MNF distortion on ABC?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

twohourride

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Arlington, TX
I am watching MNF on WFAA-HD OTA here in Dallas...seems the broadcast is somewhat distorted, kind of like a film projector type "jerky" movement. Is anyone else experiencing this? I have a Sammy 360 unit.

Also, the picture looks worse than previous MNF games....should I try changing resolution, etc. on the HD box? What settings do other Sammy 360 users set resolution at? Thanks!

Same problems here (WFAA), so don't change any settings. The frame rate is too slow. It's apparently stupid ABC or WFAA. I hate it too. I'm forced to go to the SD version.

Thanks...

Guess I'm headed to SD as well :no

Do you have your resolution on any native settings, or always 1080i?...I'm not changing mine, just curious..

No problems detected here in PHX AZ (except for sound problems which is typical for the crappy ABC station here)

twohourride said:

Do you have your resolution on any native settings, or always 1080i?...I'm not changing mine, just curious..

720P native monitor. 1080i usually looks better, so that's where it stays. Don't know for sure why. Lots of discussion in other threads about that. But the short answer is, no I didn't muck with the rez as it's apparently a feed problem. The fact that both of us see it makes that apparent.

fkostyn said:
No problems detected here in PHX AZ (except for sound problems which is typical for the crappy ABC station here)

Yeah, I suspect it's just WFAA (outta DFW). Usually good sound and picture. But when they screw it up, it's unwatchable.

If you think thats bad, last night during Desperate housewives and Gray's anatomy, the picture switched from HD to SD (and then back again) about every 30-60 seconds, with the sound cracking and cutting out at the same time. The station here (KNXV) is absolutly horrible.

twohourride said:

In theory, you get the best picture in Native resolution, because Native is the format that the program is being sent, no conversions.

Why would anyone want to watch sports in 1080i, seeing that you are getting LESS resolution in that format.

Keep in mind that 1080 interlaced is 540P. (progressive)

1080i looks great for regular programming, but often has trouble doing any fast moving pictures, such as football and hockey.......

Jimbo

Another 'me too' response here.

Same problem here with WFAA in Dallas. I have never noticed this problem before on Channel 8 (ABC), nor have I seen it on our Fox affiliate, Channel 4, who also broadcasts at 720p. CBS, Channel 11, has always been the best for us with their pristine 1080i telecasts.

My downstairs TV displays at a 720p native rate, but the Channel 8 broadcast was just awful. My big Pioneer rear CRT upstairs converts to 1080i-I ran up to look at it and the picture was much better after the set's own scaling, and it was better after I let my Sony tuner scale to 1080, but neither were as good as a normal game on CBS or Fox.

Both sets I tested with have been recently ISF'd and are fine with most other sources (except, of course, DirecTV's sucky abomination of HD Lite).

Another for the "me too" side of it. This isn't the first time I have seen this from WFAA.

I agree CBS is always pristine. Love watching football on that channel.

Tonedeaf said:
I agree CBS is always pristine. Love watching football on that channel.
They say 720 is better for sports. My HD TiVo and Mitsu WS55315 both are 1080i all the time, with no 720p mode available to the set. CBS DOES ALWAYS LOOK BETTER than FOX or ESPN. I would need a 720p monitor to accuratly compare ... but I am quite pleased at fulltime 1080i

My broadcast from WABC did have some audio problems but was OK. The jerking also occured but infrequently.

Neither tonedeaf nor I have mentioned to those curious about Dallas/Fort Worth as a top twelve market is that our local NBC affiliate is so laughably and completely inept with it's HD and digital broadcasting that even Channel 8 (ABC) looks good by comparison. It is very common for Channel 5 to begin network HD shows with no sound, then switch to standard def on digital with intermittent sound, then back to widescreen with no sound, and then finally HD with sound, but a picture which will suddenly switch to 4:3 and back to 16:9 again during, usually, the most critical parts of the show. It's so bad that we protectively TiVo the only NBC show left that we watch (West Wing) on analog so we can hear what they said in the first part of the show.

Any of you other markets out there get this garbage, or are we just cursed in Dallas?

Hey Pro Amateur: We have a 720p display (Sony LCD) and a 1080i display (65" Pioneer rptv). The results perplexingly seem precisely the same on both, regardless of the display native rate or the selected output of the tuner, and our results are consistent with yours.

Happy Camper said:
Neither tonedeaf nor I have mentioned to those curious about Dallas/Fort Worth as a top twelve market is that our local NBC affiliate is so laughably and completely inept with it's HD and digital broadcasting that even Channel 8 (ABC) looks good by comparison. It is very common for Channel 5 to begin network HD shows with no sound, then switch to standard def on digital with intermittent sound, then back to widescreen with no sound, and then finally HD with sound, but a picture which will suddenly switch to 4:3 and back to 16:9 again during, usually, the most critical parts of the show. It's so bad that we protectively TiVo the only NBC show left that we watch (West Wing) on analog so we can hear what they said in the first part of the show.

Any of you other markets out there get this garbage, or are we just cursed in Dallas?

Why don't you guy's down in Dallas and surrounding areas call and get ahold of the local engeneer and see if they can clear up some of your issues .

They won't do anything if they are not aware of it, I did this and have had no trouble since.
Beleive it or not, they do not look at thier HD sets, to see what is being broadcast, the analog signal still goes to EVERYBODY so that is thier priority.

Jimbo

This might be part of everyone's problem:

Problems were caused by a fix sent to us by ABC to correct a receiver issue. It caused more problems that it fixed. We are still working with ABC to resolve the issue.

This is from my local ABC Chief engineer in regards to 16x9 and 4x3 problems with the HD channel.

I have to agree....CBS looks best, ABC and FOX next, NBC looks only slightly better than SD here in Dallas.

My old Panny only does 480 and 1080...no 720.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)