MoCA errors and 1305 pop-ups

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

olds403

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
michigan
So I have been getting 1305 - Broadband Connection Lost errors semi-regularly, probably once a week that I have noticed when watching my Joey-3 in the Master Bedroom. Usually just clicking the Guide button will take me to the guide and signal will return but not always.

Saturday it happened again while the wife and stepson were watching a movie on Amazon Prime on the Hopper downstairs and I was watching something else on the Joey 3. Both receivers lost signal. I did a soft reset on the Joey 3 from the menu and then the signal returned on both the Hopper 3 and the Joey 3.

Doing some investigating in the menus I looked at the statistics. It showed 41 MoCA errors, and something like 38 or 39 internal resets. Is this something that will get me a service call to figure out what the issue is if they log in to my Hopper 3 and look at the stats? I don't want to call Dish only to be told they don't see any issues. I have been told it is probably a cabling issue/signal strength issue (HipKat) and would like them to come and fix it but am skeptical about calling them and getting the usual "we don't see any issues" response. Thanks for reading and any suggestions.

Reactions: pjsjeep
I turned my kitchen tv and joey 2 on yesterday, and saw dreadful 'broadband connection lost' statement. Waited 4-5 minutes. It usually goes away, and satellite service starts. Well ,it didn't. Powering off/on Joey did nothing. I had to go to my basement, unplugged Hopper 3 and plugged it back. That took care of it.
I have been getting that issue once a week now. Hopper 3 is connected to my modem/router via wifi. The modem is in a different room and cannot use ethernet cable. I imagine we are not the only ones dealing with this problem.

• Sad
Reactions: charlesrshell
I am having the exact same problem! I have replaced the hopper, gotten a new dish. Sounds like new wiring is needed. Like OP, I don’t want to spend hours “troubleshootingI” with CSR

Dish Support ?

Attachments

• BB0B7DA6-EE37-4C4D-813F-4240E481AEB8.jpeg
    BB0B7DA6-EE37-4C4D-813F-4240E481AEB8.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 155
So I have been getting 1305 - Broadband Connection Lost errors semi-regularly, probably once a week that I have noticed when watching my Joey-3 in the Master Bedroom. Usually just clicking the Guide button will take me to the guide and signal will return but not always.

Saturday it happened again while the wife and stepson were watching a movie on Amazon Prime on the Hopper downstairs and I was watching something else on the Joey 3. Both receivers lost signal. I did a soft reset on the Joey 3 from the menu and then the signal returned on both the Hopper 3 and the Joey 3.

Doing some investigating in the menus I looked at the statistics. It showed 41 MoCA errors, and something like 38 or 39 internal resets. Is this something that will get me a service call to figure out what the issue is if they log in to my Hopper 3 and look at the stats? I don't want to call Dish only to be told they don't see any issues. I have been told it is probably a cabling issue/signal strength issue (HipKat) and would like them to come and fix it but am skeptical about calling them and getting the usual "we don't see any issues" response. Thanks for reading and any suggestions.
Did you ever get fixed?

What model of Joey? Is it intermittent or does it stay on that screen permanently? Do you know what model of satellite Dish/Switch you have? How is the switch wired, Joey on a client port and Hopper on a host?

You may be correct on the cabling, but there could be more to it.

What model of Joey? Is it intermittent or does it stay on that screen permanently? Do you know what model of satellite Dish/Switch you have? How is the switch wired, Joey on a client port and Hopper on a host?

You may be correct on the cabling, but there could be more to it.
I just had a tech out to move and replace dish. I had him double check the switch which he did. It happen almost every night. Joey 3 and new h3. the switch was replaced also. It has to be in wires

It has to be in wires
I hate when that happens. Of course you try replacing every active component first before trying different cables. My worst problem like that was with a NAS that came with 4 short SATA cables going from it's MB to the disk carrier receptacle. I was suffering intermittent disconnects from my SSDs that drove me nuts until I thought to replace those dinky SATA cables and voila. Fixed permanently right way.

