Moca 2 pass thru?

rockchalkjayhawk

Original poster
Mar 28, 2016
Kansas City, MO
I have the Hopper 3 and there is a Moca (?) in the basement where the coax comes in...I assume that this is delivering broadband thru the coax to the Hopper unit? I also have the Hopper next to my Samsung Smart TV that is connected to broadband thru wireless. Can i do something at the Hopper box next to the TV that will pass thru a better broadband connection to the Samsung TV via Ethernet cable instead of the current wireless connection?

Ok, yes...it looks like some sort of device that is feeding broadband into the coax.
It's probably a HIC - Hopper Internet Connector

Dish-Network-Hopper-Internet-Connector-HIC-Broadband.jpg

Ok, Yes, it is a HIC. So, if the internet is running thru the HIC, thru Coax to the Hopper 3...is there anything that you can put between the Coax connection and the Hopper 3 that would let you spilt the internet delivery via network cable to my TV?

Ok, Yes, it is a HIC. So, if the internet is running thru the HIC, thru Coax to the Hopper 3...is there anything that you can put between the Coax connection and the Hopper 3 that would let you spilt the internet delivery via network cable to my TV?

You could put in a 4-port gigabit switch and split the ethernet connection. One output would go to the HIC, another would be the ethernet run to your TV. There isn't a way to get ethernet "out" from the Hopper 3 or its coax feed. So it seems like your best bet is to run an ethernet cable from where the switch would be in your basement up to your living room.

PS- the rule of thumb in the IT world is that you can run up to 300 ft of ethernet cable safely without dropouts. I personally wouldn't run that many feet, but for you to get from your basement to your living room TV might be doable.

s-l300.jpg

Last edited:
There are two ways to do what you want.

Best way: get a second HIC and connect it right before your H3 and run an ethernet cable from the HIC to your TV.

Second way I've heard works but haven't tried): make sure bridging on the H3 is turned on and just run an ethernet cable from the back of the H3 to the TV.

There are two ways to do what you want.

Best way: get a second HIC and connect it right before your H3 and run an ethernet cable from the HIC to your TV.

Second way I've heard works but haven't tried): make sure bridging on the H3 is turned on and just run an ethernet cable from the back of the H3 to the TV.

Are you certain that either of these methods work? Obviously the bridging method would be best (if it works)

Reactions: charlesrshell
my hopper 3 is in the basement, 4k joey upstairs living room. up at the 4k joey, i have a Hopper Internet Connector and a nic cable to the tv for a wired connection. works great, and never an issue. its only 10/100 i believe, my internet is 200mb, so guessing it's not the full speed. but say amazon hdr 4k, it flies. the hopper 3 is wired gigabit,
wireless is tough, tv sits in built ins, next to a fireplace, on top of a zvox 670. have not tried it since i got my new router, but that tv is not in a great location vs my router in the basement mechanical room.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
If you use a 2nd HIC you'll also need a tap. Or at least that's how it worked before the H3 was around.

But it would definitely work. I have mine running to an Ethernet switch for all my AV equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts