Monday November 13th, Tech Chat Recap

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Tech Chat Recap Lite

- Save My (Charlie's) Revenue, er, ah, .... Channels
- Apologize for losing my revenue stream
- Video break to pad some minutes
- Announce one new feature, side-by-side PIP
- Slingbox buys a few minutes to pay Charlie's bar bill
- Announce everything else delayed
- We are out of here!!

You are in rare form today Tom :haha

While we're at it, here is recap of tomorrow's uplink report:

-Take off free preview channels
-Uplink locals for one city (but do not make available)
-Switch around a few international channels
-Add new free preview channels

What's this about an HD logo in the guide? I don't have it on my 622, am I supposed to be running anything newer than L365?

I thought the reason why we will have to use Dish Network's external hard drive was due to the fact that the law will not allow them to extract shows unless the shows will only be allowed to be transferred to that one device to prevent copying of the material. I remember it being said that you can use that external hard drive on any receiver on your account that you have activated (that it will work on).

Initially, the external is "expected" to only work with the STB that recorded to it. "Later" the ability to play back on any box on the account would be added.

So no mention of the possibility of controlling TV2 with the slingbox (pro)?

Also *selling* the USB HDD means we get a E* branded external HDD (probably 250GB and 500GB) with a special *tamper resistant* firmware so we can't extract video on a computer!

HDD lease fees I don't see happening, this will be treated more like a pocket dish.

Tamper Resistant my A** Remember these Tamper Resitant items:
Security Torx Screws
Unsecuried wireless networks
Win Xp cd keys
Most of us have all gotten around 1 or more of these in the past.
I see a rush to Best Buy when the E* Esternal HDD drive comes out to buy a copy of Norton Ghost.

by the way Dfergie thanks for the audio byte of me calling in to The Chat.

Tamper Resistant my A** Remember these Tamper Resitant items:
Security Torx Screws
Unsecuried wireless networks
Win Xp cd keys
Most of us have all gotten around 1 or more of these in the past.
I see a rush to Best Buy when the E* Esternal HDD drive comes out to buy a copy of Norton Ghost.

by the way Dfergie thanks for the audio byte of me calling in to The Chat.

I agree. The biggest mistake a company can make is a statement like "Tamper Resistant", this just adds fuel to a hackers fire. Heck, hackers have even figured out how to bypass IE7's validation process.

Interesting, and very sad...

A month or so ago, I said (in another thread) that I had a bad feeling that Dish would try to sell us branded drives for external storage, charge a monthly fee, or both. Unfortunately, it sounds like that's exactly what they plan to do.

Well, it looks like I'll have to start dumping some of the HD programming stored on my drive, because I'm sure not going to be getting any more capacity soon and I agree completely with Scott's challenge! C'mon guys at Dish. If it's ready, just give it to us. Don't charge us extra for it and don't make us have to buy branded Dish drives to use it. I'm not going to pay extra for something my coworkers at the office with Comcast already get for free.

So, there it is. I'm putting my foot down. Drawing a line in the sand, as-it-were. I'm not buying a Dish-branded drive (if that's how you plan to "sell" it) and I'm not paying a monthly fee. End of story. Are you guys at Dish reading this?

Interesting, and very sad...

A month or so ago, I said (in another thread) that I had a bad feeling that Dish would try to sell us branded drives for external storage, charge a monthly fee, or both. Unfortunately, it sounds like that's exactly what they plan to do.

Well, it looks like I'll have to start dumping some of the HD programming stored on my drive, because I'm sure not going to be getting any more capacity soon and I agree completely with Scott's challenge! C'mon guys at Dish. If it's ready, just give it to us. Don't charge us extra for it and don't make us have to buy branded Dish drives to use it. I'm not going to pay extra for something my coworkers at the office with Comcast already get for free.

So, there it is. I'm putting my foot down. Drawing a line in the sand, as-it-were. I'm not buying a Dish-branded drive (if that's how you plan to "sell" it) and I'm not paying a monthly fee. End of story. Are you guys at Dish reading this?

I am with you! This crap has to STOP. I am Dang tired of getting feed to death!!:mad:

I'm with you, I will buy no Dish drive either. It would probably be one that only runs with the 622 anyways. I already paid 200 bux for the receiver, that's enough. PERIOD!

I find it hard to believe that there will be a monthly fee on this thing.

I do believe that they will only allow certain drives to be used with this thing. It will probably employ a similiar IDE locking capability much like we saw on the original XBox versions. I also wouldn't be suprised if the shows are encrypted too.

Dish I know you are reading this. How about it?

Come on Mark Jackson, if it works as good as you say, then lets roll it out. And THAT'S a challange!
Scott, if you haven't heard something pretty soon, I suggest putting this challenge on the front page of the site for all to see.

I concur with the rest, standing behind that line in the sand, won't buy an overpriced "branded" drive, won't pay an extra fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)