Modem Fried

Status
Please reply by conversation.

reissman

Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
Frederick, MD.
During a bad storm the other night, lightning came very close and zapped my HD300 before I could do anything. Somehow the box came alive again, after numerous reboots, except the phone modem (I guess). It is stuck in the "off hook" condition, like it is trying make a call. Of course this made my phone lines busy and off hook. I had to unplug the phone line. I called D* and their only advice was to buy a new box from them for $300. I don't want to do that. My HD300 is great and it looks like it is working as before the lightning. It is a $700 box. I very seldom if ever order a PPV and if I did I can do it on-line. There are just too many changes coming in the next year that I hesitate doing anything. Please tell me I can just hang on till the new equipment comes out.

Which DMA are you in? If you are in the top 20 I wouldn't hesitate to wait rather than trade in the 300 for some crap.

stay with your current box and when you want a pay-per-view go to directs website and set up your account and purchase your pay per views that way-all free. and another trick when you set up your account online just subscribe to 1 premiun like HBO when you get home and there is something you want to watch on showtime go online and take off HBO and add Showtime ect. Its all free and doesnt take any credit cards to do. direct doesnt charge for the program swap this way cause you do it for them.
just my 2 cents.

I am in the Washington D.C. market so I am inclined to hold on to the Sony box and hopefully get a MPEG4 (free) from D*. I understand they will have to send a new dish as well?

Similar Problem

My HD300 was killed by a voltage spike. I sent it to sony, and it only cost 70 dollars to repair.
While it was in it's warranty period I didn't crab about the $$ cause the surge was my fault. (didn't tell them that though)

Haven't had a chance to take off the cover on the 300 yet but I have taken the cover off my HD100 once to disconnect the fan. One thing I found out is there are about 4 fuses in there. Don't want to sound negative but you may have paid $70 to have a fuse changed. That is the next thing I want to check on the 300. An open fuse on the modem ckt may be giving an indication of an off hook.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts