Modem/router Question

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Is there any advantage to keeping the modem and router separate or would a modem/router all in one be okay.

We're dropping Verizon FiOS and going to a cable modem for internet and antenna/streaming for TV. We will save nearly $100 a month this way.

In the past I've always had a separate modem and router but I will end up paying $30 to 40 more to get them separate.

I suppose it depends on what your needs are.For me having a separate modem and router is very important.Comes in handy for port forwarding,and by choosing my own router it's highly customizable.It's been my experience with modem/router aio,there are many limitations to what you can do.But,if your not into gaming and a fair amount of networking then aio should be fine.

Reactions: stimpson
I like to have my own router too. With my cable internet they would charge me a rental fee if I wanted to use their WiFi router. Just a few months of paying the rental fee would add up to the cost of buying my own router that I can use for years. Plus I feel that I can get a better router with more features by picking my own.

I remember reading a story posted here that one of the ISPs was using the routers the give out to turn your connection into a hotspot for other customers. It doesn't count against your data but it would still slow your connection down and I don't want strangers on my network. It wasn't my ISP that was doing this and I can't remember which one it was but I don't like the idea of them having control of my equipment.

Oh I'd be buying my own modem when we do this. I was just curious what the consensus was.

I like the option to upgrade separately. In the eight years I've had Comcast for internet I'm on my second modem but I've changed routers probably five or six times as technology has changed.

Seperate is right. I unknowingly went with a Uverse gateway which is not an "N" router.

In the past I've always had a separate modem and router but I will end up paying $30 to 40 more to get them separate.
If you've already got a suitable router, you can buy a modem for around $70.

Gateways often represent a compromise unless you've been duped into cableco phone service. If you're subscribing to phone service you'll have to take their gateway whether you like it or not.

What do you think of the Netgear N750?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have owned 2 netgear routers over the years,both have always gave excellent results.The only reason I got rid of my first one was to upgrade to n300 gigabit.I can tell you with the N300 I have had no issues streaming,downloading,or coverage area.

I too have had good luck with Netgear for many years.

I switched to Apple Airport Extreme after we changed over to mostly Apple devices.

I'm another vote for separate. Upgrade one or the other as need be, or in case one gets fried and the other's fine. I already had a router when I switched from DSL to cable, and was able to get a free cable modem from my coworker. I like not paying the extra to the ISP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts