Modified Multiswitch for Ortho setup help!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nicknjen

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Mid Michigan
I need help again! I have been reading posts about moding a Eagle Aspen 4X4 or a zinwell switch so I can use it with a ortho type setup so that the 13 volts go to one port and 18 volts go to the other port to do the Horizontal and Vertical polarity switch.

I guess I want to know is what exactly the modification is.. if there is a schematic out there. What I want to do is take an original Birdview LNB that has a separate horizontal and vertical output and use this switch to have the set top box (my openbox)pick the correct polarity with the 13/18 volts. I will also have a power inserter after the switch that will provide about 20 volts power to the Birdview LNB, so I will not need the set top box power pass through the switch to power the LNB.

I want to use the Birdview LNB because they (in member Radio's opinion) are one of the best OEM LNB's and if we mess them up with trial and error, its no big deal because we have about 10 to 15 extra laying around to play with.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1. I don't know how the old Birdview LNB works.
2. if you are actually running an ortho, the idea is to give both LNBs 18 to 20 volts, with neither getting 13 volts.
3. The mod to the multiswitch make it put out 18 to both the V and the H LNB
4. if you use a power inserter, you don't need to mod the multiswitch.
5. multiswithch mods usually consist of changing a 13 volt power regulator to put out 18 volts (pretty simple stuff).

edit: and being 20 years old design & parts, I'll wager a BV LNB won't hold a candle to modern ones (tbd)

Why don't you try it without the multiswitch? I do have an ortho LNBs and I do get both polarities V and H fine without a multiswitch.

I am going to try it this weekend. I should have rephrased on the lnb... its not the "original" original Birdview LNB that would only work with the Birdview receivers.. its the later "modified" Birdview LNB's that had the new what I think was called the "high block" so it would work with other manufactures receivers... so the LNB frequency is 5150. I am going to put a power it with a power inserter on it and see how it works this weekend.

skipticum said:
Why don't you try it without the multiswitch? I do have an ortho LNBs and I do get both polarities V and H fine without a multiswitch.

youd only get one polarity at a time without some form of switching. the ops setup is pretty basic and it seems as tho the op has all the proper gear.

as stated above the multiswitch mod would only be required if not using the power inserter. the mod is simple enuff and pictures can be found by searching the forum for "pendragon 4x8". if one still wanted to use a power inserter then cable the stb -> multswitch out, multiswitch vertical in -> power inserter -> vertical lnb, multiswitch horizonal in -> horizontal lnb.

easy peasy.

crackt out,.

The only way to do it without a multiswitch would be to run 2 separate cables straight into the back of a BUD receiver & choose the appropriate configuration in the setup screen. Then, you would no longer have the ability to do both C & Ku as the two ports would be assigned to the two polarities of what would most likely be C-Band. Many BUD receivers have provisions for this. But that's not common, or what the OP wanted to do.

BTW, ortho is a type of feed... not LNB.

Cheers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts