MLS is about to take over the NHL in average attendance

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
But you cannot compare the two because they don't play the same amount of games, they don't have the same seat capacity, they don't charge the same for tickets and they don't have the same player salary structure.

They don't have playing favilities of the same kind and we ar comparing those. Not sure why player salary structure matters if we are talking revenue. Profit or cost yes but not revenue.

Ticket sales...TV and radio rights...sponsorship...and a bunch of other things to into overall revenue.

That is an incredible gap between the NHL and MLS...I had no idea it was that large.

It looks like whoever said the MLS is giving away a lot of freebies is right. There must be very little TV revenue in the MLS. Hopefully the MLS is at least poised to stay afloat.

Sandra

Payroll structure as well as TV contract is much more lucrative than the MLS.

Wow, and it just gets worse for the MLS...

Stanley Cup final games were watched by 14 million people.

The MLS championship game was watched by 1 million people.

Just an incredible disparity...and the trend is that Stanley Cup ratings were way up, and the MLS championship ratings sank lower than Al Davis's approval rating.

I lover soccer and I hope the MLS is poised to stay in business...but these numbers do not bode well for them.

Sandra

Wow, and it just gets worse for the MLS...

Stanley Cup final games were watched by 14 million people.

The MLS championship game was watched by 1 million people.

Just an incredible disparity...and the trend is that Stanley Cup ratings were way up, and the MLS championship ratings sank lower than Al Davis's approval rating.

I lover soccer and I hope the MLS is poised to stay in business...but these numbers do not bode well for them.

Sandra

And yet, they are poised to average more than the NHL.

But that speck is almost averaging as much as both....

You made your point about stadium attendance and I am not arguing. You are correct.

I'm talking overall popularity, which Ms. Ortiz's article aludes to. She's the one who mentioned TV ratings.

The MLS is doing shockingly poorly there. People may be going to games (and you can debate whether half of them are going because of free tickets), but otherwise they are obviously not paying attention to the MLS.

Sandra

Even more bad news for the MLS...the 'big' NBC/Versus deal salsadancer brought up? Not so big after all. The rights fee is $10 million dollars. Not per team, the TOTAL rights fee, for the WHOLE LEAGUE, is $10 million.

The total rights fee for the NHL is $200 MILLION PER YEAR.

20 times higher. Ouch.

Sandra

You made your point about stadium attendance and I am not arguing. You are correct.

I'm talking overall popularity, which Ms. Ortiz's article aludes to. She's the one who mentioned TV ratings.

The MLS is doing shockingly poorly there. People may be going to games (and you can debate whether half of them are going because of free tickets), but otherwise they are obviously not paying attention to the MLS.

Sandra

But having them GO TO THE games is what owners want. There no owner of any professional franchise that would prefer to have their fans watch on TV. The league is taking baby steps to try to avoid making some of the mistakes previous professional soccer league made and some of the greedy mistakes other professional leagues make now.

Byt the way, HOW LONG has the NHL been around again?

Even more bad news for the MLS...the 'big' NBC/Versus deal salsadancer brought up? Not so big after all. The rights fee is $10 million dollars. Not per team, the TOTAL rights fee, for the WHOLE LEAGUE, is $10 million.

The total rights fee for the NHL is $200 MILLION PER YEAR.

20 times higher. Ouch.

Sandra

When you have been around around as long as the NHL where you have multiple minor leagues that they have in another country....you are surprised?

But having them GO TO THE games is what owners want. There no owner of any professional franchise that would prefer to have their fans watch on TV. The league is taking baby steps to try to avoid making some of the mistakes previous professional soccer league made and some of the greedy mistakes other professional leagues make now.

Byt the way, HOW LONG has the NHL been around again?

Exactly...I agree with baby steps.

But when people start saying the MLS is poised to overtake the NHL in OVERALL popularity...a reality check is in order.

Sandra

But it still cuts into revenue. You get one to pay the other.

Actually payroll doesn't cut into revenue. Revenue or sales is the total of all incoming money related to the main business activity. Payroll cuts into profit but not revenue. In general terms revenue minus expenses is profit. Its possible to have revenue of $100 billion and still have a net loss if your expenses are high enough.

Haha sorry about all of that but I am an accountant recently graduated and trying to pass my CPA exams right now so these terms (among others) are my life right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts