Just wow.

17. Burnett's picthing tonight, and it is time for him to rejoin the party. Not the pie-in-the-face part of the party, the part where you win baseball games.

18. The amount of marquee college football games in September is...spotty at best. I'm Ok with teams playing one cream puff as an exhibition game, but it's starting to get ridiculous. Three games out of eleven should not be walk-overs, especially when there are always some easy in-conference games as well.

19. Having said that...FINALLY there is football that counts! The NFL exhibition season is just endless. Nobody cares about that battle for the third tight end position, or whether you're going to keep three or four running backs.

20. And finally, you guys get to drool over the USC Song Girls again. :rolleyes:

21. It's funny, there is a team that will feel ripped off in December that they weren't included in the BCS championship game...and they'll be complaining no end about how bad the formula is. But for some reason, that team is not saying a word right now. ;)

Sandra

Last edited:
6. I know some of you guys like it, but I just don't get into the whole ESPN Gameday thing on Saturdays. Lee Corso in a mascot head, drunk students in the background. Just not my thing. Give me the games.

I don't watch the whole show, too early, but seeing Corso put that mascot head on is one of the best things going on.

8. I'm really annoyed about DirecTV dropping Versus last night. This is why I'm with DirecTV, because things like this never happened. I really don't care about an extra dollar or two in my satellite bill. I pay a fortune already, what difference is a fortune and a dollar? Show me the games!!!

This would really suck if any pro sports leagues had their games on that channel. :rolleyes:

12. Sounds like some (or all) college football teams go over the line with extra practices, workouts, film sessions, etc...and Rich Rodriguez obliterated the line and went so far beyond it that it faded into his rear view mirror. Rodriguez and Michigan just does not seem like a good marriage.

This is a trainwreck I'd thought you'd enjoy, as an Ohio St fan.

14. If you guys want to check out Maria Sharapova and her endless legs at the US Open, you better watch tonight. She hasn't been hanging around long at tournaments recently because of her shoulder. Perhaps this will be her second coming out party.

Women's tennis is absolutely brutal to watch. Venus Williams' match set the game back 30 years. I think I heard Billie Jean King say they should pay the women less after that match. :D

20. And finally, you guys get to drool over the USC Song Girls again. :rolleyes:

And we will, all the way to the Rose Bowl, much to sabres' chagrin. :D

21. It's funny, there is a team that will feel ripped off in December that they weren't included in the BCS championship game...and they'll be complaining no end about how bad the formula is. But for some reason, that team is not saying a word right now. ;)

It'd be ironic if that team were Oklahoma and they beat Texas this year. :D

Did they put the kabosh on the grunting/moaning in Woman's Tennis yet? If not, tonight is must see TV! :D

6 - I love Gameday. It is so much unlike the other garbage on ESPN.

7 - Studio shows are the most over-analyized thing on TV. People mostly watch whichever studio show has the game they want to watch on that channel.

8 - I am giving DirecTV the benefit of the doubt, because even Malone should know that if DirecTV ever become just another service that has 9 out of 10 good channels, its dead. Comcast is of course, evil. I think that Comcast is just going to demand extreme things from both DBS companies so it can advertize that it has 10-20 "exclusive" channels. But it will bankrupt itself if it thinks that ad buyers are going to let it be a channel that no one gets. But the fault here lies with the NHL and IRL. You simply inform Comcast that they are in violation of their contract, tie it up in court, and even if you lose, make it plain that you will never resign with any Comcast entity ever.

11 - People go to WVU either because they are not good enough a player or good enough a person to play elsewhere. Character does not matter there.

12 - See comment #11 above. This is the Gerry Faust hire of the 00s.

18 - Depends on the conference. SEC, Big 10 and Big 12 can certainly stand a weaker non-conf schedule that others, due to the strength of the conf games.

19 - I ignore the NFLPS. Everyone should.

21 - Sure they are. They are the members of the MWC, CUSA, and the WAC.

When you got to go to the classes of 1955 and 1960 to make your point, you probably do not have one.

I have a feeling this is just a strategic move by DirecTV.

Let's face it, Versus needs DirecTV more than DirecTV needs Versus. I fully expect Versus to be carried by DirecTV once again before Hockey Season starts.

2. What happened to Roy Halladay anyway? Is it a letdown that he wasn't traded from the Jays? Or just the long season and a ton of innings catching up to him?
dismantling the team doesnt help either ;)

7. Oh, also Hockey Night in Canada studio shows all night Saturday night, through both games of the doubleheader. MacLean and Cherry, Satellite Hot Stove, PJ Stock and Kelly Hrudey with the scores and highlights, the After Hours interview...all outstanding.
there is no other option out there. The rest suck :)

When its more than that, then you'll be part of that group whining "why did my bill go up"?

19. Having said that...FINALLY there is football that counts! The NFL exhibition season is just endless. Nobody cares about that battle for the third tight end position, or whether you're going to keep three or four running backs.

it will be nice to have legit football soon. But college football is already in force :)

When its more than that, then you'll be part of that group whining "why did my bill go up"?

Not a chance. I've always paid whatever DirecTV has asked, absorbed every price increase. They give me a huge break on NFL Sunday Ticket because I spend so much money and buy all the sports packages at whatever price they ask.

I just want to see the games...;)

Sandra

Sandra
Stop talking about Mack Brown and Texas!

How do you feel about your baseball team at this point in the season?

League adopts "do over" rule for Cowboys video board

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)