I just had a tech out to move and replace dish. I had him double check the switch which he did. It happen almost every night. Joey 3 and new h3. the switch was replaced also. It has to be in wires
Welp, unless your tech was a bad tech then it’s probably the wiring. If you open diagnostics (Home three times > Whole Home (4)) does the connection quality show as Bad/Low? If you are trying to do this yourself then I would start with recrimping the ends of the coax cable, you can get a kit on Amazon to do that for like 20 bucks. Or just have a tech go out and replace the whole cable run.

Welp, unless your tech was a bad tech then it’s probably the wiring. If you open diagnostics (Home three times > Whole Home (4)) does the connection quality show as Bad/Low? If you are trying to do this yourself then I would start with recrimping the ends of the coax cable, you can get a kit on Amazon to do that for like 20 bucks. Or just have a tech go out and replace the whole cable run.
Well, I went under the house and found -see pics- I reattached the hub ground. Should I also do the ground block, it is on host line, which is fairly long. I think it was used as coupler. And several loose connections.

Attachments

• A09D068D-1679-4029-A454-558951EC5D71.jpeg
    A09D068D-1679-4029-A454-558951EC5D71.jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 140
  • F49E72D3-64C4-4282-A023-180105FDC542.jpeg
    F49E72D3-64C4-4282-A023-180105FDC542.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 145
Well, I went under the house and found -see pics- I reattached the hub ground. Should I also do the ground block, it is on host line, which is fairly long. I think it was used as coupler. And several loose connections.
Is that a crawl space or walk under? That equipment is laying on the ground, really! I don't see a ground wire attached to that ground block. You could just as well use a barrel connector in its place.

Is that a crawl space or walk under? That equipment is laying on the ground, really! I don't see a ground wire attached to that ground block. You could just as well use a barrel connector in its place.
Under mobile home. when I attached the hub it lifted off ground. I wondered about barrel also, but should I ground that also? My problem usually happens at night so waiting to see tonight(hopefully grounding fixed).

Well darn it! Didn’t work had problems again tonight. Guess I have to call tech support.
Is it happening every night at the exact same time? Could it be the Hopper doing it’s nightly reboot way earlier then it should (default is 2AM)? Can’t think of anything else that could be interrupting the MoCA signal specifically at night.

I see people use Ground Blocks where they should use Barrel connectors often. It mystifies me, what people are thinking.

Under mobile home. when I attached the hub it lifted off ground. I wondered about barrel also, but should I ground that also? My problem usually happens at night so waiting to see tonight(hopefully grounding fixed).

Grounding is not as important as you think it is and with many homes not having grounds, or other wiring issues, I've seen grounds cause more problems

Any ground blocks need to be bonded to the AC Service entry or there can be ground loops (HUM, you say?) I had a wicked ground loop until I ran a bonding cable from where my Dish and roof antenna cables entered the house back to my service panel. No hum since.

Plan now is I will rerun my host cable and cable to the main Joey(both connect direct to hub). The other 2 Joey’s have a run to a 2way splitter. It happens on atleast 2 of them. I’ll take that ground block out a make one run. Is there a limit on run length?

Reactions: TheKrell
Is it happening every night at the exact same time? Could it be the Hopper doing it’s nightly reboot way earlier then it should (default is 2AM)? Can’t think of anything else that could be interrupting the MoCA signal specifically at night.
No just when you turn on a Joey in another room

Well, for those following this thread, tech came out today. We replaced the host line removing the ground block. New hub. New connectors on most cable ends. Noise within limits. Came in and we turned on the Joey. Boom. Problem occured right away!!!!! At a lost as he called long time techs And they agreed replace host line. For more troubleshooting we have completely disconnected the cat 5 and hopper NOT on internet. Give it couple days and see if happens.

Well, for those following this thread, tech came out today. We replaced the host line removing the ground block. New hub. New connectors on most cable ends. Noise within limits. Came in and we turned on the Joey. Boom. Problem occured right away!!!!! At a lost as he called long time techs And they agreed replace host line. For more troubleshooting we have completely disconnected the cat 5 and hopper NOT on internet. Give it couple days and see if happens.
That would prove it's the internet. BTW, who is your provider and what do you connect the Hopper to (Router, Gateway, etc?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)