mobile wifi hotspot

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chewy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Does anyone know if there is a way to use my phones mobile hotspot for internet to my directv receivers? Right now all 4 of my receivers are hard wired to my router, now that I have 4g on my phone with hotspot I would like to cancel my internet and just use my smart phone for internet. Anyway to use the mobile hotspot for internet to the router?

chewy said:
Does anyone know if there is a way to use my phones mobile hotspot for internet to my directv receivers? Right now all 4 of my receivers are hard wired to my router, now that I have 4g on my phone with hotspot I would like to cancel my internet and just use my smart phone for internet. Anyway to use the mobile hotspot for internet to the router?

I have asked several local reps about this and a few other people and there seems not to be. The other thing to consider is even if it did then if you have a data limit then you will use it rather quickly running D through it if you use on Demand and things.

I have Verizon with an unlimited data plan still :)...... Just got 4G yesterday,,, holy cow 19mbs (on my phone!) compared to my CentryLink DSL, 7mbs which I pay $46.99 a month for at my house. I think the next step to improve the "mobile hot spot" is home networking with hard wired connections..

Last edited:
chewy said:
I have Verizon with an unlimited data plan still :)...... Just got 4G yesterday,,, holy cow 19mbs compared to my CentryLink DSL, 7mbs which I pay $46.99 a month for.

IKR, sucks you cant use it for this type of stuff. Make things simpler and cheaper. Everyone wants money though I guess lol

YES, it can be done. You will probably need a wireless cinema connection kit or a wireless bridge to connect to the Directv system

I called DTV about this and they (she) told me it can't be done with the cinema connection kit, I have other wifi and hard wired equipment attached to router

Last edited:
You need a "Wireless" cinema connection kit. The standard cinema connection kits won't work.

This may work for DTV receivers, but I have other machines that use the internet. I need to get my router internet from my phone

Or use a router and flip it to a wireless bridge.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

explain, how does this take my mobile hot spot and feed the internet to my router?

Where's Charper on this???? Scott?????

Last edited:
explain, how does this take my mobile hot spot and feed the internet to my router?

Where's Charper on this???? Scott?????

Basically just converts the wireless part back in to ethernet.

Or a cheap old router that you might even have laying around. Flash ddwrt to it or openwrt depending on the router type. Configure as a wireless bridge.

I am not sure if this would work, but what about using one of the wireless extenders that have ethernet? Prior to wireless being so popular, most devices were ethernet only and you could buy a wireless extender to connect ethernet. May be worth a shot if you have one laying around..

Just an FYI even with "unlimited data" They still will cap it off at a certain point, meaning the data will slow down. I know T-Mobile is like 5 or 6 GB and then they slow it down to like Dial Up speed. I've been there and done that. I would go over the 5 or 6 gb before the month is over. And that was from occasional youtube video. Downloading videos will take up a ton of the data.

T-Mobile only gives you 2GB before they cut you down to EDGE speed (some plans only give you 200MB) - and they don't even have real 4g.. Verizon had a "true unlimited" plan a couple years ago that some users were grandfathered into as long as they stayed on their current plan with the same phone (or paid full boat for a new phone), but they will not renew contracts with unlimited. Any new or upgrade contract has the 2 or 4GB bucket and then its like $30 per 2GB when you go over. So unless you plan on keeping your current phone forever, don't count on having that unlimited plan forever. You will lose it if you upgrade your phone.

Sprint is the only one left with "true unlimited". Its going to be very interesting in the near future with the Softbank acquisition, and new rumors of a possible buyout of T-Mobile.. Sprint may become the ones to beat, with a fresh cash infusion to throw into the LTE buildout.

Also, unless you are paying $30/mo extra for the Mobile Hotspot feature (which is NOT unlimited, BTW) it is a violation of your terms of service to use it (ie: using hacked hotspot/tethering apps on rooted phones).

Most people get away with it because they are smart about how they use it - because today's apps are bandwidth intensive and it is not unusual to use a few gigs a month on the phone anyway. But you can bet your ass if you start using it as your home internet connection and streaming Directv over it they will catch on quick and they will terminate your service. People doing dumb stuff like that (torrents are another) are why the companies put cap/throttle policies in place to begin with.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using some Tappity Talkity thing.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)