MLB's top 20 games on MLB network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
has anyone seen an advertisement yet? i've heard that it might actually be the Angels at #1!

I guess you missed my post above ;)

Well I saw a commercial today on MLB for the #1 in the "top 20 games" which is on next Sunday and I was shocked

eh, not really

Red Sox/Reds Game 6 75 WS

Well the fact that Game 6 of the 2002 WS did not even make the top 20 is evidence enough of the East Coast Bias. Add to it game 6 of the 1975 WS being #1, only further demonstrates that point.

Two innings alone does not make a great game.
A great comeback changing the outcome not only of the game, but the series does. I would be willing to bet you if that series, exactly the same, with exactly the same players and the same outcome was played with the one exception being it was the Yanks or the Sox instead of the Angels, not only would it be in the top 20, it would be in the top 5.

Sorry, but Fisk HR game, which should be in the top 20, is not #1

so I guess one play (as is the case in a couple of those games) makes it a "greatest" game

couple examples
-#19 (Giants/Marlins).. the play at the plate to end it
-#7...Bartman
#19 should not be anywhere near the top 20, even though I as a Giant hater love the outcome of that game

#9 should be closer to #19

Also, just about every great game is determined by one or two innings alone.

My pick is the 1979 regular season game between the Baltimore Orioles and the New York Yankees played on the day of Thurman Munson's funeral.

For those who don't remember:

That regular season game was scheduled to be broadcast nationally on Monday Night Baseball.. The Yankees had originally announced that it was going to be postponed, but then relented and decided to play it at the behest of Munson's widow.

In the seventh inning, the Yankees were trailing 4-0 but had runners on first and third with two out. Up to the plate comes Bobby Murcer. Thurman Munson wasn't exactly a friendly guy. By most accounts, he only had two friends, Murcer and Lou Pinella, who earlier had delivered the eulogies at the funeral. We are told that Murcer is 0 for 23 for the season driving in runners from third with two out. So the person we would most hope to get a big hit is, statistically, the least likely guy in all of baseball to do so. So he lines the next pitch into the right field bleachers for a three run homer.

The next batter walks. So who comes up to the plate with the first opportunity to give the Yankees the lead? Reggie Jackson, he of the "I'm the straw that stirs the drink." and "Thurman Munson can only stir it bad" quotes. He of the dramatic homer-on-cue career. In other words, we have gone from having the person who is least likely to homer but who we most want to homer, to now having the guy who is most likely to homer but who is the last guy in the world we would want to see hit one right now.

Then, Baltimore counters by bringing in Dennis Martinez. We are told that Dennis Martinez has not given up a home run to a left handed batter in two years! The immovable object versus the irresistible force. Then, Howard Cosell says something like, "Would anyone care to venture a guess as to the identity of the last, left handed batter to hit a home run off Martinez"?

My stomach was in knots. I didn't know what I wanted to see happen. But the bat never left Reggie's shoulder, as he walked on five pitches, with the only strike being called. The next batter ended the inning, and the game marched on to the bottom of the ninth, and with runners on second and third and two out, guess who comes to the plate for the Yankees? Murcer, who is now one for twenty-four for the season at driving in runs from third with two out, meaning that in spite of his earlier homer, he still might be, statistically, the least likely batter in baseball to drive in the run. So what does he do? He hits a bullet down the left field line to win the game. Like Kirk Gibson's homer, if someone had written it as a novel, it wouldn't have sold because no one would have believed it.

Last edited:
I watched the mlb top 20 games just now. It was an hour long special of highlights of the top 20 games. It was fantastic seeing the players talk about the plays from a particular game. Not only that, but the clips they showed was the actual game footage, not radio calls, the actual game footage which I thought was great.

My only complaint is that I would like to see the games unedited in its entirety. No Costas or Verducci, just the game. Also, did you catch, I believe Andy Van Slyke say that he told Barry Bonds to move in during the 1992 NLCS and Bonds flipped him off. Does that really surprise you that Bonds did that?

that was it, although i forgot to record the replay. that was a great game. boston may have won but the reds won the series!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts